Thread: SMH Prediction 2008 - Reds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

SMH Prediction 2008 - Reds

New Mooney goes back to the future

Greg Growden | February 15, 2008

THE Queensland coaching job has not been the most appealing position in recent years. Coaches have come and coaches have gone as the Reds have slumped to become regular also-rans, suffering the indignity last year of finishing last.
    After the long reign of John Connolly, the position has gone from Mark McBain to Andrew Slack to Jeff Miller to Eddie Jones, with the standards of a once-potent province steadily slipping.

This year the Reds have opted for a lesser-known character in Phil Mooney in the hope that the "softly, softly" approach will at last revive a sense of pride and power in Brisbane.

Mooney is not as well known as the steady line of Wallabies who preceded him as head coach, but he is still deeply entrenched in the Reds, his family having been linked to Queensland rugby for almost 90 years.

His grandfather, Tom Mooney, played for Queensland in 1919, while his late father Paul, a 20-season stalwart in Brisbane club rugby, played in the volatile 1954 home Tests series against Fiji as the Wallabies hooker. Paul Mooney was also instrumental in the establishment of Queensland junior rugby, and coached Queensland under-19s teams for more than a decade.

So Phil Mooney as a youngster soon knew his way around Ballymore, watching the likes of Tony Shaw, Mark Loane and Paul McLean from the stands, and then progressing to Queensland Schoolboys and state under-21s.

Not surprisingly since taking over the head coaching spot, Mooney has been stressing the importance of past ideals.

At the Super 14 launch in Sydney last week, Mooney said the Reds were returning to the traditional jersey they wore when successful in the 1990s. In another novel move, for the first time in many years Mooney has opened up the Queensland dressing rooms to the media in the hope it will revive healthy relationships. The vibrations sound encouraging, but in the end it will all revolve around what happens on the field. If the Reds continue to fail, Mooney is destined to go the same way as his predecessors - seeking other employment.

At least Mooney has something to work with because the Reds boast a squad that should make considerable progress up the Super 14 ladder.

There is nothing wrong with the pack, especially as it boasts several of the most lively forwards in Australia - in particular back-rower Hugh McMeniman and second-rower James Horwill. The back row is solid, and has enough hard-heads in John Roe and David Croft to provide consistency.

The back line is somewhat more flaky, but if Sam Cordingley can enjoy an injury-free season and play regularly with Wallabies five-eighth Berrick Barnes, the Reds will play with greater vibrancy than last year, when so often it seemed they had absolutely no idea what they were doing.

The signing of utility back Morgan Turinui from NSW will also work in the Reds' favour. As long as the injuries stay away, because depth is flimsy, don't be surprised if the Reds are the big improvers, and another Mooney finds himself being described as a Queensland saviour.

HERALD EXPERTS' TIPS
    Greg Growden 8th. Rupert Guinness 13th. Phil Wilkins 11th. Spiro Zavos 11th. Last year: 14th

THE SQUAD: Geoff Abram, Josh Afu, Ole Avei, Berrick Barnes, Rodney Blake, Caleb Brown, Quade Cooper, Sam Cordingley, Ben Coutts, David Croft, Ben Daley, Charlie Fetoai, AJ Gilbert, Sean Hardman, Greg Holmes, James Horwill, Leroy Houston, Van Humphries, Peter Hynes, Will Genia, Digby Ioane, Lloyd Johansson, Ben Lucas, Hugh McMeniman, Stephen Moore, Ed O'Donoghue, John Roe, Clinton Schifcofske, Chris Siale, Rob Simmons, Morgan Turinui, Brando Va'aulu, Henari Veratau, Andrew Walker.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    our friend growden has the reds finishing above the force, now theres a surprise........

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    our friend growden has the reds finishing above the force, now theres a surprise........
    and both way below the brumbies and the tahs. playing to their audience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    and both way below the brumbies and the tahs. playing to their audience.
    and on reflection on tonights game they know alot about rugby...........

vCash
    I reckon they'll finish better than last year (wouldn't be hard!) but not higher than 10th.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    i dont think the reds are going to win the competition, but i think they are going to do better then the brumbies..

I mean the brumbies have lost a great deal of experience, especially now after tonight since Rathbone, AAC and Mortlock are all out injured.

vCash
    Mmmmm Tough call after tonight TOCC. I think the Reds pretty much did what they wanted tonight, but it looked like they faded pretty badly, and were unable to put a bonus point on against a pretty hapless looking Highlanders side.

The Brumbies on the other hand looked woeful....they would have learned heaps from what they went through tonight, and they will change as a result.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, The Reds don't look like they have much improvement in them, The Brumbies look like they have miles they can go.

I guess neither team will threaten too much this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Brumbies didn't check in above the Reds in the end!

C'mon the

vCash
    I would argue that the Reds have a greater capability of learning and improving.

When you have a backline which features players which have come from all around and the country and also players that missed a whole season due to injury, then this would be the biggest point of improvement. Also while a few of them are realatively young(siale/barnes/ioane) they all have a few seasons of S14 training and development under there belt.

The forwards are my biggest worry, blake and holmes really started to fade in the second half, whether this is more related to match fitness or just being to big i dont know.

As for the brumbies, well they were terrible, Huxley didnt even seem to know the rules, Lealifano is definetly lacking in control and experience, and any time there backline got the ball they just crabbed sideways. They will be a weak team until they get AAC and Mortlock back from injury.

vCash
    Highlanders towelled Auckland in the second half last week. They used the same game plan this week, and credit to the Reds defence - they held on.

The Reds have an enormous amount of improvement in them. Injury free, they will worry a lot of teams this year.

Anyway, they've got the points in the bank for this week - on to Wellington.

vCash
    [QUOTE=GIGS20;104743]
    The Brumbies on the other hand looked woeful....they would have learned heaps from what they went through tonight, and they will change as a result.

Well, on the other hand, that was the worst performance by the Brumbies that I've ever seen. I think that will crush their confidence.

The Reds will have gained some confidence and if they can put together a few more early season wins, they will get harder to beat.

Super 14 is a confidence tournament - get a bit of confidence and you start to get the rub of the green.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    The Reds will have gained some confidence and if they can put together a few more early season wins, they will get harder to beat.

Super 14 is a confidence tournament - get a bit of confidence and you start to get the rub of the green.
    You're on the money there tic...I can't argue with that logic!

I hope you're right...a competitive Reds will calm JO'N down enough to stop him pointing bones at us...I don't share your confidence quite so strongly.....but that doesn't surprise me.

As for the Brumbies....I said they were woeful....you quoted me....I said the Reds played well...you didn't quote that....I was saying that I didn't see as much improvement in the Reds as in the Brumbies......confidence might make all the difference (as well as another key injury to the Brumbies)

We'll see!

C'mon the