Thread: Berrick Barnes's betrayal angers Queensland Reds' NRL recruit

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Berrick Barnes's betrayal angers Queensland Reds' NRL recruit

By Jim Tucker
    August 01, 2009 Melborne Storm star Will Chambers is devastated by the walkout of Queensland Reds star Berrick Barnes and the broken promise to mentor him in his debut rugby season next year.

Centre Chambers, 21, is the Reds' prized recruit for 2010 yet the turmoil in Queensland rugby this week has so spooked him his concerned manager wants to revisit the contract.

Manager Jim Banaghan spoke by phone with Reds general manager Daniel Herbert late on Friday to go over "the most basic premise of the contract not being fulfilled".

It would be over-dramatic to say Banaghan wants the contract voided but the vibe was that if Chambers struck a deal now on his future, it would not be at the reeling Reds.

"Basically, we've been told there is no negotiating - 'it is a contract to be abided by, try to stay positive and sorry about the promises'," an unsatisfied Banaghan said.

"Look, you don't get better people than Herbert and (retention committee ally) Tim Horan but Will is blown away by what's happened.

"Berrick was one of the big inducements, the playmaker throwing the passes to a young centre who has a dream to make the Wallabies and the 2011 World Cup.

"(Reds coach) Phil Mooney assured us Berrick would stay and guide as a mentor. Berrick told Will he'd be staying when they all met in Brisbane two months ago.

"It's fine to talk about being part of the big rebuild of the Reds but you know what happens to pioneers. They are the ones who get the arrows."

Peter Lewis resigned as QRU chairman on Thursday night with a shot at fly half Barnes.

"He said to the team and publicly that he was staying. As the QRU we met every request and went the extra mile so it's poor from him," Lewis said.

Backline ace Digby Ioane is spending the weekend agonising over whether to finally put pen to a Reds contract in the wake of the Barnes exit.

NSW are feeding off the Reds' vulnerable position. Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has confirmed they had upgraded moves to woo Ioane to replace sacked Wallaby Lote Tuqiri.

In a strong sign that he is his own man and may yet sign to the Reds, Ioane spoke openly of the player anguish over Barnes's decision

"It's his choice but it hurts when I felt he was committed," Ioane said.

"The Reds have still got good players and if we stick together we can make a difference. I love the Reds and I'm switching off hundreds of phone calls to make up my own mind."

If Ioane were to stick with the Reds it would be a huge show of his character and ability to become a leader among the players of Polynesian origin in the Reds squad.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    If Ioane were to stick with the Reds it would be a huge show of his character and ability to become a leader among the players of Polynesian origin in the Reds squad.
    Do it Digby.

Got to admit, the fact that Barnes made a commitment to Chambers when they were trying to get him from Melbourne puts his decision in a bad light, if it's factual.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    come on down digby

Champion
    vCash
    Digby on a 2 year deal...with a Get out clause for the Victorian Super 15 side in 2010!