Thread: Corry steps aside for youngsters

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Corry steps aside for youngsters

Corry steps aside for youngsters

9/01/2008 7:43:58 AM
    PA Sport

Martin Corry revealed the emergence of England's new generation persuaded him the time was right to exit the Test arena.

Corry's name will be missing when England names its 32-man squad for the Six Nations on Wednesday after announcing his international retirement.

The 34-year-old remained part of Brian Ashton's plans for the tournament but he informed the coach in a recent telephone conversation of his decision to bow out.

A renewed sense of optimism has swept through English rugby since October's stirring march to the World Cup final, further heightened by the presence of an exciting crop of young talent.

Back rowers such as James Haskell, Tom Rees, Tom Croft and Jordan Crane are among the highly-rated prospects expected to flourish over the coming years and Corry has embraced the new era.

"It just seemed to be the right time to retire given where England are now. I'm not going to be around for the next World Cup," he said.

"England are in an important rebuilding process and it's best that I just step aside and let everyone else carry it on.

"Some players have been waiting patiently for their chance and it's their opportunity now.

"England now has developing talent coming through the ranks and the clubs should be shown a huge amount of respect for that."

Corry amassed 64 caps during a decade-long Test career that saw his opportunities limited by the presence of Lawrence Dallaglio, Richard Hill and Neil Back.

The trio formed one of the finest backs rows of all time and many of Corry's early caps were won as a substitute, but by 2004 he had become an automatic selection.

A respected and popular individual, Corry was one of the few England players to emerge from the disastrous reign of former coach Andy Robinson with any credit.

The Leicester number eight may have been handed the England captaincy but he was shabbily treated by Robinson at times with Dallaglio's return from international exile undermining his position.

But he won widespread admiration for his refusal to complain and his commitment, passion and heart were key to England's astonishing turnaround at the World Cup.

"I think my time's going to be best suited being at Leicester," Corry told Sky Sports News.

"I have a young family and it's always a wrench leaving them. I want to spend more time at home and more time at my club.

"I'm always tempted to continue. It's a question of when do you stop? Unfortunately, I'm 34 years old.

"I have to pull the plug at some stage. Leicester have been brilliant to me and they deserve a fair bit of my time now."

Ashton lamented the loss of one of his most reliable performers, an indomitable character who endeared himself to the media by consistently fronting up for interviews during the Robinson era - no matter how badly England had played.

"From a purely selfish point of view I'm really disappointed that Martin Corry will no longer be playing for England," he said.

"He has worn the red rose with pride and dignity for many years and has been an outstanding member of the England team both on and off the field."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'll give him 6 months before he is kicking at the heels to come back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.