Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Staniforth set for recall

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Talking Staniforth set for recall

Western Force utility back Scott Staniforth could be thrust into a starting role for Saturday's Super 14 match against the Sharks in Perth as the Force count the cost of their 23-23 draw with the Crusaders.

Cameron Shepherd, who played on the wing against the Crusaders before limping to the bench in the second half, is set for a week on the sidelines after spraining his ankle when several players fell across his leg during a tackle.

It was the same ankle he broke while playing for the Wallabies last year and the Force are likely to err on the side of caution with the talented 24-year-old.

Fellow winger Nick Cummins (hamstring) is rated only a 50-50 chance to take on the Sharks, meaning Haig Sare and Staniforth could be given starting berths for the crucial clash.

Staniforth, who underwent knee surgery during the off-season, played 12 minutes off the bench against the Cheetahs in round two but was left out of the squad for the Force's three-game road trip to Canberra and New Zealand as coach John Mitchell opted for match-hardened players.

Force prop Ben Castle has been cleared of any serious damage to his neck and shoulder and is likely to take his place against the Sharks.

The Force (12 points) sit four points adrift of the top four but Mitchell felt the team was in good shape after snaring a bonus-point win and a draw from their three-game road trip.

However, with home games against the Sharks, Reds and Hurricanes to come in the next four weeks, Mitchell is eager to see his charges impose themselves at Subiaco Oval.

Since their inception in 2006, the Force have won just eight of their 21 matches at the venue.

"It's very tight on the ladder so we just have to look after our own backyard against the Sharks," Mitchell said.

"We are one of few sides in Australia and New Zealand that have been on the road for three weeks so to get seven out of 12 points is pleasing."

Skipper Nathan Sharpe said spirits were high after the testing road trip.

"We've been on the road, we've finished our biggest road trip and we've gone through half our away games now," Sharpe said.

"There's plenty of games left at home and that leaves us in good shape.

"It's a big game for us this weekend and we certainly want to focus on getting the job done at home against the Sharks."

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Spanner Time!

Hope Cummins is healthy also, he's the goods...

vCash
    SPANNER TIME! Excellent..

I seriously don't think Haig Sare should be on the other wing, I think Drew Mitchell should be there and ANYONE ELSE on the planet at fullback please. Stefan Terblance is an amazing player and would make Drew look beyond hopeless, which would be a tad embarassing. DHP can play fullback pretty well can't he... He was FB at the preseason game against the saders. I don't seem to remember how he went... Was he alright? Maybe we could start him at 15 with Drew and Spanner on the wings and if he's not holding up move Drew there and bring Haig on...

Spanner... go get those Sharkies!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    wooo spanner

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't have thought one of our most experienced players would be getting "thrust" anywhere, but anyway...
    Great to hear, though I still maintain he is wasted on the Wing, should come in to #13 or ideally #12.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Spanner = utility back = play anywhere, anytime

Still - would be good to see him in the centres somewhere

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    JOC to fullback and Spanner to 12, mitchell to Wing...

vCash
    i hope/know spanna will play great this weekend, wish i was going to be there to see it but lets hope this is the start of many more games for him and fingers crossed no more injury. on ya spanna

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Go Spanners

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds good to me Zim

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    SPAAANNAAAAA!!!!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    If Sheps is fit play him at fullback... Mitchell wing, Staniforth 12, Cross 13, other wing Cummins if fit... JOC bench... Francois Steyn will be at 10 depending who they fly in... Ruan Pienaar is on the plane with a medial ligament injury... unknown time out until scans in SA...

Big squad the Sharks JOC could be a little small... end up looking a little Ikea flat-packed, not good... Give the 12 job to Spanners... bring JOC on in the second half and use his speed and elusive step to open up the big saffer line...

vCash
    Steyn at 10? God Giteau will have a ball! Steyn has been atrocious of late and even when he is at his best I still don't think he has the game abilities to play 10, he just doesn't read the game like a flyhalf should. He's a terrific athlete but he's not got the brain of a flyhalf (I mean that in a nice way) and they should only put him there as a last resort!

But from my point of view, terrific!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    About bloody time!!

..thats all..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Steyn at 10? God Giteau will have a ball! Steyn has been atrocious of late and even when he is at his best I still don't think he has the game abilities to play 10, he just doesn't read the game like a flyhalf should. He's a terrific athlete but he's not got the brain of a flyhalf (I mean that in a nice way) and they should only put him there as a last resort!

But from my point of view, terrific!
    i agree Steyn at 10 is a plus for the Force... They're flying in a player but that will likely be a bench player...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast