The 2009 Lions overturned a half-time deficit to begin their 10-match tour of South Africa with a hard-fought win over a Royal XV on Saturday afternoon.

Ian McGeechan’s tourists secured a 37-25 victory thanks to tries from Tommy Bowe, Lee Byrne, Alun-Wyn Jones and Ronan O’Gara, together with 17 points from the impeccable boot of the Lions’ Irish fly-half.
The Lions left it late to ensure they got off to a winning start, with Jones crossing with just four minutes left to play before O’Gara cruised over with the final move of a nerve-wracking encounter in Phokeng.

Didn’t know if this had been posted but I watched the game and it wasn’t too bad. The royals played with their hearts on their sleeves and did themselves proud. The Lions committed to many unforced errors especially Earles who had an absolute shocker. Sarel Pretorius the Royals scrumhalf was outstanding and my pick of the players who will continue onto better things. The Lee Byrne try was one of the best individual tries I have seen in ages awesome skills and a prodigious left boot.