Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foley, Mathewson lap up Forced move west

Senior Player
    vCash

Foley, Mathewson lap up Forced move west

Former NSW coach Michael Foley isn't the only one revelling in his switch to a new "supportive" Super Rugby organisation at the Western Force.

Former All Blacks halfback Alby Mathewson has also lapped up his move to Perth, following a year to forget for the Blues in Auckland, and highlighted his value as a marquee signing with a standout display against Queensland on Saturday night.

Recruited by Foley, the speedy Kiwi provided the desperate Force's attacking flair and X-factor in a breakthrough 19-12 triumph over the Reds at Suncorp Stadium.

It was their first win ever in Brisbane, first victory this season and Foley's first success after 11 straight defeats dating back to last year.

But the coach has already consigned his nightmare season as Waratahs head coach to history.

"Mate, I've drawn a line under last year a long time ago," Foley said. "The journey I'm on now is with this team and I'm loving every minute of it.

"I've loved it from the first day. We have an incredibly hard-working playing group who are developing all the time and we have an amazingly supportive organisation which is not something that can be taken for granted."

Foley didn't mention the Waratahs by name in the after-glow of the Suncorp Stadium success but twice hailed the support and unity the Force boasts in what could only be seen as a veiled comparison.

He praised the character of his players to respond to the demoralising round two loss to the fledgling Kings, which had many experts tipping a wooden-spoon finish.

"This is an organisation that has been under immense pressure for an extended period and yet they have hung tough and they have rode through it," Foley said.

Ironically, it was Foley's time at the Waratahs which led to the recruitment of Mathewson, who carved up NSW for the Blues in the 2011 elimination final at Eden Park.

"He was an absolutely critical player for them that year," he said.

But when former Hurricanes teammate Piri Weepu followed Mathewson to Auckland last year, the four-Test All Black was pushed out at No.9 despite Weepu being recruited to play five-eighth.

"I'm not trying to bag the Blues but promises were made and not kept," Mathewson told AAP.

New Blues coach John Kirwan intended trialling both Weepu and Mathewson at halfback this year but a decreased contract offer convinced the 27-year-old he'd have more game time at the Force.

"The toughest thing for me was not being eligible for the All Blacks," he said.

"But then again, being stuck at No.2 you are always going to be in trouble.

"(Kirwan) wanted me to stay and said he couldn't really separate us.

"But the contract they offered me compared to what they had been paying me was a kick in the guts."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    All I can say is - it's bloody good to have you both!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Michael Foley gets a chance to feel the Force

by:Wayne Smith
    March 18, 201312:00AM

SUDDENLY, backed by a supportive Western Force organisation, Michael Foley is emerging as the impressive head coach he never had the chance to become at the Waratahs last year.

Foley lasted only one year as NSW coach and it is safe to say it was the most miserable year of his life. It was not just that the Waratahs won only four matches, although that was to trigger unrelenting criticism. There was also the fact that he received so little backing from his organisation.

The former World Cup-winning Wallabies hooker has never spoken publicly of his trials as Waratahs coach but by highlighting what was so good about the Western Force organisation following his side's stunning 19-12 victory over the Reds at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night, he obliquely shone a light on what was so wrong at the Tahs.

"Having a supportive organisation that says through the tough times 'We'll stick together' is not something that should be taken for granted," Foley said. "This is an organisation that has been under immense pressure for an extended period and yet they have hung tough and they have rode through it."

It became fashionable last year to disparage Foley's coaching ability, even though players who had worked with him while he was Wallabies forwards coach spoke glowingly of his technical knowledge. The fact that one of them, former Test second-rower Hugh McMeniman, followed him to Perth this year on his return from Japan is a fair pointer to the regard in which he is held.

Four wins from 16 matches undermined his reputation but his performance has been given new perspective by the fact that his successor Michael Cheika has been able to squeeze only one win from four from the Tahs this season and seems to be battling much the same cultural malaise.

Aside from the Kings game when the players strayed from what they had been taught, the Force has contested all of its matches strongly before breaking through for a well-deserved win over Queensland.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226599373752

vCash
    SUDDENLY, backed by a supportive Western Force organisation, Michael Foley is emerging as the impressive head coach he never had the chance to become at the Waratahs last year.

Foley lasted only one year as NSW coach and it is safe to say it was the most miserable year of his life. It was not just that the Waratahs won only four matches, although that was to trigger unrelenting criticism. There was also the fact that he received so little backing from his organisation.
    I hope someone mails this part to Phil Kearns and the rest of the losers on the Rugby Club or whatever it's called these days

vCash
    cant wait to cheer them (and foley) onto the paddock next week.

vCash
    I feel genuinely sorry for the Tahs fans. They seem to be being kicked in the teeth by the NSWRU board, franchise and players.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I feel genuinely sorry for the Tahs fans. They seem to be being kicked in the teeth by the NSWRU board, franchise and players.
    You would think they would be used to it by now............

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Interesting piece by Spiro Zavos in the Roar, comparing Foley & Fowler to RG and Link (bottom part of the article).

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/03/18...tahs-sarelled/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Michael Foley gets a chance to feel the Force

by:Wayne Smith
    March 18, 201312:00AM

OK look, I can understand people like me getting positive at this moment, but for Wayne Smith to change his spots is hugely significant. this is the guy that hasn't penned a positive article for the Force since it's inception and once said that the team will be relocated to Melbourne.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I don't, they deserve everything they get for supporting such a Machiavellian and corrupt organisation.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    but for Wayne Smith to change his spots is hugely significant.
    If this improvement becomes permanent, and I think it will, they may need to knock down the Western Stand to provide parking for a bloody huuuuuge band wagon.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If this improvement becomes permanent, and I think it will, they may need to knock down the Western Stand to provide parking for a bloody huuuuuge band wagon.
    that piece of crap is heritage listed, they'll need to park the bandwagon on a flyover carpark/stand with facilities for the private helicopters of the WA money who suddenly become rugby supporters (A La the Glory supporters after they won their pennant, the Wildcats supporters every year after they win the title and the Dockers supporters some time in the 2050s)

C'mon the

vCash
    what is a good crowd number this weekend? Given the way the team has been tracking untill last weekend and all the bad press i think anything north of 15k would be a good number. Hopefuly they get another win which will only help boost numbers.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    not to forget GayFL have the Derby at the same time as our game.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am tipping a sell out on the back of it being the first home game of the season, a great win against the reds and also everyone will want to say 'I was there' at the first game in the new stadium

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast