Thread: New Welsh skipper walking tall

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

New Welsh skipper walking tall

New Welsh skipper walking tall

19/01/2008 5:06:00 AM
    PA Sport

Ryan Jones is hard enough to stop at the best of times but the new Wales captain heads into the Six Nations Championship feeling '10 feet tall' and determined to kick-start a new era for Welsh rugby.

Jones was selected as captain by new coach Warren Gatland after playing just three matches in six months following a shoulder injury which ruled him out of the World Cup.

Two operations have limited Jones to just 16 appearances for Wales since he made his debut in 2004 but there was no sense Gatland had taken a gamble. If anything, his selection was seen as inspired.

Jones had a huge impact on Wales' Grand Slam triumph in 2005 and later that year as a replacement on the Lions tour of New Zealand.

When fit he is a guaranteed to start at number eight and Jones showed enough in those three games, including the Ospreys' Heineken Cup win over Gloucester, that he is back to his best.

"His ability is unquestionable on the pitch and he has the necessary experience to fill the captaincy role," Gatland enthused.

"Ryan brings experience of playing for Wales and the British Lions. He is hugely respected by players both on and off the pitch and I think he will do a great job for us."

In Wales, the national captaincy is seen as something of a poisoned chalice. Martyn Williams even turned the honour down ahead of the 2003 World Cup.

The infectiously enthusiastic Gareth Thomas remains revered by Wales fans despite the World Cup disappointment, but Stephen Jones suffered under the weight of expectation in last year's Six Nations.

But Jones is relaxed and eloquent behind the microphone, which will only help him deal with the inevitable darts, however many or however few, that will be launched in his direction.

"Rugby is massive in Wales and that just goes to emphasise what an honour this is," said Jones.

"My life will not be the same again and my private life is not going to be my own. But I go in with my eyes wide open and I know what the job entails.

"It was a special day for me. I have had another rollercoaster year but phone calls like the one I had from Warren Gatland offering me the captaincy make it all worthwhile.

"It took me all of three seconds to accept and I have felt 10-feet tall ever since.

"I am in a privileged position and it is a great job to have. People talk about it being a poisoned chalice but those things are out of your control.

"This is another one of my dreams I will get a chance to live and I am lucky and grateful. If we get off to a winning start everything will be rosy and people will jump on the bandwagon.

"But I know the buck stops with me and I have to take the highs with the lows.

"It is difficult to deal with the expectations because I am just a normal guy who happens to be good at rugby.

"It is important you know who your friends are, that you can rely on your family and who to turn to when the going gets tough."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i watched ospreys vs cardiff over christmas, jones was outstanding, in other welsh news dwanye peel has left the scarlets to join sale, and stephen jones may be also moving from stradey park not good news for my welsh team, who are having a bit of a shocker this season...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!