Bret Harris | June 05, 2009

Article from: The Australian

LUKE McAlister's match-up with Matt Giteau at five-eighth in the Barbarians-Wallabies game at the Sydney Football Stadium tomorrow night could be a dress rehearsal for the Bledisloe Cup.

With Dan Carter unavailable for the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe Cup, Stephen Donald is expected to partner his Chiefs teammate Brendon Leonard in the All Blacks halves.

But All Blacks coach Graham Henry is planning to play McAlister at five-eighth for the Junior All Blacks as part of his preparation for his return to the New Zealand Test squad.

There was even a hint that the All Black hierarchy may have had a hand in McAlister playing five-eighth rather than his preferred inside centre position for the Barbarians.

"The All Black coaches want me to start to get into the 10 role so it will be good to get a bit of a head start on things," said McAlister, who is returning to New Zealand after playing club rugby in the UK for three seasons.

"I don't know if there is an opening there. Stephen Donald is playing really well. I'll just do my bit and whatever happens, happens."

McAlister said he was looking forward to playing against Giteau, whom he has marked many times at inside centre.

"It's good to get back and play guys who are the best in the world," McAlister said. "It's a bit different up north.

"To be able to play high-quality players like them is always a challenge and something that, as a player, you are always looking forward to doing.

"He (Giteau) is a class player. You've seen it through Super 14 this year. He is one of the standouts in the Australian squad. We have to try to stop him. He's probably their go-to man. Him and Stirling (Mortlock)."
But McAlister admitted he was nervous about the chief playmaking role.
"They are both pretty different position-wise," McAlister said.

"I'm pretty nervous to be honest. I haven't played much ten. I played a few games up there, but ten is a whole new ball game. A whole different level.

"You are the boss. You've got to lead the team around. Hopefully, I can do my best."

McAlister said there was more pressure on the Wallabies to win than the Barbarians.

"We have a pretty laidback attitude towards the game," McAlister said. "We are going to play the Barbarians style and throw the ball around and have a bit of fun.
"There's no real pressure on us to win or lose, but we obviously want to win. I think there will be more pressure on Australia media-wise and that sort of thing. We are just going to go out and have fun and enjoy ourselves."

Meanwhile, former All Blacks second-rower Chris Jack said Wallabies coach Robbie Deans had instilled greater pride in the Australian team.

Jack, who played under Deans at the Crusaders, said: "The game I played (for the Barbarians) against them at Wembley I think he's just toughened them up. Put a lot more expectation on their defence and a lot more pressure on their performance.

"They seemed a lot prouder. I'm not saying they weren't proud before, but he put a lot more pressure on them to perform and to be proud of their performances."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html