Thread: Stirling receives silver-plate deal

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stirling receives silver-plate deal

Stirling receives silver-plate deal

By Peter Badel
    January 27, 2008

AUSTRALIA Rugby World Cup captain Stirling Mortlock is in danger of being lost to Australian rugby after receiving a $3.75 million offer to finish his glittering career in Japan.

A Japanese club is attempting to land Mortlock with a three-year, $1.25 million-a-season deal that would make the robust centre one of the highest paid players in world rugby.

Three clubs in Europe are also courting Mortlock as the Australian Rugby Union desperately (don't seem to desperate to me, telling them to actively look at other options...) tries to stem the flow of marquee stars being increasingly lured by offshore opportunities.

The ARU is aware of the push to poach Mortlock -- but chief negotiator Pat Howard concedes the governing body simply cannot compete with the fiscal muscle of foreign clubs. (Well maybe the Finance Committee needs a good kick up the Khyber to catch up with world Rugby sponsorship and source the funds needed to run Pro contracts )

Off contract at the end of this year, Mortlock said three weeks ago that he was keen to remain in Australia to help cultivate the next generation of talent.

But the Japanese deal tabled last week is so lucrative the 30-year-old risks sacrificing more than $1 million over three years should he opt to remain in Australia.

Mortlock's agent, Nick Johnston, declined to comment but confirmed the interest from Japan and European clubs.

A source close to Mortlock said the veteran of 60 Tests faced a gut-wrenching decision in the coming months.

"The offer is extraordinary," the source said. "I don't know if Stirling will take it, but the ARU won't get close to the money these clubs are throwing at him."

The ARU's attempt to temper the exorbitant salaries afforded Matt Giteau and Lote Tuqiri in the past two years is threatening to herald a player exodus. (When those payments were made the ARU should have immediately been beating down doors looking for proactive ways to expand their resource base. Instead, they focused on reining in the two financially proactive and attractive sectors in Australian Rugby, the ARC and the Western Force.)

Wallabies full-back Chris Latham signed a $730,000-a-season deal with Worcester in December after being unhappy with the ARU's offer, while lock Dan Vickerman has said he will head to England at the end of the season.

Wallabies veterans George Gregan and Stephen Larkham quit Australian rugby after the World Cup.

The potential loss of Mortlock would be a crippling blow for the ARU, and Howard could not guarantee the Brumbies stalwart would be a Wallaby beyond this season.

Further complicating the ARU's retention battle is its two-year offer to Mortlock which, if accepted, would not take him through to the 2011 World Cup.

"A guy of Stirling's calibre will always get interest from abroad," Howard said. "We're aware of that and we know we can't compete with what's on offer so Stirling has a few considerations to weigh up.

"The process is ongoing, I spoke to his agent last week and the situation looks pretty positive from the meetings we've had so far."

Asked when the ARU planned to secure Mortlock, Howard said: "I can't put a time frame on things. We'll take as long as we need to."

Mortlock recently said he was not certain to head overseas next year.

"My plan is to, hopefully, be a massive part of the new generation coming through," he said.

"At this stage, it's more about the next two or three years and being heavily involved in that.

"I believe I have a number of years left in the game at the top level and I want to commit to that, if everything goes well."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The ARU just can't compete with the big money offers that come from Europe and Japan. But at the end of the day it comes down to money vs the pride that you get running out in the national jumper

vCash
    well if he goes it will open the door for a younger player to come through the ranks. Maybe a younger player would be better to work around for the next world cup and the one after that also.

vCash
    I guess that's right Jargan, but we're turning into Argentina if we continue down this path

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's it Gigs, we may not be able to compete but surely we can close the gap to make the decision a little easier for them.
    At the end of a career pride doesn't put food on the table so we can't put it on the heads of the individuals involved.
    There was a wealth of new money found as sponsors to the ARC teams which should have been fostered, this is even quoted as a motivator behind the Force's plans of heading North.
    Instead of trying to raise the bar and retain more talent, the ARU is all about picking the eyes out of the elite (and often getting it wrong) and talking about imposing salary caps to prevent teams developing their own packages to retain the rest.
    No wonder Fox treats SANZAR with contempt at the negotiation table, they continue to allow their "product base" to be white anted!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.