Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O'Neill wants Super 15 coverage on free-to-air

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Neill wants Super 15 coverage on free-to-air

O'Neill wants Super 15 coverage on free-to-air

Greg Growden | March 3, 2009

A BID to screen Super rugby on free-to-air television will be part of Australia's push to expand the tournament.

SANZAR officials will meet in Dubai on Wednesday, with Australian delegates calling for a Super 15 tournament from 2011, which would involve an expanded season running from March to August, and a six-team finals series. This would dramatically increase the number of Super matches, which ARU chief John O'Neill said would open up the tournament to free-to-air coverage.

"One of the criticisms we've had levelled at us for a long while is the lack of free-to-air," O'Neill said yesterday. "One of the reasons for that is because we have a scarcity of content, we've tended to sell it exclusively to pay-TV to maximise the revenue so that we can pay the players.

"If you go from 91 games to 130-140 games, you can potentially have one or two games on free-to-air every week. When people say, 'Why does AFL and NRL have free-to-air and pay-TV matches', the fact is that they have a lot more content and they can get that trade-off between revenue and public exposure. We know the majority of Super games will remain on pay TV, but if you had an element of free-to-air with that additional content, it's not a bad outcome for rugby."

O'Neill also believes it is imperative the Super 14 starts a month later because of the stifling conditions. On Sunday, Cheetahs and Springboks breakaway Juan Smith collapsed due to heat stress and concussion after playing against Queensland in Brisbane. Smith required a saline drip to restore fluids.

"Late February, early March in Brisbane is a very humid, hot place - and an afternoon game to boot," O'Neill said. "People haven't their minds into football codes at this time of the year. When it starts to get a bit cooler and you're off the beach, then you're into rugby mode."

O'Neill is also pushing for a fifth Australian Super team in Melbourne, the Gold Coast, western Sydney, Newcastle or even Japan.

"The meter is ticking. We need to have a proposition before the broadcasters by June 30 and I hope this SANZAR meeting really narrows down the differences," O'Neill said. "There are differences, which include issues over whether Springboks continue playing in the Currie Cup. The reality for all three unions is that we can only afford one level of professional rugby, which is Super rugby. Currie Cup, NPC and Premier Rugby in Australia is not the professional game."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...842328910.html

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...842328910.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If Super 14 was free-to-air I would sit in front of the TV all weekend. Whoever gets the telecast rights would get good viewing figures from me. The local IGA would also do well off sales of food so I don't have to leave the couch.

Unless channel 7 got the rights. Bleh they'd probably play March the 17th game in October!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash

Bit irrelevant to the topic, but JO'N was on free to air news tonight. He was saying he is committed to keeping the Force in Perth (no move to Melbourne) and that the 'issues' are not stress fractures but more like growing pains. They just have to get things sorted and they'll be on track.

Actually seemed like quite a genuine statement and finally something public and positive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Whoever gets the telecast rights would get good viewing figures from me.
    That line's gold!

Glad it's on the agenda though.

vCash
    dont be fooled, whilst i dont doubt JON is serious in wanting some matches on FTA, the issue is that they will still be paid less for the deal. I suspect this is more aimed at giving a little scare to newscorp and foxtel.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Just on a side topic here, with the world economy in a recession and everyone scrimping and saving every dollar, The ARU on pay cuts including the players and JO'N. What the )(&(*&^&^ are SANZAR doing in Dubai for these discussions?

The Sydney Hilton overbooked? The Auckland Travelodge chockers? The Durbin Holiday Inn closed for renovations?

So much for cost cuttings - how about cutting out the trips by administrators for no apparent reason.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    JON is spot on - some of these games especially the local Oz derby's being on FTA would do the game a lot of good - however they really need it to be a retransmission of the Fox telecast as they are the only commentators able to actually call a game.

The FTA stuff I've seen would really put the average punter off - and that is taking into account the fact that NONE of the Fox Team are really behind the Force.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Well this sounds damn good. I hope Channel TEN gets hold of this news since they will have a dedicated sport channel!! This would be an awesome decision!! Of course my wife would not appreciate me being in front of the TV all weekend!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Veteran
    vCash
    FOXTEL = excuse to go to a pub & no ads!

could you image the amount of game missing due to ads? i would most likely still hit a pub up if it was on fox and TEN at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Just on a side topic here, with the world economy in a recession and everyone scrimping and saving every dollar, The ARU on pay cuts including the players and JO'N. What the )(&(*&^&^ are SANZAR doing in Dubai for these discussions?

The Sydney Hilton overbooked? The Auckland Travelodge chockers? The Durbin Holiday Inn closed for renovations?

So much for cost cuttings - how about cutting out the trips by administrators for no apparent reason.
    Rugby World Cup Sevens - everyone will be there...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Rugby World Cup Sevens - everyone will be there...
    Thanks Beige - that makes sense now.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't get too excited about bludging the weekend away: ..."you can potentially have one or two games on free-to-air every week"...

Let's see, Bull v Reds and Chiefs v Highlanders...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about bludging the weekend away: ..."you can potentially have one or two games on free-to-air every week"...

Let's see, Bull v Reds and Chiefs v Highlanders...
    yes that would be horrendous, having the side from the state with the 2nd largest rugby population in Australia!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Missed the point TOCC, a Bulls home match would be what, 3am for you and of little relevance to a Force dominated website membership.
    Followed by an early afternoon all Kiwi affair, that's not quite the Rugby Utopia that is being dreamed of above.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well i did take that into consideration, but im assuming the match would also be delayed...

I dont think using those sort of examples is really relevant Burgs, i am certain that if they were to pursue the FTA idea it would be Australian teams in the prime-time slot... not cheetahs vs lions at 3am in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast