Thread: Wallabies sink to biggest ever loss

vCash

Wallabies sink to biggest ever loss

I put "........" for the bits I cut out of the article. If for nothing else, read the last sentence of the article.

Wallabies sink to biggest ever loss
    AAP - August 31, 2008, 6:21 am

A Drew Mitchell consolation try in the 57th minute brought it back to 39-8 but Australia's case of the dropsies continued against a Boks side full of running and Ruan Pienaar scored a classy individual try in the 69th minute for 46-8 before Odwa Ndungane iced the cake a minute from time.

The Wallabies will need a massive improvement to be any chance of wresting the Tri-Nations title from New Zealand when they meet in Brisbane on September 13, but their wins over the Springboks in Perth and Durban meant they retained the Nelson Mandela Challenge Plate.

"I guess what's evident is how much it took us to lift the Mandela silverware so we've achieved something and we've got the opportunity to go on and achieve more so we'll hang on to that," Deans said.

"We've got the opportunity now to regroup and get back and focus on what is a fantastic opportunity in Brisbane."

A big, altitude-enhanced kicking game from the Boks, and fumbles, soft defence in the centre and poor lineout throwing from Australia had helped South Africa to their early dominance.

Veteran Springboks fullback Percy Montgomery announced his retirement from international rugby after the game.

The full article is here.
    Wallabies sink to biggest ever loss - Yahoo!7 Sport

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Percy Montgomery retires
    30 August 2008 (Posted: 19:18)

Record-holding Springbok fullback Percy Montgomery announced his retirement from international rugby following the Springboks’ 53-8 victory over Australia at Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg on Saturday.
    The 34-year-old made the announcement at the press conference following his 102nd Test match, bringing down the curtain on a storied Test career during which he won the Rugby World Cup (2007) and the Vodacom Tri-Nations twice (1998 and 2004).

“Not many players get to choose when they want to leave Test rugby and I think that is what makes today so special for me because I know that at Test level it is time to go,” said Montgomery.

“I have had many memorable moments in the Bok jersey and some testing ones as well, but I would never exchange one moment of either the highs or the lows.

“It has been a privilege to play for my country and to play in some of the best teams the world has seen. I also feel blessed as a player to have played against so many great players and so many different countries.

“Today is one of thank yous to those who have helped me be the Springbok I was – to every coach who helped develop my talent and to every Bok teammate who experienced those highs and lows with me. Thank you.

Montgomery made his Test debut against the British and Irish Lions in the second Test of the 1997 season and his career spanned 12 seasons – including two when he was unavailable for selection as he pursued a club career in Wales.

He holds the record for the most caps (102) in Springbok history as well as the most points (893), most conversions (153) and penalties (148) among a host of other scoring feats, including the most points in Test for the Springboks (35), achieved against Namibia in 2007. He also scored 25 tries and kicked six drop goals in his Springbok career.

Montgomery will continue to play at provincial level for Vodacom Western Province in the Absa Currie Cup and said he would be available to play for the Stormers in the Vodacom Super 14 in 2009.

“Tonight is about thanking Peter [de Villiers], Dick [Muir], and Gary [Gold] for seeing value in my role in their first season as Bok coaches. Thank you for believing in me and allowing me an opportunity to earn 100 Test caps.

“I was asked why I would come back after a high of winning the World Cup in France, but for me every time I put on a Bok jersey was a high and I got to do that eight more times this year.

“Thanks also to those who supported me. There is no better place to play rugby than in South Africa and never stop believing in the Springboks because just like the Blou Bul [Blue Bulls]: “’n Springbok eet nie van die floer af nie n ‘n Springbok ken nie van verloof af nie.’ [The Springbok doesn’t eat scraps and the Springbok doesn’t know how to lose.”]

“Finally I just want to thank my mom, dad and my wife Tasmin for always believing in me. “

SA Rugby manager of national teams Andy Marinos said: “We are truly blessed to have had a player such as Monty play out his career for us.

“He has produced some special moments over the years and has been a remarkable player and individual who has been a true credit to his country and the Springboks.”

SA Rugby - www.sarugby.co.za - The official home of rugby in South Africa

vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    but good luck percy in the near future!
    you have done the boks proud!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White