Is O'Connor the next Giteau?
By Peter Badel
March 09, 2008

Is O'Connor the next Giteau? - Rugby - Fox Sports

THIS is the Gold Coast sensation being hailed as the next Matt Giteau.

The conundrum for Australian rugby is keeping New Zealand, South Africa and rugby league scouts at arm's length. In an unprecedented scenario, Western Force utility back James O'Connor is eligible to represent rugby's three southern-hemisphere powerhouses.

And if the good judges are on the money, Australia's fiercest foes will be banging down doors to get their hands on him. Still just 17, O'Connor has evoked comparisons with Wallabies dynamo Giteau since turning his back on rugby league three years ago to forge a career in rugby.

Snared by the Force from Queensland's Nudgee College, O'Connor has already featured in Super 14 trials and is set to be drafted into Australia's Sevens team to play at the Hong Kong Sevens.

Off-contract at season's end, O'Connor is being targeted by the Reds, and Force chief executive Mitch Hardy admits he faces a fight to retain the teenager.

"You'd be mad not to have a crack at him," Hardy said. "Potentially, we are looking at a Matt Giteau-type player in the way he can find a gap and hit players with long passes. He's certainly got the skill attributes of a Matt Giteau. We are really keen to retain his services. We have put an offer to James and I've had a discussion with the ARU about his potential, so I'd like to have him signed by the end of the month.

"James has the potential to go places, it just depends if he wants to play rugby union or rugby league.

"He's only 17 so potentially he could be going to the next World Cup at 20. He's a great kid and one of the best young talents coming through in rugby."

Rugby runs deep in the O'Connor family tree. His father Warren, born in Auckland, and grandfather both played high-level rugby in New Zealand. O'Connor's mother is South African and his great-grandfather went close to representing the Springboks. While his preference is to represent the Wallabies, the teenager is keeping his options open.

"I'm eligible to play for the big rugby nations," said O'Connor, who held a scholarship with NRL side Parramatta at age 14 before switching to rugby.

"I'd like to play for the Wallabies but I'm not ruling out anything, so we'll see what happens."

The more pressing issue is living up the hype swirling around him.

The Australian Schoolboy, 180cm and 83kg, is still coming to terms with having his ego stroked by Force teammates. They see the spectre of Giteau magic in him, and the promise within his blinding acceleration and game-breaking footwork.