Thread: Connolly's predictions.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Connolly's predictions.

Hickey holds high hopes for Waratahs

John Connolly | February 8, 2009

The expectations of the Australian Super 14 teams are very high for this season. Justifiably so. I believe there's a chance the four local teams could finish in the top eight as a number of young players begin to mature.

That's a far cry from two years ago, when NSW and Queensland were languishing at the bottom of the table. The future looks good for Australian rugby.

However, there are also some coaching challenges ahead. There are two new coaches, in Chris Hickey at NSW and Andy Friend at the Brumbies. Both are good choices and have strong squads at their disposal.

John Mitchell has some bridges to mend in the west, while Phil Mooney is probably the man under the most pressure. The Reds coach is in his second year in charge and there are high hopes of a Queensland resurgence.

BRUMBIES

The ACT will be Australia's top-ranked team. They have been very unlucky during the past few years and have lost a number of games on the bell. They are a side that ticks most of the boxes. They have a very experienced forward pack. The addition of former Queensland hooker Stephen Moore is a huge plus, as the position has been an issue for them in recent seasons. They have some quality props in Ben Alexander, Salesi Ma'afu and Guy Shepherdson and an incredibly strong back row in Stephen Hoiles, Ben Hand, Mitchell Chapman and George Smith. Their lineout and scrum will be good.

In the backs, they'll be led by Stirling Mortlock, who is likely to be partnered in the centres by Adam Ashley-Cooper, with Mark Gerrard at fullback and Clyde Rathbone on the wing. In Mortlock they have an outstanding kicker, but the key to their success could hinge on how Josh Holmes and Christian Lealiifano gel at No. 9 and No. 10. I can't see them missing the finals.

NSW WARATAHS

There's a big question mark on how they'll cope without Wallabies forwards Rocky Elsom, Dan Vickerman, Matt Dunning, David Lyons and Sekope Kepu. Their forward pack is likely to be one of the smallest in the Super 14. It's likely Dean Mumm and Will Caldwell will have to play in the second row, although Chris Thomson will push them very hard. You have to wonder why the ARU knocked back NSW's quest to bring in South African lock Anton van Zyl as an imported player, when the Force were allowed to recruit New Zealander Ben Castle. They have a good front row in props Benn Robinson and Al Baxter and hookers Tatafu Polota-Nau and Adam Freier . A huge player on the field and off it for the Tahs is Wallabies veteran Phil Waugh. The backs look good. Luke Burgess is well suited to the ELVs, and I expect young five-eighth Kurtley Beale to have a good year. Timana Tahu, Rob Horne, Lote Tuqiri and Sam Norton-Knight have quality stamped all over them. They are definitely semi-final contenders but they might just miss out.

WESTERN FORCE

It's hard to pick how they'll go. Time will tell what impact the ongoing speculation about coach John Mitchell will have on the team, although players have a wonderful ability to put these things behind them. Their back line is the best in the business. This is an all-international back line. Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine, Ryan Cross, James O'Connor, Scott Staniforth, Drew Mitchell and Cameron Shepherd.

That's class no other team in the competition has. And in Giteau they have Australia's best goalkicker and playmaker. They have a workmanlike pack. There's Tai McIsaac, Richard Brown and the up-and-coming David Pocock. But the key to their success could well be Nathan Sharpe, given his ability to run the lineout and the team. Like Waugh, he is the heart of the side. They are a chance of the semis but a mid-table finish is more likely.

QUEENSLAND REDS

Supporters have been living on a diet of hope for many years - and have been dying of starvation! Expectations are high for Phil Mooney in his second year. He will miss James Horwill early and the experience of Stephen Moore. New Zealand import Daniel Braid is a great gain for them. Forwards Sean Hardman, Greg Holmes, Leroy Houston and Van Humphries have plenty of experience. Their back line will test some teams, with Berrick Barnes, Quade Cooper and Digby Ioane and Peter Hynes capable of causing defences some problems. A mid-table finish (hopefully).
    I believe the Super 14 presents many challenges for the Australian sides, and we can expect good results.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connolly View Post
    WESTERN FORCE

It's hard to pick how they'll go. Time will tell what impact the ongoing speculation about coach John Mitchell will have on the team, although players have a wonderful ability to put these things behind them. Their back line is the best in the business. This is an all-international back line. Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine, Ryan Cross, James O'Connor, Scott Staniforth, Drew Mitchell and Cameron Shepherd.

That's class no other team in the competition has. And in Giteau they have Australia's best goalkicker and playmaker. They have a workmanlike pack. There's Tai McIsaac, Richard Brown and the up-and-coming David Pocock. But the key to their success could well be Nathan Sharpe, given his ability to run the lineout and the team. Like Waugh, he is the heart of the side. They are a chance of the semis but a mid-table finish is more likely.
    not bad. not bad at all. he reckons we have semis chances (WHICH WE DO) and i think that was a very positive write up by knuckles, our star back line and up-and-comings in the forward pack

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    so listed in order of his rating then.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    well he seems to rate our table finishings higher than the Tahs. !!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I'm actually a little confused. He spend the 2 paragraphs praising the force (OMG) and then he says mid table? I don't get it. He said our backs are the best in the business and we have workman like forwards (or is that an insult I don't understand?)

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I'm actually a little confused. He spend the 2 paragraphs praising the force (OMG) and then he says mid table? I don't get it. He said our backs are the best in the business and we have workman like forwards (or is that an insult I don't understand?)

I guess the thing is that as soon as you 'just miss' the finals in a comp like S14, you're mid-table. All the talent in the world won't stop us ending up there if we lose one or two games we aren't expected to.

vCash
    Must win your home games to make the finals...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I guess the thing is that as soon as you 'just miss' the finals in a comp like S14, you're mid-table. All the talent in the world won't stop us ending up there if we lose one or two games we aren't expected to.
    Hmm... Bring on top 6...

Connolly must have been in a better mood when he wrote this.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Must win your home games to make the finals...
    and the away games also

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    He said our backs are the best in the business and we have workman like forwards (or is that an insult I don't understand?)
    I'm taking it as an insult! He says our pack is workmanlike (meaning hardworking but without the spark of brilliance) I say that's vastly underrating them.....sure our front row has to play out of their skin week in and out simply because they're smaller than others, but anybody who watched Tai's game last year (the waterpolo pass one) would have to say the spark's there it just needs to come out more often! Sharpey......workmanlike.......he's been the stand out lock in Oz for freakin' years, even when they were trying to blame all the Wallabies' woes on him, they had to bring him back to fix it. DAVID bloody POCOCK....WORKMANLIKE! jeez Connolly, as a judge of rugby talent you'd make a great bricklayer!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    jeez Connolly, as a judge of rugby talent you'd make a great bricklayer!
    Do you mean one like this???

This is a bricklayer's accident report, which was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation Board. Had this guy died, he'd probably have received a Darwin Award.

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put 'poor planning' as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks. You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form. Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel.

Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight. As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks,in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your inquiry.

Yours sincerely

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The recorded sketch has me in stitches every time I hear it, despite its age...
    http://monologues.co.uk/004/Bricklayers_Story.htm (imagine this being read out in a very posh English accent).

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Connolly is a guy who holds a grudge for someone in elephant years... and he is too old to change...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Connolly is a guy who holds a grudge for someone in elephant years... and he is too old to change...
    bahahah, that is funny coming from you muddy