Thread: City of churches falls for game they play in sevens

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

City of churches falls for game they play in sevens

City of churches falls for game they play in sevens

GREG GROWDEN

March 22, 2010
    MONDAY MAUL

It's not always smart to admit you spent your early years in Adelaide, the weird crime capital of Australia. Neither does it help that some distant members of the Monday Maul family hail from near Snowtown, where bodies found in barrels became all the fashion, and that a cousin's place in Adelaide was supposed to have later been inhabited by those involved in the Truro murders.
    All vehemently denied, of course, by certain relatives.
    Growing up a Croweater certainly taught you not to talk to strangers, maintain an open mind and be prepared for everything. Still, there was a shock to the senses when surfing pay TV over the weekend, the Adelaide Sevens tournament suddenly appeared on the screen.
    In South Australia, the only footy that matters is AFL and the common enemy is those who wear the big V - mongrel dog Victorians who pilfered South Australian talent for years until they were forced to accept two teams, the Crows and Port Adelaide - into their own competition.
    And for years Adelaide Oval was the state's showpiece for Aussie Rules. But on the weekend, this majestic ground embraced something else - the spirit of international rugby.
    The Adelaide Oval terraces were buzzing and full of colour as a large, vibrant crowd got into Sevens football. Near the Victor Richardson Gates there was more atmosphere than at recent Waratahs matches at the Sydney Football Stadium.
    And that is nothing new for Adelaide, even if it is hardly an Australian rugby hothouse. Sure, there is a local rugby competition, but it is well below Shute Shield standard. Yet each time representative rugby comes to Adelaide, it is an event.
    Ask anyone who wandered around the country during the 2003 World Cup what was their highlight and many will pinpoint the weekend the tournament came to Adelaide.
    It became a massive 48-hour party and numerous pubs in the middle of town were worried they would run out of beer because of all the rugger-buggers who had invaded the city.
    Even the Wallabies got into the intoxicating spirit by putting the Adelaide Oval into the rugby history books as the venue for their biggest win - defeating Namibia 142-0.
    Now the annual Adelaide tournament has become a critical part of the world Sevens circuit.
    Sevens football doesn't get much publicity but is an important stepping stone for numerous aspiring Australian representative players.
    After all, Matt Giteau, James O'Connor and Adam Ashley-Cooper are former Australian Sevens players, while two youngsters who were on last year's Wallabies northern hemisphere tour - Luke Morahan and Richard Kingi - hail from Sevens. Current Australian Sevens captain Patrick McCutcheon last week signed a two-year contract with the Waratahs.
    The game, made famous by the Hong Kong tournament - where bonhomie and binge drinking has been as much a lure as the flashy football on show - is now being treated far more seriously thanks to the decision to introduce Sevens as an Olympic sport, starting in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
    Suddenly, some big names want to play Sevens again. Rio has that effect on certain people, and the Australian Olympic team is bound to include numerous front-line Wallabies. But if the current squad continues its strong form on the international Sevens circuit, alterations might be difficult to make before Rio and, sooner, the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
    ''There's two sides to it, there's the profile of the game, and it is a one-off opportunity as in once every four years and most players if they're lucky will only get one crack at it,'' Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said.
    It is still not wise to talk to strangers in the City of Churches, but despite Australia's 24-12 loss to eventual champions Samoa yesterday, on the weekend Adelaide happily reminded all of the value of Sevens rugby, the game's wide tentacles, and how the most unexpected of towns take to it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0321-qo55.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i think it would be a better investment on the Gold Coast

vCash
    I had no idea it was even on over the weekend

vCash
    Saw some of it on Friday - entertaining as always...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i think it would be a better investment on the Gold Coast
    Been to the sevens in Adelaide, TOCC? It is one of the few weekends a year where gayfl has to take a back seat, especially this weekend as it was fantastic planning that put it 1 week before the gayfl season starts.

Those of us in SA who follow rugby very rarely get the opportunity to watch it live in our own backyard. With no wallaby tests in the future scheduled for Adelaide, this is the only chance that the SA public has to see top class rugby live. Note - originally the first test against Italy last year was supposed to be played in Adelaide, but it was moved to Canberra due to the refurbishment of Adelaide Oval.

