Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More Brumbies sour grapes.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

More Brumbies sour grapes.

Young slams Wallabies bold front-row plans

The Wallabies have been warned their scrum is in danger of again becoming a worrying Achilles heel due to plans to convert aggressive Brumbies prop Ben Alexander into a tight-head.

Former long-serving Test prop and current Brumbies scrum coach Bill Young took aim at the Wallabies selectors over Alexander’s positional switch plus the “bizarre” inclusion of Western Force bolter Pek Cowan in their 29-man squad.

Young was baffled by the selection of three loose-heads - Alexander, Cowan and Test incumbent Benn Robinson - among the squad’s four props, and stressed plans to move Alexander from one side of the front-row to the other were doomed to failure.

A standout around the ground in the Super 14, Alexander is being groomed to challenge veteran Al Baxter at tight-head, a bold move confirmed by forwards coach and selector Jim Williams on Friday.

Converting him to tight-head would allow coach Robbie Deans the luxury of having both Robinson and Alexander, his two most penetrative and hard-working props, on the field at the same time.

But an annoyed Young, who phoned Williams for a please explain, warned the move would reap the same embarrassing results of 2003-2005 when the Australian scrum crumbled against powerful rival packs.

Young played the last of his 46 Tests in that period and attributed the problem, highlighted by their 2005 Twickenham disintegration, to a preference for athletic front-rowers over strong scrummagers.

“They’ve tried that many, a many a time, and mate, it doesn’t work,” he told AAP.

“They made that mistake for years and they’ll make it again. They continue to do it for some reason.

“You can’t turn a bloke into a tight-head in an international season.

“You don’t learn your trade there. It’s impossible. It won’t work and it’s been tried before.

“I don’t understand why selectors do it.”

Young said Alexander, himself excited by the chance to emerge from Robinson’s shadow, would need two seasons of club rugby and another two of Super 14 at tight-head before being ready to wear the Wallabies No.3 jersey.

But he felt the switch could endanger his natural footballing skills and would merely make him “mediocre” at both positions.

Young pilloried the surprise selection of Cowan ahead of Brumbies tight-heads Guy Shepherdson and Salesi Ma’afu and Waratah Sekope Kepu, with Australia’s most-versatile front-rower Matt Dunning currently making his return from injury.

“They’ve picked just one tight-head, and I don’t know where they’ve picked Pek Cowan from,” said Australia’s third most-capped prop.

“It’s just a bizarre selection. I watch the Force scrummage and some of their scrummaging in the Super 14 was very shaky.

“Guy Shepherdson and Salesi Ma’afu are much more advanced than he is as a front-rower and as a scrummager and as an all-round athlete.”

Williams admitted it was a close call for the squad’s fourth prop but defended Cowan’s selection, who could also provide back-up at tight-head.

He believed Alexander, who played tight-head for the Australian U21s and club side Norths, would adapt quickly to his new role to possibly pressure Baxter.

“He worked hard at it last season and got an opportunity in the French Test (in November) and we were very happy with the attitude he had towards it and the effort he put in,” Williams said.

“Benn Robinson and Ben Alexander’s play around the park is second to none and we have a goal to get them on the field at the same time and we’ve taken steps towards it now.”

BRISBANE
    AAP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=143472

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    tick,tick,tick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Words of wisdom on the way.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    bill, bill, bill, bill...

vCash
    in the words of robbie deans..on foxsports rugbyclub..."pek has been tracking well"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    tick,tick,tick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Words of wisdom on the way.
    someones missus has botted them off the computer obviously

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe he went backpacking????

vCash
    I didn't realise Bill had spent that much time with the Waratahs actually.

The only predictable part of this article was the bagging of Pekko's selection, translated out of Brumby-speak it reads like so...
    WHAT? you mean there's a good player at the Force that we haven't bought? something's wrong with the World.

Sorry Bill, you're the cause of many of our scrumming problems at the moment, because you couldn't handle the pressure and dove at the ground more often than not, what makes you think your opinion is better than that of one of the best coaches in the World.....who has seen some pretty bloody good props (both sides of the scrum) at a club and international level.

Get back in ya box!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah its easy for Bill to say Pek is a bad decision but his other options- Ma'afu, Shepherdson, Kepu?

Kepu hasn't played for 6 months and is less experienced than Cowan. Shepherdson tried and failed and hasn't done anything to suggest he is ready to take another crack and Ma'afu hasn't exactly been outstanding.

I wonder what Bill's point is exactly. I mean the Alexander decision is irrespective of Cowan being included. Which decision is he objecting to? Both? Who is the international coach who has won the Super 14 like a bajillion times Bill?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    tick tick tick...

Well the selectors have chosen their 4 props... and they'll have to make it work And Baxter is the only tight-head (I understand he has many Fans here) ... It will be a steep learning curve for Alexander and Cowan will have to prove his worthy of the jersey on a international field...

Personally I like that they're are trying new ways as we all know the Wallabies scrum has been questionable at times...

However I can understand Bill Young being a little edgy about it... Bills put a lot of work into the Brumbies scrum this year and they've made vast improvements... Shepherdson has a good season but a young Cowan getting a go could be really worth while move...

A few of you have tired to wind me up (You cheeky sods...)..... about the Brumbies 6 Wallabies but I don't see it the same way. The Force players will be on the bench only a few will be starters not all 10... The others may make nice Wallabies tackle bags...

The Brumbies have a very long list of great Wallabies and this year not so many... well we'll just fill the important positions, Captain 13, Flyhalf, Tight-head, Hooker, Open-side flanker, Lock, Fullback/wing ... and next year there will be more Brumbies Wallabies... and less Force players so collect mementos...

But its great for the Force players to get bench experience at a Wallabies matches… the Cheap seats...

Now importantly the Brumbies France tour and preseason will again give the boys more time to work together building a stronger squad fro what will be a huge season with the return of Giteau… So it’s All good from where I’m standing….

Now if you can't have a laugh at what I just wrote... try smiling into a mirror for 10 minutes then come back and smote me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    tick tick tick...

Well the selectors have chosen their 4 props...
    a bit slow but predictable as always.

SCC have some power outages last night, Mud? Or did you find that puncture repair kit?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The Brumbies have a very long list of great Wallabies and this year not so many... well we'll just fill the important positions, Captain 13, Flyhalf, Tight-head, Hooker, Open-side flanker, Lock, Fullback/wing ... and next year there will be more Brumbies Wallabies... and less Force players so collect mementos...
    I'll put $50 on the Force still having more Wallabies than the Brumbies in 2010. I count a loosehead, a tighthead, at least one lock, two or three backrowers from the pack. Add to that a scrum-half, an inside centre, an outside centre, a winger and a fullback. Let me see now thats still 10. May as well change the Wallabies from green and gold to blue and gold.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Like shane warne..oops i mean Joe the camera man said about the player - CANT THROW, CANT BOWL.

To my friends in Canberra land.. TOO OLD, TOO SLOW, TOO BAD, SO SAD, YOU DIDN'T GET PICKED,

PLAY WELL = GET PICKED.

Player
    vCash
    At the end of the day Jim and Dingo are only answerable to the ARU and not Bill Young so I dont even know why Jim would even bother taking the call.

They will be held accountable for the performance of their team,and will make the necessary changes if they need to.Dont forget the selections will be reviewed after the first 4 test.

I think its bad taste to bag out a player for being selected in public(he never selected himself),his focus should be on the selectors.

So overall I think its a huge over reaction by Young who should keep his opinions to himself,cos no one else really cares except for shepardson ,maafu,donut and kepu.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I can understand the reservations, and I even share a few of them should injuries occur. But at the end of the day, it is Robbie's team and he'll be held accountable for it.

Anyone else wondering whether the 30th spot might be being held open pending a look at both Dunning and Fairbrother in club rugby?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast