Thread: Mark Gasnier keen to push for Wallaby honours

vCash

Mark Gasnier keen to push for Wallaby honours

Mark Gasnier keen to push for Wallaby honours
    By David Murray in Paris

September 20, 2008 12:00am

MARK Gasnier has unveiled a long-term plan to push for Wallaby selection once he serves his apprenticeship at French rugby club Stade Francais.

As he prepares for his rugby debut next weekend, Gasnier told The Daily Telegraph he is unlikely to return to league, with his focus on making a successful transition to the 15-a-side code.

Interviewed at the club's HQ in Paris, Gasnier also spoke of his disappointment at..Read More Here.

PS. If this has been posted previously, my apologies. Do not have the luxury of a mobile devise (like others) that gives me surf time on the web while out camping.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i read it on Saturday but forgot to post it.

KQ your just jealous of my ability to be on TWF pretty much 24/7

vCash
    It seems like a big jump for a guy who was a stellar prospect for about six months in league to think he's a shot for the Wallabies.

Gasnier has always had bucketloads of potential (probably more from the gene pool than anything else) but seemed a bit of a Wendell overall. He didn't seem to play league to his strengths so much as to his perception of being better than everybody else on the field. It seems that opposition players figured out his weaknesses pretty quick and he didn't do much to change.

I guess Link knows how to coach the league out of a boy and (now that I've read the article) as long as Gaz takes a humble approach and doesn't try to be Jonah tomorrow he might do OK, he's off the mark with wanting to play in the Waratahs in two years time though, by then all the will have come from a team wearing a darker shade of blue!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Gasnier has always had bucketloads of potential (probably more from the gene pool than anything else) but seemed a bit of a Wendell overall. He didn't seem to play league to his strengths so much as to his perception of being better than everybody else on the field. It seems that opposition players figured out his weaknesses pretty quick and he didn't do much to change.
    What do you base this opinion on GIGGS? I'd be the first to acknowledge that you're a pretty good judge when it comes to Rugby, but Gasnier "potentially" a good RL player who didn't play to his strengths? The bloke has played 15 Tests, 9 origins and would have played plenty more were it not for injury and the infamous "fire up" incident. He finished this year as the best centre in the game IMO. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in the 15 man version.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm fairly undecided at this one.
    At least he hasn't gone down the "I'm only playing Union if I get selected for the Wallabies" path that most high profile converts have.
    Admittedly I have only seen him play at Rep level and on the occasional highlights reel on WA TV but if it is merit based selection rather than this Tahu nonsense then I guess good on him.
    You would have to assume it would be at #12 or #13 he would be competing for though if (can he Shasta?) he can kick he could make a pretty mean #15 too!
    Perhaps a Rogers style "Super Sub".
    At thirty in 2011 I imagine it would be NZ or bust for him so at least he has a good goal to aim for in France to sharpen his training and playing.
    Notice he also didn't confine it to just the Tahs, it was "Waratahs or S14 in general".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    though if (can he Shasta?) he can kick he could make a pretty mean #15 too!
    Perhaps a Rogers style "Super Sub".
    Not sure. He wanted to play 5/8 and had acouple of runs there last year before the season ending ruptured pec. But mostly he has played right centre and isn't really called on to kick tactically. Competant goal kicker though. Agree on the super sub option if he can. He's also played a bit at Fullback for Saints.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    There is no doubting his ball handling talent. I do doubt his brains he has a great ability to put his mouth in to gear whilst his brain is in neutral, he is also of the same opinion of Matt Rodgers who thinks that he is an absolute superstar and us petty fans have no business talk to such "stars".

Lets not forget that as far as Wallaby selection goes he needs to be playing for an Australian Super14 side. I cant believe that Robbie Deans - who will start selecting his World Cup Squad with our 2008 Spring Tour Squad will want to mess around with a tried squad 12 months out

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco