Highly-rated Australian Brian Melrose believes an around-the-world coaching odyssey has readied him for a senior position in the Super Rugby competition.

Melrose is back in Sydney after completing stints at London Irish and Connacht and is among the shortlist of candidates for the vacant Western Force job.

The Perth club is heavily pursuing Stade Francais coach Michael Cheika and Sharks boss John Plumtree following the shock exit of Richard Graham, but Melrose enjoys strong support.

Interim coach Phil Blake is also hoping to land the job full-time but the team's run of three straight losses may count against him.

"After furthering my experiences in the northern hemisphere over the past two years, I feel confident of taking on a Super Rugby head coaching position in Australia if offered the opportunity," Melrose told Sportal.

"There are only five of those opportunities here so it's not like they come up every day of the week, but it does hold a lot of attraction."

Melrose, who was a member of the Waratahs coaching staff in 2005-06, has interest from a number of overseas clubs but his preference is to remain in Australia.

"It was a great experience working overseas and something I would do again, but my passion is to work in Australian rugby and be back with my family if possible after spending that time apart," he said.

"I would like to think my record suggests I have added value wherever I have been and can get the job done no matter the circumstances."

The Force sit bottom of the Australian conference after being belted 53-11 by the Sharks in Durban last weekend.

Cheika, who guided Irish club Leinster to the 2009 Heineken Cup, is the favoured candidate to land the Force job after being told he will not be in charge of Stade Francais next year.

Force captain and Wallabies star David Pocock is holding off on signing a new contract until the coaching situation is sorted out.