Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The dark side of life at Toulon

vCash

The dark side of life at Toulon

AUSSIES Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell love it but life as a highly-paid Toulon star isn’t all sunshine, rainbows and million-dollar deals.

Just ask Wales fullback Leigh Halfpenny.

The British and Irish Lions star was signed by Toulon as the goal-kicking replacement for Jonny Wilkinson. But he is yet to turn out in the red and black as he continues to battle a groin injury.

Halfpenny now faces the very real possibility his contract may be torn up with enigmatic Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal saying his club will conduct a thorough investigation.

“The problem that we have now is that we think he may have arrived at Toulon with that injury,” Boudjellal told French newspaper VarMatin.

“If this is the case, we haven’t ruled out terminating his contract. We’re conducting an investigation. We don’t feel like preparing Halfpenny for Wales, just for the Rugby World Cup.”

The Halfpenny situation comes on the back of conflicting reports about the post-World Cup future of Queensland Reds recruit James O’Connor.

The Reds believe they have signed O’Connor on a two-year deal but Boudjellal was having none of that, saying O’Connor would return to France following next year’s global showpiece.

“We always said James O’Connor had signed for three years at Toulon with a possible six months absence during the season to be able to play in the World Cup … so we respect what has been signed ... He is committed for two years after the Cup,” Boudjellal told Radio Monte Carlo.

What should be a worry to the Reds is that Boudjellal doesn’t like to be told no.

Boudjellal, who made his fortune in comic books, is currently exploring his legal options on the availability of Springboks Bryan Habana and Bakkies Botha, and Pumas backrower Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe.

The Springboks duo and Fernandez Lobbe are currently playing in The Rugby Championship, which wraps up with back-to-back games from Saturday week.

But Boudjellal is demanding the trio return to Toulon immediately and has threatened not to pay them should they fail to do so.

“There is something that is quite simple - they defend the colours of their country and are paid rather comfortably by Toulon,” Boudjellal told French media.

“The IRB decided the rules. That’s fine but I’m not here to fund South African and Argentine rugby and I will not.

“These players will return as we need them. If they do not and we receive no fee, they will not be paid by us because they will not be present in Toulon.

“We’ll see if the rules of the IRB prevail or if it is the rules of the Labour Code for French private enterprise. In any case, it is an aberration.

“We have reached a stage where we have to ask the opinion of the French law. Therefore, we will ask the French judges whether a foreign federation has the right to take my employees and force me to pay them.

“It’s just unthinkable we have players who are paid very well by us but cannot play them. Moreover, I have to pay the players replacing them. This is a double sanction.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/l...1227061353616F

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This was bound to happen eventually I suppose (referring more to the second half of the article).

Last edited by beige; 17-09-14 at 13:08.

vCash
    I fail to understand how there can possibly be a difference of opinion over something as black and white as the length of someone's contact!! Sounds like someone has been pulling the wool over someone else's eyes

vCash
    (Again referring to the second part of the article) What does their contract say?

C'mon the

vCash
    From back in February

Big-spending French Top 14 side Toulon has agreed a one-year deal with Australian back James O'Connor, club president Mourad Boudjellal announced on Thursday.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-0...r-deal/5244294

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I fail to understand how there can possibly be a difference of opinion over something as black and white as the length of someone's contact!! Sounds like someone has been pulling the wool over someone else's eyes
    I agree all of the issues mentioned in the article are a joke and should be very easily solved:

1) Did Halfpenny have a medical done with Toulon prior to signing? If he did and he passed that medical then it should be too bad for Toulon; If he didn't have one then that is their problem too.

2) How can a professional rugby club sign someone with an overlapping contract without a get out clause or something from the first one, what a joke; and

3) Surely Toulon should be signing players based on the possibility that they might represent their country and that is too bad and if they want to then they can agree to a lower contact with the player at the start to take into account the fact that they might miss a few games. They cannot withhold money now they wouldn't have a leg to stand on surely.

vCash
    What's the bet that Mourad Boudjellal is running out of money?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    What's the bet that Mourad Boudjellal is running out of money?
    He's not running out of bullshit, maybe he should sell some of that!

C'mon the

vCash
    I fail to understand how there can possibly be a difference of opinion over something as black and white as the length of someone's contact!!
    There speaks someone who's never had dealings with a lawyer!

With apologies to all lawyers on this site - I think there are at least two!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    European club owners - always looking out for the best interests of rugby as a whole.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

I for one am having lots of experience with lawyers! The "other side" in our case are dragging things out hoping " as humble me sees it" that we will run out of patience and FUNDS and give up! Bastards!

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

I know they can argue black is white until they're blue in the face but surely a contract has dates in it?? Even lawyers can't argue 2 years means 3 years or 1 year, surely??!!

vCash
    I know they can argue black is white until they're blue in the face but surely a contract has dates in it?? Even lawyers can't argue 2 years means 3 years or 1 year, surely??!!
    They don't have to PROVE that black equals white, they only have to sustain the argument for long enough (see hertryks post)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Ok, so maybe the lawyers for the employee didn't do a good enough job of checking the contract before their client signed it then??!

vCash
    Ok, so maybe the lawyers for the employee didn't do a good enough job of checking the contract before their client signed it then??!
    Maybe, but they might have done an excellent job for themselves as they get to re-check and argue about it!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast