Thread: Force an easy move for Mafi

Champion
    vCash

Force an easy move for Mafi

Nick Taylor
    December 2, 2014, 7:39 am

There is something of an irony in Western Force coach Michael Foley snaring Tongan international Steve Mafi's signature - Foley was forwards coach at the Waratahs when Mafi was cut from their squad.
    Mafi was dropped in 2009 because he wasn't big enough for the second row.
    Now, after a stint with leading English premiership club Leicester Tigers, he is back in Australia 12kg heavier, packing 120kg on to his 198cm frame.
    He had battled to add bulk to his athletic ability in Sydney but after a tailored strength and conditioning program at Leicester, a club that prides itself on forward play, the Waratahs were keen to get him back. But he chose to reforge links with Foley.
    Mafi, one of the Force's three international marquee players, was a fan favourite at Leicester where he was in their 2010 and 2013 title-winning sides.
    After the birth of his son Fine, Mafi wanted to return home and was released from his Tigers contract a year early when the Force went knocking.
    "When I was back at the Waratahs, Foles was there when I got the release. To have him get in contact again was exciting," Mafi said yesterday as the Force began pre-season training.
    "I was trying to get back to Australia and when the opportunity came up to move to the Force I took it with both hands.
    "I was struggling to put on weight at the Waratahs. I was about 108kg and they wanted me at 115kg.
    "Being at Leicester was a bonus. I joined not being too keen to pick-and-go and things like that because of my weight issue but I'm playing at about 120kg and that has built my confidence.
    "Being there with so many experienced boys gave me the chance to adapt."
    Though he prefers blindside flanker, Mafi is happy to get into the second row where it could become a family affair, packing down with cousin Sam Wykes.
    "I spoke with Wyksey about the Force and when I first came over to check it out he took me around and gave me a few tips. Having him here is a bonus," he said.
    Foley said Mafi was a key addition to the forward pack that had an outstanding 2014 season.
    "Steve's growth, both physically and technically, has been tremendous," Foley said.
    "He's always been a powerful ball carrier, but has now developed a good understanding of the tight elements of the game."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Can't wait to see this big unit in Ocean Blue

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post

Though he prefers blindside flanker, Mafi is happy to get into the second row where it could become a family affair, packing down with cousin Sam Wykes.
    "
    Nor can I in Wests maroon and gold

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 02-12-14 at 11:45. Reason: quotes
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd love to see someone that size running in the back row, especially if he has learned how to properly support a tight five. I also like the idea of him and McCalman sharing the loose duties and running onto the ball, rather than just one player predictably trucking it up. That might be more useful than another shortish lock, provided we can cover that spot another way. Lots of competition for backrow spots though...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We are in that tough situation of who do you leave out?

At least once I'd like to see Mafi and Coleman in the second row with Cottrell, Hodgson and McCalman in the backrow. That would be two 120kg locks who are pretty mobile. That could really improve our scrum. Or at least somewhat counter the loss of Longbottom. Based on his form before his injury, it is hard to leave Cottrell out.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    At least once I'd like to see Mafi and Coleman in the second row with Cottrell, Hodgson and McCalman in the backrow.
    How good is this looking? Wykes can play subbies

Controversy corner

vCash
    Don't forget that before his injury Chris Alcock was also a starter. Oh the first world problems we will have next year!