Les Bleus look to step up
PA Sport
Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 09:28 AM (AEST)

Julien Bonnaire France number eight Julien Bonnaire has demanded Les Bleus nudge their World Cup back on track in Toulouse by 'cutting loose' against Namibia.

The hosts, who have been widely tipped to win the tournament, were left reeling by Argentina's magnificent 17-15 triumph in Paris on the opening day.

Knowing they can not afford to lose another match if they are to reach the quarter-finals, the result has cranked up the pressure on Bernard Laporte's side.

In six days they face a do-or-die showdown against heavyweight Pool D rivals Ireland, but first they must put as many points as possible on Namibia.

Namibia troubled Ireland in its opener but Bonnaire insists France is determined to take out the frustration of a bitter start to the World Cup on the Africans.

"It was a bad situation against Argentina. We have to completely turn the page" said the Bourgoin back row.

"We don't have time to relax and we have prepared seriously for Namibia. We want to enjoy ourselves and finally cut loose."

"We were honest with each other and everyone has their own responsibilities. We can only look at ourselves."

"There are always highs and lows and we have to know how to bounce back. We are big boys and we have three matches in which to qualify."

Frederic Michalak will be one of keys to France's hopes of securing a bonus point against Namibia, with the Toulouse fly-half, playing on familiar territory, benefiting from an injury to David Skrela.

Skrela was replaced by Michalak against Argentina after damaging his Achilles and the Stade Francais playmaker is not expected to be fit until the final pool match against Georgia.

Installed as Laporte's first choice outside-half, Skrela could see his grip on the number 10 shirt loosen if the gifted but flaky Michalak fires against Namibia and Ireland.

"I want to help the team move forward and progress in the group," said Michalak.

"I will to stick to the gameplan and try to play as well as I possibly can - without asking myself whether I will be selected next time or not."

"We all really want to play and win this match. I am really looking forward to it."

"After being out for six months with a knee ligament injury, which was devastating, I just want to get on the pitch and play."

Namibia flanker Michael MacKenzie, one of three opensides selected in the back row, insists his side is ready to meet the French backlash.

"I think France will come back 200 per-cent stronger. They know they need to win, they are the host nation and can't go out," he said.

"It will be our hardest game in the competition, especially as it is make or break for them. We all know they will give everything."

"But they are people just like us. They are going to be very physical and we know they will be on to us all the time."

"We need to absorb the pressure and go from there."