Thread: Whitaker ducks blame for O'Connor mess

vCash

Whitaker ducks blame for O'Connor mess

Besieged former recruitment chief Ben Whitaker has defended his performance at Queensland Reds amid claims he bungled the pursuit of Wallabies sensation James O'Connor.
    Whitaker, who quit on Friday, said he believed he did a "good job" and hoped his dramatic Ballymore exit would not ruin his work prospects.

Whitaker has been pilloried for failing to pursue O'Connor, the Gold Coast wonderboy who had expressed a desire to return to Queensland next season after moving to Western Force two years ago.

O'Connor's manager Anthony Picone revealed he offered his client's services to the Reds twice in recent months. Both times, he was knocked back by Whitaker.

The Reds made a last-ditch attempt to lure O'Connor last Tuesday, three days after his three-try heroics in his Wallabies run-on debut against Italy.

But the O'Connor camp says Queensland has moved too late, with the 18-year-old to sign a two-year deal with the Force this week.

In the past two seasons, the Reds have been decimated by the offshore departures of Chris Latham, Clinton Schifcofske, Sam Cordingley and Rodney Blake and the retirement of David Croft and John Roe.

Last month, Test forward Hugh McMeniman revealed he would quit the province to play in Japan.

Explosive outside back Digby Ioane continues to mull over a vastly inferior deal to that on offer abroad.

Amid the exodus, Whitaker completed two notable signings - former All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid and Melbourne NRL centre Will Chambers, who will join the Reds next season.

Whitaker resigned on Friday, but scoffed at the perception he failed dismally in recruitment.

"There's been articles in the paper about me but I know what's happened," Whitaker said.

"I'm pretty confident I did a good job. In saying that, it's time for myself and the union to move on.
    "I have resigned. I just decided to make a decision and we can all move on. I've got my reasons for doing it. I'm not going to make those public."

It has been reported that Whitaker's decision to walk was sparked by the midweek axing of forwards coach Mark Bell and team manager Brendan Morris.

Whitaker denied the claim.

It is understood he decided to go after a submission he tabled last month, outlining his vision for the rejuvenation of the province, clashed with the views of Queensland powerbrokers

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think they may be overstating the situation with JO'C.
    Being interested at looking at an offer and a "desire to return" are too very different things.
    JO'C has only said he was suprised they didn't, not that he would have taken it up if offered.
    As he is from Qld, I think most of the Aus Rugby Community would be suprised they didn't at least attempt to get him, as with any other promising expat on the market.
    Making an offer though is a long way from wanting to come home.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This was reported -

O'Connor, born and raised on the Gold Coast where his family still lives, was as surprised as everyone else that his home state did not initially approach him with a contract offer. "I don't know too much. At the Reds they've got a good ball-playing structure with Berrick Barnes and Quade Cooper so I was always in two minds," he said.

"I heard last week about their interest. It was definitely a good option, to think about going home. I think their structural changes maybe came a bit too late."

That does suggest that he may have been a reasonable chance of being a Red if the matter had been better handled by Whittaker. Who knows?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not saying Whitaker shouldn't of acted, but surprise and a good option to think about is not a signature on paper.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.