Thread: Wesley v Scotch 2007

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wesley v Scotch 2007

I have left this too long to do a proper write up however I enjoyed going back to watch the Scotch 1st XV go around again while I was in the big smoke.
    They pulled off a very impressive come from behind second half to record a convincing victory. Beaver or Pruc may be able to add the scoring details, I think it was around 10-21 in the end to Scotch.
    It was interesting watching a match without knowing a single thing (apart from their School obviously) about any of the players.
    On balance I really don't think the standard on the day was much better or worse than in the 80-90's when I was involved. The Scotch crowd numbers were similar to what would have been a Home Match for us, so that is improving. The number of "accents" along the sideline was also a notable experience.
    I was impressed by the level of support from the 2nd XV both in the lead up and during the match but especially in celebrating.
    I'll admit I was mainly looking to the Scotch players however I was especially impressed with our #3, #9, #10, #15 and (I think) #14, although the rest played really well and it was a team effort at the end of the day.
    Special note to the Scotch Fullback who played on after a very decent hit which must have violated a rib or two!
    One disappointing thing which I noticed was the amount of "negative support" which came from ESPECIALLY the parents. The outright bagging of the officials (especially the Ref in the 2nds who admittedly had a shocker) was at times embarrassing and a terrible example to be perpetuating to our Juniors.
    At this level surely we should be encouraging our youth to be playing hard but fair to whistle, respecting the officials and accepting he isn't going to change so get on with the match.
    I know I got a bit peeved with some of the calls and, maybe, if I knew some of the individuals I may have found it hard to bite my tongue, but at the same time I am not a parent either.
    There is so much that can be offered to boost your team rather than denigrate the officials and distract your team...anyway, here endith the rant...
    Overall I had a really enjoyable day and must admit to have gotten itchy fingers and shoulders to get out there again myself, hopefully I will be able to get to some more matches soon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    One disappointing thing which I noticed was the amount of "negative support" which came from ESPECIALLY the parents. The outright bagging of the officials (especially the Ref in the 2nds who admittedly had a shocker) was at times embarrassing and a terrible example to be perpetuating to our Juniors.
    Maybe the officials should exercise their powers and request said parents to "Piss Off if they can't keep their gobs shut"

Wouldn't expect anything less from a Scotch Fullback, they are hard bastards

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    As pruc might say, not necessarily hard, but you got the second part right...

vCash
    I was at that game as well. Scotch made a come from behind win in the second half. I thought it was a good close game, but Scotch seemed to be dominating more in the breakdowns. Their backline seemed a bit rusty, especially in the centres where the ball always seemed to be knocked-on. And it was good clean-up work by the forwards who managed to win the ball back in the scrums.

I thought the #1,#3, #10 and #15 had a good game. I think #10, Mark Grant, got the best on ground for Scotch. His kicking game was really good and it got Scotch out of trouble quite a lot.
    I have to say the Ref for the 10s and 2nd XV (it was the same ref) was quite a shocker. Some, actually most, of his calls were quite dubious and could be looked at again. At least to look on the brighter side, there was a referee coach there watching as well and hopefully, he'll help that ref pull his game up.

This game was definitely a good lead up to the next match against Wesley. We can all be assured the Syme Shield will be an interesting one to watch this year.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce

I have to say the Ref for the 10s and 2nd XV (it was the same ref) was quite a shocker. Some, actually most, of his calls were quite dubious and could be looked at again. At least to look on the brighter side, there was a referee coach there watching as well and hopefully, he'll help that ref pull his game up.
    umm for a year 10 ref he was awesome. see someone can see my POV with the standard of reffing=].

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I know the one that gave the Scotch sideline the most grief during the 2nds was when he gave a twenty meter advantage to Wesley to see the ball held up in goal, so he went back to the twenty meter for them to take a shot. Never seen that before!
    Just an example and he was consistently inconsistent for both sides so I'm not complaining in terms of the result for the 2nds.
    Noticed the Ref Coach there gotheforce, I reckon he nearly needed a new pen after the 2nds match, was writing furiously
    Hoping to get to watch again this Saturday, at home against Trinity I believe?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Don't ask me anything.

I wasn't there.

vCash
    Hale had a BYE. Next week away at Aquinas for the 10's, should be good.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Champion
    vCash
    i thought the ref was alright. he played the bad calls both ways. it wasnt as if the penalty count was lopsided.

vCash
    I thought he was inconsistent and was quite clueless at the scrums. Once the scrum collapsed, he penalised the team not putting the ball in, but failed to even explain why he was awarding the penalty from. I was actually talking to the referee coach after the match and even he agreed that most of the time, the Wesley prop was pulling down the Scotch prop. I remember that advantage, Burgs. That was shocking. I think it was actually a 30m advantage. Notice one of the Scotch boys had to be held back after the fulltime whistle blew? Apparently, he was gonna have a go at the ref.

I'm not saying the referee was biased. I'm just saying he made a lot of bad calls both ways. And i'm sure the 10s game would turn out much different if he had ref-ed better. Even the Wesley coach, Patty, told me that it's one of those matches where the result doesn't reflect the domination of the game. This coming from your coach, pruc!!

Scotch plays trinity next i think. It's like an official day for Old Boys to come back and watch the Winter Sports. So 1st XV and 2nd XV both play home. I'll definitely be down there to support the 1st XV. Might even be assigned to referee a match, who knows?!