Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lack of an Australian deal angers Edmonds

vCash

Exclamation Lack of an Australian deal angers Edmonds

Departing ACT Brumbies hooker Huia Edmonds is angry there isn't a place for him in Australian rugby a year after he made his Wallabies debut and believes the ARU will regret cutting Super Rugby squad sizes back to 30 next year.
    Edmonds revealed yesterday he had been in talks with the Brumbies about staying on in 2012, but the offer had been withdrawn on Tuesday on the instructions of incoming coach Jake White.

That withdrawn offer was for a position outside the full-time squad of 30, which would have effectively made him available to the ACT if either of the fully contracted hookers, Wallaby Steve Moore and soon-to-be-announced recruit Siliva Siliva, were injured.

''The Brumbies weren't going to sign me then two weeks ago said they would, then yesterday they pulled it again,'' Edmonds said.

''[It was because] I need shoulder surgery and won't be ready till January and Jake wants a fully fit team ready for the pre-season.''

Now without a club to go to, Edmonds is largely a victim of his own decision to delay accepting a contract with British club Saracens. The English club had wanted him to undergo necessary shoulder surgery mid-way through the Brumbies' season so he would recover in time for the northern winter, but Edmonds decided to hold off signing in the hope he would make the Wallabies squad for the World Cup.

Ultimately both avenues were abruptly closed when he seriously injured his foot playing for the Brumbies.

Now in limbo until he hears ''yes'' or ''no'' from two New Zealand clubs interested in him, Edmonds has joined a growing chorus against the ARU's reduction in squad sizes. This year the Brumbies, Queensland Reds and NSW Waratahs have all suffered injury crises, which in the case of the Waratahs seriously compromised their chances in the semi-finals.

Each club has at times had to resort to calling up club players with little or no experience of professional training and throw them into Super Rugby action.

Next year the situation could be worse as the season is extended by four games but squads cut back from 32 to 30. After protests from Australian coaches, ARU chief executive John O'Neill has said the policy will be reviewed after this season.

But even if squads were expanded, and even if the Brumbies or another Australian team decided to recruit a hooker, it could be too late for Edmonds.

''I still have options overseas, but I'm still waiting to find out more. I'd prefer to stay here in Australia because I'd like to play more Tests, but if there's no Australian team that wants me then I'm going to have to go overseas,'' Edmonds said.

''I'm pretty annoyed [there is no Australian interest], but it comes with the game I guess. For me not to have a contract here in Australia, to put it bluntly, I'm pretty pissed off.''

Edmonds said the ARU's policy of squad reduction was ''not well thought out'', citing the Brumbies' need to use several of its non-professional Academy players this season.

''I don't think it's fair on the teams, they should have at least what they have now. Look at us this year, we've had to look at club players, same as other teams, and those players have to come into the team, train with us for a week or two and hope for the best. They need to be around the professional players in pre-season.''

Edmonds is one of more than a dozen Brumbies leaving the club. While most players have joined new clubs, the futures of departing scrumhalves Patrick Phibbs and Josh Valentine remain unknown.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Edmonds is a great player. Looks like Jake White is going for the youth policy all the way and will sign Australian U20 hooker Siliva Siliva...

vCash
    Bizarre decision huia, brumbies were going nowhere last season, saracens offered you a deal, all you had to do was have the surgery, and miss part of a pointless season...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Bizarre decision huia, brumbies were going nowhere last season, saracens offered you a deal, all you had to do was have the surgery, and miss part of a pointless season...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Arn't all Brumbies players faced with that very same propect each year if injured

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I thought he had signed with Saracens already... I guess the RWC held up... he's putting a little pressure on the ARU for large squads.

Rookie
    vCash
    Huia is an excellent hooker who added a great deal to the brumbies when he was on the field , what is more important he 's a good bloke and team orientated. A real loss to the Brumbies and Australian rugby if he can't find an Australian S15 side for 2012 all the best 'Panda''

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Only possible reason I can think of for the 30 man squad is that it limits a team's ability to warehouse talent. But when a serviceable hooker like Edmonds and a guy like Rocky Elsom can't find themselves a spot, you have to question what the ARU are up to.

It is a dangerous path to go down when you consider players like Rob Horne, Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota Nau (basically half the Waratahs team), or Elsom are international standard players that might drop in value due to their propensity to get sustained injuries. Can you afford players like these in a 30 man squad?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Can the Force afford Shep in a 30 man squad?

vCash
    how many games did he play this year 6? still managed to be one of the top try scorers and he proved he still has the place kicking game too.. id afford him.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Since we are short on classy outside backs, yes we can afford Shepherd. If we were talking two or three, it might be a different story. I guess, since he's contracted for 2012, we can decide that later.

Thankfully we have a forward pack full of players who aren't fragile. Pocock was 'unlucky' to have sustained the two injuries that have kept him out a bit in the last two seasons and he's the only who has spent significantly sideline time in both 2010 and 2011.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the 30 man squad is a joke,especially when the season is extended from next year

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great, we develop an Aus U20 player, only to see him go East...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Great, we develop an Aus U20 player, only to see him go East...
    Know what you mean but Tahs and Brumbies supporters might have thought the same about Charles and Whittaker at the time. Everyone wants game time and to my mind Whits and Cheese are both definite keepers. I'd rather the young bloke going there than one of those two going back.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Siliva is looking to get in the 30... Force have 2 good young hookers now... he should move on sign with the pony club... And i didn't mind Charles going to the Force because they really needed a hooker and he need to go to the next level, he's done well which is great. It was a sporting gesture by the Brumbies (CEO Andrew Fagan) to release him to go west.

I think the ARU limiting the squad numbers to 30 is only disadvantaging the OZ provinces...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    the 30 man squad is a joke,especially when the season is extended from next year
    Its the same number of rounds in 2012 as it was in 2011...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast