Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | June 29, 2009

Australia 22 France 6

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans is hoping his team confronts the All Blacks' big two of Richie McCaw and Daniel Carter during the Tri Nations, but is unlikely to have the formidable Rocky Elsom to quell them in the early part of the tournament.

Deans will name his Tri Nations squad on Thursday and although Elsom is expected to be among the 30-man list, there is uncertainty when he will be available because of bone bruising in his knee. There are concerns that the matchwinning back-rower, who has returned to the Wallabies following a year playing in Ireland, may not play again for several more months.

In Elsom's favour is that this year's Tri Nations is staggered - Australia's first two matches will be played over a six-week period. However, it appears highly likely that Elsom will miss both the All Blacks Test in Auckland on July 18 and the Springboks in Cape Town on August 8. He may not return until the Sydney Test against New Zealand on August 22.

"Rocky is not progressing the way he would like, nor we would like," Deans said yesterday. "It's a time thing. It's a matter of when. It's proving more frustrating than all parties would like. We have two games in about a month and a half. So I would like to think he would be good to go by the end of that."

Deans was buoyant following the Wallabies' gritty 22-6 win over France at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night, confident that over the past month the team has shown the attributes to be a threat in the Tri Nations.

With All Black rugby in a state of flux, after unconvincing performances against France and Italy, and doubts over when their main playmaker Carter will return from a serious Achilles injury, the return of the Bledisloe Cup to Australia after seven years is a distinct possibility. McCaw is expected to return for the Auckland Test next month for a head-on encounter with George Smith, who will play his 100th Test for the Wallabies at Eden Park. Carter's return is far more distant, with the common consensus being that he will miss the entire Tri Nations. But Deans believes it is imperative that the Wallabies eventually confront a full-strength All Blacks outfit.

"It would be great to play the All Blacks with those blokes there," Deans said. "Players love to play the best. I'd imagine that Richie will return pretty soon and I'm sure we will see Dan before the Tri Nations is out, which will be great for rugby."
The Wallabies also have to start believing that they can win overseas, especially in New Zealand, where they haven't been victorious since 2001. This year, Australia head to New Zealand twice. The Auckland international will be followed by a Test in Wellington on September 19.

"We go into the deep end, which will be a good focal point for us," Deans said. "We came up well short there last year and I would envisage that the All Blacks will present themselves in exactly the same way. The key thing is to present yourself well and we didn't do that last year."

Deans also provided winger Lote Tuqiri, who is currently restricted to the Sydney club ranks, some hope yesterday. When asked about Tim Horan's comments that Tuqiri should at least be on the Wallabies reserves bench because of his ability to break the advantage line, Deans said: "Size does matter, and without a doubt one of Lote's assets is his presence.

"He is strong and he does intimidate. Standing opposite him, I'd imagine it would be a daunting experience. He's working hard and you can see that in his games. He has been working hard in the week, as well as in matches. I've indicated to him he will get an opportunity, with the caveat that he continues to work at what he's doing."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...127430453.html