I don't dispute the fact that the sevens on the Gold Coast would enhance the party atmosphere of the event compared with Adelaide. The gold coast can have the sevens, as long as we are granted the tri-nations test that is held at Suncorp every year to be played at the refurbished Adelaide Oval (will be ready for ashes this year).

Sounds like a fair swap to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Those of us in SA who follow rugby very rarely get the opportunity to watch it live in our own backyard. .
    So much so that it kept TWF's frequent flier away from MEBS last Saturday. The boys obligingly went within a referee's rissole of extending the curse too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Been to the sevens in Adelaide, TOCC? It is one of the few weekends a year where gayfl has to take a back seat, especially this weekend as it was fantastic planning that put it 1 week before the gayfl season starts.

Those of us in SA who follow rugby very rarely get the opportunity to watch it live in our own backyard. With no wallaby tests in the future scheduled for Adelaide, this is the only chance that the SA public has to see top class rugby live. Note - originally the first test against Italy last year was supposed to be played in Adelaide, but it was moved to Canberra due to the refurbishment of Adelaide Oval.

I don't dispute the fact that the sevens on the Gold Coast would enhance the party atmosphere of the event compared with Adelaide. The gold coast can have the sevens, as long as we are granted the tri-nations test that is held at Suncorp every year to be played at the refurbished Adelaide Oval (will be ready for ashes this year).

Sounds like a fair swap to me.
    no i havent been to the adelaide sevens, but it doesnt take a genius to realise that a IRB Sevens on the Gold Coast would generate more publicity then it does in Adelaide, in turn giving the IRB and ARU more value for there investment.

As for a tri nations match, you gotta be kidding yourself, Gold Coast should be entitled to a test match before Adelaide is.

For those of you who do follow rugby in SA, you should feel blessed that you were given the IRB Sevens, but what you also need to realise that there are more rugby fans on the Gold Coast then there is in Adelaide.

vCash
    but what you also need to realise that there are more rugby fans on the Gold Coast then there is in Adelaide.
    If that was the critical criterion, how many events would be held in Dubai? Looking at the attendances, sponsorship and in-bound tourist numbers would be a bit closer to the mark.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the good part about Adelaide as hosts is similar as to Hong Kong, the very fact that there are comparitively few locals following the code allows a huge swell of tourism for the city and Australia as there are plenty of great seats if you get in early. It hasn't worked out for me yet but I certainly plan to get to the tournament one day and it is far more likely I would get there than the Gold Coast.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    no i havent been to the adelaide sevens, but it doesnt take a genius to realise that a IRB Sevens on the Gold Coast would generate more publicity then it does in Adelaide, in turn giving the IRB and ARU more value for there investment.

As for a tri nations match, you gotta be kidding yourself, Gold Coast should be entitled to a test match before Adelaide is.

For those of you who do follow rugby in SA, you should feel blessed that you were given the IRB Sevens, but what you also need to realise that there are more rugby fans on the Gold Coast then there is in Adelaide.
    Expanded season next year so make the Reds play a game down on the Gold Coast!

vCash
    Adelaide Sevens is brilliant - well worth a visit. I think because they don't get much international rugby, the city goes all out to celebrate it in style. It's a party weekend!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If that was the critical criterion, how many events would be held in Dubai? Looking at the attendances, sponsorship and in-bound tourist numbers would be a bit closer to the mark.
    the only reason Adelaide is hosting it is becasue the SA Govt came forward with a large offer to host the event, when it comes up for renegotiation i dont doubt that somewhere like the Gold Coast will defiently put there hand up and also present a large offer.

When its factored in that the Gold Coast offers a larger media exposure opportunity, larger crowds and more adapt facilities, it will be hard to ignore.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah, close TOCC, but it will be Melbourne, the sporting event cleptomaniacs...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    probably, admittedly they would do quite well at hosting the event, the did prove there support during the commonwealth games when the sevens were run there, having quite healthy crowds.

They also see the economic benefits of luring such a event to there city.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd bloody love it if 7s came to Perth.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast