Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deans ponders backline reshuffle for Italian job

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Deans ponders backline reshuffle for Italian job

Deans ponders backline reshuffle for Italian job

Greg Growden | November 2, 2008 - 11:12PM

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans is considering playing several new backline players in the Test against Italy in Padova on Saturday, but is unlikely to be overly experimental with the pack.

He is eager to use all of the 34-man squad during the five-week spring tour, and the best chance to field some newcomers is against Italy - the least notable of their Test rivals.

Deans, however, is concerned about the quality of the Italian pack and knows the dangers of playing too many novices in the Wallabies scrum.

Asked how he would approach the Italy Test, he said: "They are a side we will definitely respect. They have one of the best packs in the Six Nations, and we have to make a plan."

Deans will have several forwards return from injury, with back-rowers Hugh McMeniman and Wycliff Palu back in contention.

Changes are most likely to be made out wide. In line for spots are Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper, Waratahs winger Lachie Turner, NSW utility back Timana Tahu, Reds winger Digby Ioane and Western Force utility back James O'Connor. Berrick Barnes is also in contention for the five-eighth position.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/h...560652809.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Asked how he would approach the Italy Test, he said: "They are a side we will definitely respect. They have one of the best packs in the Six Nations, and we have to make a plan."
    The Plan:

1. Don't use Baxter or Robinson
    2. Bench Dunning
    3. Gain and show respect for implimenting above actions

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    what i expect

9-Burgess
    10-Barnes (Giteau is taking a break- I'm not letting him miss the Pom's game by making his shoulder worse against the Italians!)
    11-Mitchell
    12-Mortlock
    13-Cross
    14-Ioane/Turner
    15-Hynes/AAC

20-Sheenan
    21-JOC/Cooper/Tahu
    22-Hynes/AAC

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Turner is more likely to play fullback then hynes, turner has played FB in S14 where as i dont think Hynes has ever actually started there.

Hynes doesnt have the kicking game for fullback, Turner has a pretty decent boot on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Turner is more likely to play fullback then hynes, turner has played FB in S14 where as i dont think Hynes has ever actually started there.

Hynes doesnt have the kicking game for fullback, Turner has a pretty decent boot on him.
    i didn't see too much of them during super14, but judging by hynes' kicking this wallabies season i wouldn't say he is too bad. although, i am comparing him to ashley-cooper.

turner screwed up his debut like hell. it was shocking. i don't want to have no faith in 2 of the back 3. aac scares me too much and turner on the wing with him could cause some major stress level rises... but maybe at fullback he would be better.

but then, i don't know either player particularly well, so i guess it's an uninformed guestimate.

what about this thing where james o'connor will be at fullback?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Many players have had shocking debuts and gone on to be amongst the greats of the code. Would hate to remind you of Drews first match for the Force...
    Turner is a good player. He's been there once, now a chance against a lesser side like the Italians may be just the shot to boost him through the ranks, until Shep is available of course!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't particularly support the idea of playing O'Connor, but Deans has intimated that everyone will get a run. I didn't think we had any club matches, so if you are going to run an untried 18 year old against anyone on this tour, surely it would be Italy? I suppose the barbarians match might also be a possibility, but that could be one of the tougher gigs on this tour for a fullback.

vCash
    With James O’Connor I think the Australia can't claim him until he has one Wallabies cap. I would expect to see him for a few minutes like Pocock in Honkers. Then the Wallabies can tick that box off. The same fgoes or Quade Cooper likely run. Both boys can be All Blacks and O'Connor could also be a Bok. The NZers have done the same with prop Franks as was borne in Melbourne he could be a Wallaby.

These guys are not likely to be on the bench for the tougher England or France tests. Perhaps possibly Wales.

vCash
    The last thing I want to see is James O'Connor get hurt. Remeber when Giteau first played his international at Twickenham vs England, he was thrown around like a straw man. ouch

vCash
    JO'C is a tough kid. I think he'll be ok. But I'd say you're right mud...he'll get a run on at fullback possibly even against Italy just so he's capped. It'd be interesting to see how he goes as well. For the most part, i think fullback enables him to stay away from huge amounts of damage, at least more so than the centres

Robyn...i hate to say it but even Gits' debut was a nightmare

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    For the most part, i think fullback enables him to stay away from huge amounts of damage
    Unless you're Cameron Shepherd!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    turner screwed up his debut like hell. it was shocking
    can't hold a debut game against someone forever, he will get another crack eventually

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    At the very least Turner now knows what not to do.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    i remember both of those events (i think)

Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    JO'C is a tough kid. I think he'll be ok. But I'd say you're right mud...he'll get a run on at fullback possibly even against Italy just so he's capped. It'd be interesting to see how he goes as well. For the most part, i think fullback enables him to stay away from huge amounts of damage, at least more so than the centres
    that's what i meant. except Jehna explains herself better than me if there is a test when james gets his cap, shouldn't it be against the italians? it's the erm, least competitive of the tour... in a nice way. i'm more afraid of the poms, put it that way. oh, and all the other guys' debut's too i guess (no force bias here )

and i don't plan on holding his debut against him. i guess he has waited around thinking about his debut and he does know what he DOESN'T do when playing international rugby. but not a run on yet... we don't need another tah in the starting XV.

vCash
    As much as I don't like the Tahs, if our best Wallabies team ends up being a team of Tah players I'll still support them. In the end, i don't care where the boys come from, so long as we're fielding our best team...and for that...all of the touring squad need and opportunity to get out there and impress

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast