Thread: Brumbies on rampage

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies on rampage

Perhaps you could start your rampage next week???

Brumbies on rampage

PA Sport

Australia international Stirling Mortlock has issued a warning to the other Super 14 teams that his Brumbies side has just started to hit its strides with a place in next month's semi-finals beckoning.

After an indifferent start to the season, the Brumbies have strung together four wins in five games including upstaging the previously unbeaten Sharks in Durban, beating the Lions in Johannesburg and thumping the New South Wales Waratahs in the interstate derby last start.

The two-time Super rugby champions find themselves locked on points with the Bulls and the Chiefs in a battle for fourth spot with just three rounds remaining and enjoyed a week's rest with a bye this week.

"The bye this weekend is very timely for us in the fact that it's been a tough month and came back from Africa but we recovered then played a hard game against the Waratahs so from that perspective it's perfect timing," Mortlock said.

"The time away together in Africa has been really good for the spirit of the team."

"And on the back of playing really well and training well, the guys certainly deserve the four- or five-day lay-off they guys have had, but we've been putting in the hard yards."

Mortlock, who has had to endure a four-week stint on the sidelines after breaking bones in his hand in the loss to the Cheetahs in March, said the Brumbies attack is finally firing after being the lowest points scorers halfway through the campaign.

"We now seem to have found the right mix in attack," said the 29-year-old Wallabies centre.

"At the start of the season I knew the team had the capability to give this title a shake, but for one reason or another we didn't get the mix right in attack."

"We were trying to utilise the back row in particular, maybe too much, in ball-playing."

"And what we're doing now is turning that around and utilising someone like Jone Tawake's strength for a running, powerful game. And giving players like Stephen Hoiles a licence to do as he pleases, and likewise Georgie Smith."

Mortlock also reserved special praise for Australia fly-half Stephen Larkham, who has returned from a mid-season shoulder injury to find some of the best form of his career.

"Of course have Steve 'Bernie' Larkham back has also coincided with the team finding form," admitted Mortlock.

"He's such an outstanding player, so when you have Bernie in the backs, it just increases the ability of the other guys to step up when they need to in a game."

"An attribute the Brumbies have always had is having senior players - both on the field in the heat of battle, and off the pitch - leading the way for the younger guys to learn about what's required when playing footy at this level."

"And over the last month, Bernie has been doing an exemplary job of showing them how it's done."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Can't see the Force winning this one, even though I would prefer it. Brumbies will be too tough to handle. I wonder if Mortlock will be used to run at Giteau as Spiro mentioned in his article on how the Deans coached Crusaders ran Mauger at him.

EDIT: I just read somewhere the Mortlock is not playing due to his hand injury might blow up.

Last edited by chook; 17-04-07 at 17:56.
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    We must win this game or at least get a bonus point. Goodnight nurse otherwise i think.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    All of you who like to have a go at GTT tipping, the Brumbies v Force book is now open here

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    i think whoever wins this will go to the finals its a very important match. the brumbies probly know alot abouts gits and will mark him heavily so i think the forces low profile players will shine in the game.

vCash
    You're both right. The backline strategy is a simple calculation with both teams.Brumbies will definately run at Giteau and Force will look to nullify Larkham, easy, that's not where this game willbe won, it's too simple and obvious and the backs can only work with what the forwards give them. The real battle for control of this game will be between two people with the rest of the field followingthe momentum. George Smith is the king of agression in defence and will steal ball regularly at the tackle/ruck confrontation, David Pocock has a very similar style of play. One man will win this battle and that wil decide the rest of the match. We have the confrontation of the old stager against the new pup and THIS will be the deciding factor in the match. Until a few weeks ago I would've said that Smith was gunna get a bath, but now Smith has been playing more like his old self and Pocock is rumored to be back for this match. Normally you'd worry about a young guy like Bam-Bam seeing something like this and stuffing it up from the pressure but if I ever saw an old head on young shoulders....

I just hope the rumours about a return for Bam-Bam are true.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    they are true he's in the starting xv

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    will be interesting to see how bam-bam compares to smith. should be a great battle

vCash
    I want a Bam-Bam cam on Fox active!
    He really needs to step up if the guys are goingto give Gits a win for 50 and Canno a parting gift.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    I want a Bam-Bam cam on Fox active!
    would b pretty boring. since he is always in thr rucks turning over the ball. you wouldnt see much

vCash
    I agree Pruc, maybe we could have "Bam-Bam : As he sees it" and get him to wear some sort of contact lense which allows us to see what he sees? heehee, im full of it!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    If Pocock turns out as good as George Smith, now that would be good.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing