Thread: Threats Foil Force Signing

vCash

Threats Foil Force Signing

Apparently North Harbour's the problem with Parsons.

Also, looks like the England Tour match will be against an Australia A side, not the

Nick Taylor- Jan 30

The Western Force have been blocked in their bid to sign New Zealand hooker James Parsons from the North Harbour club amid last-minute legal threats.

Parsons was set to sign a two-year contract with the Force but yesterday North Harbour claimed that a "handshake deal" tied him to the NZ provincial club.

Parsons, 23, had been training with the Force since early this month.

North Harbour claim they expected him back for the Air New Zealand Cup competition after Super 14 but under Australian Rugby Union rules an overseas developing player cannot return to his former club.

Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy said: "Everyone had an understanding, North Harbour, the New Zealand Rugby Union, that if James was offered a contract he would not be able to return.

"North Harbour are holding him to a verbal agreement and said that if he takes up a contract they will take legal action.

"A handshake is enough for them to deny him the chance to play Super 14.

"James has no choice but to return. He does not want to get involved in a legal fight." North Harbour chief executive Brett Hollister claimed Parsons had "committed to sign an agreement" to play in this season's ANZ tournament.

When asked whether he held a signed contract with Parsons, Hollister said: "We have a written commitment to an agreement from his management and we sought external legal advice over the matter.

"I have shaken hands with the player as well. Either someone has not understood the contracting environment in Australia or misrepresented the player's intent to stay in Australia if he was offered a contract.

"That is the only conclusion you can draw."

However, Hardy said: "There was no contract, no offer in writing, no acceptance, just an email from his manager, and that's good enough for North Harbour.

"The only person losing out here is James."

Parsons had been picked for the Force's third pre-season trial against the Queensland Reds on Friday at ME Bank Stadium.

The Force will now start the season with Rockingham product Ryan Tyrrell and Australia A schoolboy Ben Whittaker.

·England will play an Australian side in a midweek warm-up match at ME Bank Stadium before the Test match against the Wallabies at Subiaco Oval in June.

Reports from the UK claim that Martin Johnson's touring squad will take on the Western Force on Tuesday, June 8 before the Test the following Saturday but an ARU spokesman confirmed that while England would play a second game in Perth it would be against an Australian representative side.

He could not confirm the composition of the side or how it would be selected.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If that article is correct, and the handshake was done prior to the Force offer, then it does not say a lot for the North Harbour management. To block a young player from a S14 contract for the sake of an ANZ season is pretty hard. RugbyWA should possibly cut him some slack and allow him to return there for a few months if that's all that's stopping him. Lots of the boys played in Sydney last season anyway.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Well, if the Force aren't prepared to offer an out of court settlement on a provincial contract, he can't be all that special. It'd probably cost more to keep the team in powerade!

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Shasta, I don't think it"s the Force who care about that, more likely the Development player rules. He has to qualify for the Wallabies by citizenship within 3 years, I guess going back to play for Harbour would delay that.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I Lots of the boys played in Sydney last season anyway.
    Very true shasta! what harm will it do if he goes and plays in NZ. In fact it may be better he will get more games for a start and from what little I saw of the ARC, or what ever its called at the moment, end up doing some real scrummaging.

May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree with Gigsy's take on it, it will be an ARU position and will be to do with residency issues, can hardly say he's a resident when he spends half the year in the eighth state.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Didn't Digby have a handshake deal with the Force before he signed with QLD
    Grow some balls Force management.
    Parsons wants to sign. Show him the dotted line
    The kiwis can blubber in their sour tasting beer

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies Horatio

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bloody ARU. Let England play against the Force.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I agree with Gigsy's take on it, it will be an ARU position and will be to do with residency issues, can hardly say he's a resident when he spends half the year in the eighth state.
    That being the case he and Rugby WA should tell them to go take a flying leap. A bloke should be as good as his word but changed circumstances and opportunity should see Harbour release him from the handshake and wish him well. Piss poor.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'll be honest, I'm less pissed about Parsons than I am about the ARU deciding that the mid-week match is theirs.

That being the case however, they should make it an Aus A match to achieve best effect for Australian rugby. I just hope that it also establishes the protocol for midweek tour matches and there won't be any matches between the Reds/Tahs and future midyear touring sides.