Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The "Bigger Picture" for WA Rugby

Champion
    vCash
    1) Watching palmyra's turn around after the past few seasons being the whipping boys of the competition only winning 5 games in the last two seasons. losing our first game of the 2006 season to wanneroo we looked like it was going to be the same. but with the next few weeks saw a new palmyra, with more wins came more crowds. 10 on the trot if i am correct including wins against wests(a heart stopping game) and nedlands (twice!!!!) made the rugby journalist eat his words. after most of the season saying pally are second rate he had to eat his words! then watching pally make the finals losing the first one against neddies 21-29 i think thenlosing one game off the grand final against wests by a whole point. last play of the game wests have a lineout hit #2 jumper drive it towards the tryline wests player dives over wests supporters jumping up and the down the decision of pallys season rest on the 16 year old school boy in touch reff he awarded the try. pally players shattered. our fairtail season came to a crashing end. as all the players left the field there left won. on the 22m line. james "chucky" stannard hadnt moved after the try was scored. he was there squating there crying. emotion which hadnt be seen at our club in the 1st's for years by there he was our captain. this sent shivers up my spine seeing how much this club oremiership ment to this player and the whole team

2) Palmyra v associates u15's season 2006. as i watched on the sideline. (iussual go to the 15's game to get a run in the last 10 minutes) the game was heated and i knew i waasnt going to play. there was to much tension on this game as fights broke out i every ruck. the ref had by no choice to call the game. as the players were shacking hands leaving it on the field one associates player went to shack one of the pally players hand by instead punched him in the face. IT WAS ON they ran from everywhere team on team all in brawl. pally lost the game lost there season but hell they won the fight! with both teams being thrown from the omp associates appealled it but there defence was he started it and we have john mitchells son in our team. so soaks one of teams favourite to win the premiership were kicked out of the comp

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    1) Watching palmyra's turn around after the past few seasons being the whipping boys of the competition only winning 5 games in the last two seasons. losing our first game of the 2006 season to wanneroo we looked like it was going to be the same. but with the next few weeks saw a new palmyra, with more wins came more crowds. 10 on the trot if i am correct including wins against wests(a heart stopping game) and nedlands (twice!!!!) made the rugby journalist eat his words. after most of the season saying pally are second rate he had to eat his words! then watching pally make the finals losing the first one against neddies 21-29 i think thenlosing one game off the grand final against wests by a whole point. last play of the game wests have a lineout hit #2 jumper drive it towards the tryline wests player dives over wests supporters jumping up and the down the decision of pallys season rest on the 16 year old school boy in touch reff he awarded the try. pally players shattered. our fairtail season came to a crashing end. as all the players left the field there left won. on the 22m line. james "chucky" stannard hadnt moved after the try was scored. he was there squating there crying. emotion which hadnt be seen at our club in the 1st's for years by there he was our captain. this sent shivers up my spine seeing how much this club oremiership ment to this player and the whole team
    Hey pruc, how much of Palmyra's "turn around" can be put down to the approximately sixteen imported players?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Hey pruc, how much of Palmyra's "turn around" can be put down to the approximately sixteen imported players?
    16???? try 5 and 1 of the players played 2nd grade. and what? just because pally recruited well! but yes. only 4 players in the 1st's came through the juniors. and 7 from colts up. wait for 5 years then ull see a pally side with home grown talet through the whole team since pallys old president didnt give a shit about the juniors. all our good juniors ussually left rugby or left the club. now with a now president and a new link between the juniors and seniors pally is going to be a pwerhouse for many years to come!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wasn't so much having a dig, just was looking at the transfer sheet that found it's way to my desk.
    6 approved, 4 Domestic Pending & 6 IRB Pending as at 20/03/06, a few must have been knocked back or guided elsewhere?
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with any Club turning their fortunes around and think it's great that WA is gaining talented players to improve our general standard but there does have to be a balance.
    I have watched a Country footy team get ripped apart and take fifteen years to recover because they brought in too many Perth paid players to buy a premiership at the expense of the local kids who busted there guts to get a game. The result was the local kids went to the neighbouring town the following year and the Club lost the majority of the volunteer "Mums & Dads" to do all those thankless tasks that get done week in week out without recognition.
    It's not all about winning and losing at Club level, there is a community aspect to consider too.
    I stand corrected on the numbers however I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from regarding a balance?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Bit harsh on the past president , pruc, didn't the juniors have their own administration at their own demand? Nevertheless you are right about the player situation last season. It never ceases to amaze me how zealots of other clubs (including our own, I hasten to add) invent or imagine mass recriutment every time some other club sticks it up them.
    I happen to know that that paragon of virtue and all things Western Australian, Associates, made dirrect approaches to our club coach and Stannard and other of our few "imports" to lift themselves out of the mediocracy they obviously see themselves sliding into. The hippocracy is breathtaking.

