Thread: Graham starts remaking the Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Graham starts remaking the Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    June 22, 2011, 6:43 am

Western Force coach Richard Graham will have a revamped squad at his disposal for next year's Super Rugby competition.

Graham needs as many as nine recruits to fill vacancies in his 30-man squad left by axed players, those heading elsewhere and retirements.

Second row Tom Hockings and rookie flanker Jono Jenkins have been cut for the 2012 season, while the future of a third player is also believed to be in doubt.

New Zealand winger David Smith and prop Matt Dunning are heading to France while front- rower Tim Fairbrother is off to the Harlequins club in England.

Backs James O'Connor and Mitch Inman have left for the Melbourne Rebels and Mark Bartholomeusz has retired.

Graham has spent the past three days discussing the squad with his assistant coaches and reviewing the season with players.

He has already recruited Wallaby tighthead prop Salesi Ma'afu from the ACT Brumbies, Australian under-20s front-rower Tetera Faulkner from the NSW Waratahs academy and former Waikato Chiefs second-rower Toby Lynn.

He has also had discussions with All Black speedster Cory Jane and has not ruled out his discarded Hurricanes teammate, centre Ma'a Nonu, as a marquee signing if contract arrangements with Jane, who is also looking at a deal in Japan, cannot be finalised.

"Everyone is interested in them and whilst they are in the market we will spend some time this week assessing and speaking to them if we think it is appropriate," Graham said.

"He (Nonu) is an international footballer. Any All Black, any Wallaby, any international footballer that's off contract we'll look at."

It is likely some decisions will not be made until after World Cup squads are announced.

Graham said the season that brought only five wins and several narrow losses had been frustrating.

"We're capable and as soon as the players understand that themselves winning will become a consistent habit," he said.

Captain Nathan Sharpe dismissed the "choker" tag hung on the side by some critics.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ing-the-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I feel sorry for Tom as he showed a great deal of promise in his Rookie season, I hope he goes on to better things as he seems like a likeable lad.
    Likewise Jono, after a tough start he showed he has at least as much as some reserve Backrowers in the comp, he just happens to be at the club with two of the top three in his position. I'm confident he will be picked up.
    I'm also dissapointed to see Mitch go, he has some great Rugby ahead of him yet.
    Tim will be missed and I remain surprised that he has cut off his potential for Wallaby selection that drew him here originally.
    Good luck to David and Matt in the colder climes, wish you well and thanks for being part of the Force story.
    Best wishes in retirement Bart, the life of the journeyman Rugby pro comes to an end, hope you are sticking around to join our growing WFRPA with President Wobber et al...
    And O'Connor can get stuffed.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It seems to me that Deans either saw something in Fairbrother's practising that we didn't, or that he wanted new Wallabies to be younger, or just didn't like Tim. I doubt he'd have signed to move to Europe unless he got a nod that he wasn't going to get a chance of being a Wallaby (eg, no-ARU top-up offered or no invitations to train with the squad).

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't like that heading.. it suggests Graham inherited a train wreck .. which he did not!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You can't envy Graham's position. He comes into the head coach role with a roster already selected by his predecessor. 2010 saw massive changes to the roster and then even more changes between 2010 and 2011.

Maybe it should read "Graham starts building his own Force".

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I feel sorry for Tom as he showed a great deal of promise in his Rookie season, I hope he goes on to better things as he seems like a likeable lad.
    Likewise Jono, after a tough start he showed he has at least as much as some reserve Backrowers in the comp, he just happens to be at the club with two of the top three in his position. I'm confident he will be picked up.
    I'm also dissapointed to see Mitch go, he has some great Rugby ahead of him yet.
    Tim will be missed and I remain surprised that he has cut off his potential for Wallaby selection that drew him here originally.
    Good luck to David and Matt in the colder climes, wish you well and thanks for being part of the Force story.
    Best wishes in retirement Bart, the life of the journeyman Rugby pro comes to an end, hope you are sticking around to join our growing WFRPA with President Wobber et al...
    I'm feeling the love for JOC

Controversy corner

vCash
    i was reading this thinking to myself "wow, burgs is being incredibly humble here, whats happened to him"... and then i read the last line

vCash
    Burgs is always very reasonable and you never see him bad mouthing players or posters. JOC can get stuffed. We all got a bit tired of the childish shinannigans. A line was drawn in the sand. The Force is a team and no player is bigger than the team. JOC can get stuffed

Controversy corner

vCash
    Very surprised to see Jono being cut. I thought he performed well in the few chances he got this year and was a good backup to our top 4 backrowers.

I think cutting Hockings is the right move though. He was given sufficient opportunities and never really stepped up to the next level

vCash
    Burgs, So poignant... And OConnor can get stuffed.

vCash
    Good ole Burgs........
    Women want to be with him ,
    Men want to be like him and
    O'connor can go get stuffed!

Champion
    vCash
    My info is that Jono didn't get cut he asked to re-join his Sydney club. He was always going to be behind Hodgo, Poey and Brownie.

Was wonderful having him play a few games at Neddies, absolute gentleman and great ambassador for the game.