Thread: Bulls embarrassed in PE

vCash

Bulls embarrassed in PE

Cape Town – It would be far too early to assume that the good times are suddenly rolling again on the rugby front in the Eastern Cape.

A late-January triumph by the Southern Kings in a friendly against the Bulls, fielding a decidedly second-tier combination – and in some cases only third or fourth personnel in key positions – isn’t enough to warrant the word “renaissance” in Port Elizabeth and surrounds.

No, it might be a while yet before men in red and black jerseys start consistently emulating the halcyon days of no-nonsense Frans Erasmus, George Rautenbach, Pote Human and that global superstar from Despatch named Danie Gerber.

But if baby steps can precede big strides – they often do in sport – then the Kings at least delivered a statement of serious resolve and ambition at an atmospheric Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday.

A crowd reported to be in the region of 30 000 saw the home side not just see off the defending Super Rugby champions, but do so with an unexpected amount of daylight to spare.

I don’t imagine that you would have had too many takers for a 23-7 score-line beforehand, and keep in mind that until they finally bothered the scoreboard with a converted try in the 67th minute, the Bulls were in grave danger of having to settle for a particularly ignominious nought.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super...in-PE-20110129

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Im a bit partial to the Kings having lived in Grahamstown/PE and surrounds for 6 years as a young lad.... Hope they end up combining the Lions & Cheetahs into one team and develop the Kings into the 5th franchise... it makes better use of the regions previously marginalised rugby talent..

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It definitely seems that the Cheetahs don't have the finances to mount a serious challenge in Super Rugby. It seems like dozens of their talented youngsters have been absorbed by the Sharks. Hard to compete with the money or the coastal lifestyle. A re-merger between the Lions and Cheetahs isn't ideal but it might be the best option if the SARU is dead set on making the Eastern Cape franchise happen.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The Southern Kings will get no-where The played against a under strength Bulls team that was experimenting with positions and strategies
    The Bulls team was as follow:
    All the names in bold is regular starters for the Bulls

Jaco van der Westhuyzen, Akona Ndungane, Stephan Dippenaar, Stefan Watermeyer, Sampie Mastriet, Francois Brummer, Ruan Snyman, Gerrit-Jan van Velze, CJ Stander, Derick Kuün (c), Juandré Kruger, Fudge Mabeta, Werner Kruger, Henry Bantjes, Dean Greyling. Replacements: Hans van Dyk, Frik Kirsten, Cornell Hess, Tendayi Chikukwa, Okkie Kruger, Dustin Jinka, Louis Fouché, Bradley Moolman, Courtnall Skosan

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    What is the economy like around Port Elizabeth Pieter? Surely with a Super rugby team and the money input that involves they could buy other players.

The Kings weren't any better than the Bulls. They had what Rory Duncan and Barend Pieterse making a very solid second row plus Monty Dumond and I forget who the fullback was but he has Super rugby experience I think.

vCash
    Port Elizabeth is South Africa's Car manufacturing hub as well as a major port. The metro Area is about the same size as Perth. The Southern Cape region however encompasses nearly 9 million people.
    Its Also been upgraded recently as part of the Soccer World cup work and the Waterfront is fantastic. and they have two great stadiums that could benefit from a few rugby games...

it is a major Rugby breeding ground with Grey College in PE and Graeme College, Kingswood and St Andrews in Grahamstown nearby all BIG rugby playing schools.. a local super team would strengthen opportunites for those boys who leave school and would normally quit the game to take up work opportunities closer to home rather than try hit the big time in Cape town or north to Joburg.

vCash
    Last year I seem to remember fanatical Bulls supporters saying their 2nd string team would still dominate the super comp........

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Does ring a bell. Super rugby will be really interesting after this coming world cup. I think of all the South African teams the Bulls are the most likely to suffer, particularly if Botha and Matfield end up leaving.

vCash
    dont say that too loud....... jks Piet I know that after the Force the Bulls are your next favoured, thats allowed..

vCash
    Pierre Spies and Morne Steyn are staying.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Is that enough? Matfield was playing for Toulon in 2008 and the Bulls dropped to 10th. Although admittedly they were pretty unlucky elsewhere with injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Is that enough?
    Dunno, I merely provide information

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It probably is. I'd just like to see a bit of a shake up of Super rugby. The competition will stagnate a bit if its always the Crusaders and Bulls playing out the finals.