Thread: Giteau thanks Tuqiri but will miss Reds derby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau thanks Tuqiri but will miss Reds derby

Giteau thanks Tuqiri but will miss Reds derby

April 13, 2008 - 4:33PM

Western Force superstar Matt Giteau has thanked NSW winger Lote Tuqiri for rushing to his assistance following a sickening head knock during last night's 17-12 Super 14 loss to the Waratahs.

Tuqiri put his Wallaby team-mate's health first, rushing to place Giteau in the recovery position before rejoining a Waratahs attacking raid and going on to win the man-of-the-match award in the Subiaco Oval derby.

Giteau was cleared of any major damage but today was ruled out of next Friday's Suncorp Stadium clash with Queensland after suffering his third head knock this season.

The champion Wallaby was knocked senseless and taken from the field in a neck brace when he attempted a front-on tackle on Waratahs fullback Sam Norton-Knight in the 20th minute of the game.

The incident overshadowed the Waratahs surge into the top four as they grabbed Australian Super 14 bragging rights.

Elsewhere, the Brumbies kept their finals hopes alive with an impressive 16-11 win over the Blues in Auckland while Queensland rested up during their bye weekend.
    "I remember everything from the game so it feels like nothing has happened," Giteau said today.

"The most disappointing thing is that I didn't get to participate more in the game, because it is the type of game you want to be involved in.

"I spoke to Lote after the game when he came in to the dressing rooms and thanked him.

"It was a good thing to do, and I would like to think I would do the same thing for him.
    "I came to on the field when I was being put on the stretcher. It was scary because the medical staff were asking if I could move my fingers.

"They were just being over cautious I guess."

Medical staff have ordered Giteau to stay off his feet until Wednesday, when he will be checked by a neurosurgeon in Perth.

The Force, who have now won only four of 16 home games since joining the Super rugby fold, have their bye after next weekend's Reds clash and Giteau is expected to return for the game against the Chiefs in Perth on May 3.

Meanwhile, the Waratahs were supposedly in crisis just two weeks ago but last night progressed to a 6-2 win-loss record and jumped from sixth to fourth on 26 points behind unbeaten New Zealanders the Crusaders (38), South Africa's Sharks (31) and the Wellington-based Hurricanes (26).

NSW notched their third straight win and their finals hopes look to be on track as they have a game in hand over the fifth-placed Blues (25) and sixth-placed Force (24).
    The Brumbies (20) are ninth and the Reds (12) 10th.

Waratahs captain Phil Waugh, whose knee injury is unlikely to sideline him for any game time, said his players had always felt their season was on track even as the speculation had swirled about coach Ewen McKenzie's contract.

"It seemed to be sort of a storm in a tea cup as advocated by the media really, about how we were going, so among the squad it's always felt pretty good," he said.

Waugh said the win had set up the back end of the Waratahs' campaign, in which they will meet only one side - the Sharks - above them on the ladder.
    But he said there would be no complacency.

"The Sharks are one of the top sides, the Stormers are near enough as well," he said.
    "Then you've got the Bulls in Pretoria which is always tough and the Reds in Queensland who always get up for that game, particularly [as] they've got nothing else to play for except to play for that game this year."

AAP

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/s...024973754.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    yes i will pay him that, but not man of the match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    the Reds in Queensland who always get up for that game, particularly [as] they've got nothing else to play for except to play for that game this year.
    Well there is the game against the which is another Aussie Derby, and you'd have to say after last night they'd fancy themselves beating us more than them!

C'mon the