Thread: Horwill set to commit to great love

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Horwill set to commit to great love

Wayne Smith | May 18, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WALLABIES second-rower James Horwill has given his clearest indication yet he intends re-signing with the Queensland Rugby Union to again lead the Reds in 2010.

Horwill is one of four key Test players the Reds are battling to retain, along with five-eighth Berrick Barnes, second-rower Hugh McMeniman and winger Digby Ioane.
    But while McMeniman and Ioane continue to play their cards close to their chest, Barnes last week all but announced he would be re-signing and in the wake of the Reds' feisty 37-38 loss to the Hurricanes on Saturday, Horwill followed suit.

"It's fair to assume," Horwill, 23, replied when asked if he would be staying with the Reds. "I love to play for Queensland and I'm very proud to captain this side."

The veteran of 10 Tests said that for the first time in his four years in the side, the Reds were unlikely to be devastated by mass end-of-season defections. "This is the first time we've had a team stick together," he said. "Twelve guys left last year. Look at the teams that do well, those that stick together."

Reds coach Phil Mooney said yesterday he was optimistic about the Reds surging up the Super 14 table next season after finishing second last, with only three wins from 13 starts this year.

"We don't have a huge turnover of players and so we've basically got a group of young guys coming into their own next year," he said.

He specifically singled out loosehead Ben Daley, 20, for praise after another powerhouse display, both in the scrum and around the field, against the Hurricanes.

"Ben has real drive and desire, and passion like that gives a real edge to the squad," Mooney said.

While the Reds are focusing on developing their young side, they also are well aware of the need to provide an experienced core, with Mooney indicating Queensland might yet reopen talks with former All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid, now that his deal with Llanelli has fallen over. "I've had informal talks with Braidy and if he wants to stay, we'd certainly look at it," Mooney said.

Otherwise, the Reds will have to get serious in their search for a ball-scavenging flanker, particularly given the IRB's rule clarification stipulating the first player legally over the ball does not have to take his hands off it, even after the referee has called "ruck".

Still, there was much to admire about Andrew Shaw's second outing for Queensland against the Hurricanes. The son of former Wallabies captain Tony Shaw looked a little lost on debut against the Crusaders, but Mooney's decision to stick with him was rewarded when he made far more of an impact against the Wellington side. "He reminded me at times of David Croft," said Mooney. High praise indeed.

While the scoreline flattered the Reds, who meekly gave up a four-try bonus point to the Hurricanes after only 32 minutes, it nonetheless was encouraging how well the young, injury-decimated side fought on in the second half, even if the New Zealanders went into survival mode to preserve themselves for their semi-final showdown against the Chiefs.

In a sense, the final act of the match encapsulated the Reds season, as they kept the ball alive for two minutes after the fulltime siren, only to turn over possession just when it seemed they were about to score.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015656,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    James Horwill re-signs with ARU and Reds

QUEENSLAND skipper James Horwill has re-signed with the ARU and the Reds for a further two years.

The giant lock celebrated his 24th birthday by completing contract negotiations with the Reds before the Wallabies' squad goes into training camp next week.

"I love playing for Queensland and the Wallabies and I was honoured to play my 50th game for Queensland as the captain,'' Horwill said.

"My focus now is to help the Reds enjoy the consistent success the coaches and team are working hard to achieve.''

Horwill has played 10 internationals for Australia and made his Reds' debut in the Super 14 in 2006.

The Reds have struggled in recent seasons and finished second last in this year's Super 14 series ahead of South Africa's Cheetahs.

AFP

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015652,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!