Thread: Players distracted by coaching merry-go-round: O'Neill

vCash

Players distracted by coaching merry-go-round: O'Neill

Players distracted by coaching merry-go-round: O'Neill

Adrian Proszenko | April 27, 2008

JOHN O'NEILL has slammed the ongoing coaching merry-go-round as unnecessary, saying it distracts from the push by the Waratahs and Brumbies for the finals.

The Waratahs had won four on the trot up to last night's match, which has rocketed them to third on the table, but most of the focus has been on the search for Ewen McKenzie's replacement as coach.

"My personal preference is to avoid distractions from the playing of the game," O'Neill told The Sun-Herald. "The Waratahs are really in the hunt and … the Brumbies aren't out of it, either.

"In a perfect world you'd like to delay those decisions till the end of the season.

"I'm not intimately aware of what's going on in the background, only to say that the fewer the distractions the players have from the playing of the game, the better."

While the ARU has been watching developments on the coaching front, particularly in its NSW heartland, O'Neill said coaching issues would remain the domain of the states.

"It's their territory and we'd only be treading on their toes if we jumped in," he said.

O'Neill is in Dublin this weekend for an IRB meeting which could determine whether Tri Nations matches are played under the new experimental law variations. He hopes the northern hemisphere nations will change their stance and welcome the new rules for the good of the game.

"If that's the case, you play the Tri Nations in 2008 under the ELVs," he said. "We're very enthusiastic about what we've seen through the Shute Shield last year, the ARC, the Super 14.

"While we're only trialling four [variations] in the Super 14, they're working.

"It's a better spectacle, it's a better style of game, the players are enjoying it, the referees are enjoying it and the fans are enjoying it.

"We think it's now time to have a worldwide trial, because only then do you get away from this northern hemisphere-southern hemisphere nonsense.

"It's got to be a decision that's in the best interests of world rugby.

"[IRB boss] Syd Millar said the game has become boring, defence has dominated attack and we need to create more time and space."

Former Wallabies assistant coach Alex Evans and Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett recently floated a proposal to create a hybrid game to introduce schoolchildren to the basic principles of the two rugby codes.

O'Neill said the idea warranted investigation.

"I don't believe the hybrid game is going to emerge, but I believe the point they were making is one that has merit - that is, NRL and ARU perhaps working together on development programs," he said.

"It really recognises the AFL is the elephant in the room, with much deeper pockets than we have.

"Perhaps there's some room to look at some shared services on the early-stage development of kids.

"It's a catch-pass-tackle-kick game. The skills are very similar.

"Maybe at that skill development level there may be opportunities for us to co-operate."

O'Neill said he and NRL CEO David Gallop "might have a chat about it" soon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John O'Neill
    "My personal preference is to avoid distractions from the playing of the game,"
    I love that he says this now but when the Force were deep in the heart of finals contention & the top 4/5 he didn't have any problems. I know we are at the more serious end of the season now, but every game has a value in gaining a finals spot. I think that contracting should not be allowed during the season, IMHO its unfair on the players and coaching staff who are to training for & playing games.

vCash
    while i agree, what happens if a player has no intention of staying after the season has finished. and uses the rest of the season to advertise themself for potential clubs.
    thats taking away from the team because the team could be introducing another player in the spot that will become vacant.

vCash
    Get the contracts sorted after the season, then they can show off all they like and the team will benefit from their perfomance and then after the season when they have given their all to show off they can go and do whatever their heart so desires.

I reckon the team should blood new players during the season, use them to cover injuries, take them on tours & train them up as you would for any other team whether it be Super14 or 5th grade local comp.

vCash
    time for a lie down john o'neil, you finally talking sense!!! ..... now the tahds are winning his got good ideas? shenanigans

vCash
    There should be no contractual discussions (players or coaches) until after the Super14 season ends....that way the players have to maximise their performances (benefiting their current team) in order to gain interest for future discussions.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    maybe thats the way to go. it would take pressure off all involved