My,my, Burgs, do all clubs have access to this "confidential" information or just those that have affiliations within the Rugbywa camp such as Associates?
    The facts are that only 5 recriuted players made our regular first grade list,and we got off our butts to find them. I suggest Soaks do the same instead of trying to feed off the hard work of others.Your possession of the transfer list speaks volumes about Soaks modus operandi.
    The great thing about rugby and this site though is that we can all say what we believe without (I hope) personal offence being taken. I still luvs ya Burgs.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 04-01-07 at 11:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Bit harsh on the past president , pruc, didn't the juniors have their own administration at their own demand?
    well in the palmyra constitution the juniors arent there own the seniors have ulltimate control. but yes the juniors admin is good but where do we go with our future when there isnt one at the seniors level? alot of top spots going to recruits. but we (juniors) arelinked with the season and wiht the 15's and up invited to train pre season with the seniors it is clear that the new coach wishes to build a rugby club i went to one pre - preseaon session and i died. it is clear that pally is now a more profensional club8)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Bit harsh on the past president , pruc, didn't the juniors have their own administration at their own demand? Nevertheless you are right about the player situation last season. It never ceases to amaze me how zealots of other clubs (including our own, I hasten to add) invent or imagine mass recriutment every time some other club sticks it up them.
    I happen to know that that paragon of virtue and all things Western Australian, Associates, made dirrect approaches to our club coach and Stannard and other of our few "imports" to lift themselves out of the mediocracy they obviously see themselves sliding into. The hippocracy is breathtaking.

My,my, Burgs, do all clubs have access to this "confidential" information or just those that have affiliations within the Rugbywa camp such as Associates?
    The facts are that only 5 recriuted players made our regular first grade list,and we got off our butts to find them. I suggest Soaks do the same instead of trying to feed off the hard work of others.Your possession of the transfer list speaks volumes about Soaks modus operandi.
    The great thing about rugby and this site though is that we can all say what we believe without (I hope) personal offence being taken. I still luvs ya Burgs.
    Sorry fulv but you read way to much into my "support" of Soaks, I have had absolutely no contact with them since leaving school in '91 and, in fact the only time I played for them was in Year 10.
    The list did in fact come from a club but it wasn't from Soaks.
    It is interesting to note though that on "the list" the only Soaks transfers were for Kris Martinick to return from the ACT and Edward Buckley to go to the ACT. There were no others pending or approved. I have no way of knowing of any other local movements as that is not included.
    If the hat fits re player recruitment then so be it for them, I'm not here to defend an organisation that I have never actually even been a member of.
    My "support" comes from a couple of games and their close relationship with Scotch back in the late 80's, early 90's. I could just as easily have followed my mates who played for Cott, Neddies, Uni or Wests, but felt a loyalty to the local Club who had shown us fellowship.
    I have no interest in any political baggage that comes with inter club rivalries, my only interests are in supporting a jersey, white line fever and seeing Western Australian Rugby improve across the board.
    Anyway, I would be interested to know your thoughts on what I mentioned re a balance and if in fact that same "community" aspect applies to City Clubs and Organisations or if it is more of an issue for rural communities.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The "Bigger Picture" for WA Rugby

So as not to hijack the original thread too much for Lonz I have swung the local stuff over to here.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    So as not to hijack the original thread too much for Lonz I have swung the local stuff over to here.
    You're a top notch mod!

vCash
    Yeah, but in the process he caused me to lose my incisive, topnotch reponse to his response to my response,to his response...Bugger, unless someone can tell me how to retrieve it, you will all miss out.

vCash
    Hard to argue with balanced competition Burgs. You only have to look at what professional sports are doing to ensure the health of their competitions through the introduction of salary caps and drafts. What they have come to realise is that a level competition in which everyone can be competitive is of greater importance than a few power clubs dominating while others struggle. Not only will it lift the overall level of competition but it makes for a better spectacle and therefore a better product.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

Champion
    vCash
    Well, Pally are in the New INSIDE RUGBY magazine!

Champion
    vCash
    seroius. my subsciption ended.. and know picked up on my hit for that a chrissy present. what does it say about us
    ?

vCash
    That we've gone from outhouse to penthouse and that its all due to the coach, Jerry and to the 2 games we got out of Hodgson and Hardy. Read into that what you will.

Champion
    vCash
    garreth hardy is a top guy. remember talking to him after the game against rockingham. matt hodgson is a star of a future with trys in his first game with pally and jerry. jerry cutt up brown (force flanker) when we versed cott. ude think jerry was the force player and brown plays for the fun of it. and the coach, bin training since december 'pre preseason' i died in it. hes turning pally into a profensional club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast