Thread: Alcock makes a super rugby start

Champion
    vCash

Alcock makes a super rugby start

Good man is Alcock. Always happy to have a chat and a bloody good player.

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

It's the opening Super Rugby game of the year, you're wearing the No.7 jumper, packing down where your captain ruled supreme last season.
    It's a big test of a shoulder reconstruction, you're playing former teammates, reigning champions the NSW Waratahs, and your side has never won a season opener in nine attempts. So, no pressure then.
    Apparently not on flanker Chris Alcock.
    He scored his first Western Force try in the 25-13 win at Allianz Stadium last Sunday and ran No.8 Ben McCalman close for man-of the-match honours.
    "I have to say it was very special. Getting that try is something that I will remember," Alcock said.
    "I didn't think about the Waratahs as being my former team. The Force is my side and that's all I concentrate on.
    "Everyone else is just opposition that I need to beat."
    Alcock, back at openside flanker for tomorrow's clash with the Queensland Reds in Brisbane, played 16 matches in 2013, but in the opening game last year, against the Waratahs, he sustained a shoulder injury.
    He was coach Michael Foley's first signing for the Force.
    "Chris is an excellent team man," Foley said.
    "It's always hard being the guy that plays behind the captain, particularly a captain like Hodgo (Matt Hodgson).
    "Chris stayed at it. He came back from pre-season fitter than he has ever been and that's a real testament to him."
    Foley has selected Zack Holmes to replace the injured Dane Haylett-Petty at full-back for the Reds clash.
    Francois van Wyk makes his starting debut at loosehead prop after Pek Cowan damaged his neck in the season opener.
    Prop Chris Heiberg and winger Mitchell Scott, who come into the reserves, are in line to make their debut. Foley said the selections were a reflection of the depth of his squad.
    "Francois and Zack have both worked hard on different aspects of their game over the last 12 months," Foley said.
    "Their contributions against the Waratahs should provide them with confidence to put in a good performance."
    James O'Connor will start at fly-half in his Reds debut, with Karmichael Hunt shifting to full-back. Former All Black flanker Adam Thomson will also make his debut.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...r-rugby-start/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    "The Force is my side and that's all I concentrate on. Everyone else is just opposition that I need to beat."

Words to live by!!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!