Thread: Wallabies plan to exploit All Blacks' confusions

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies plan to exploit All Blacks' confusions

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Corespondent | July 13, 2009

THE Wallabies are hoping to take advantage of the All Blacks being in a state of confusion over who will be their chief playmaker in the opening Bledisloe Cup match at Eden Park on Saturday night.

With Daniel Carter and Stephen Donald sidelined, it was assumed Luke McAlister would be named tomorrow as the All Blacks' five-eighth, but that is uncertain as he hasn't trained for more than a week because of a back spasm.

This has led to the All Blacks calling in Crusaders pivot Stephen Brett, while even halfback Piri Weepu has been used as the five-eighth at recent New Zealand training sessions in Wellington. To add to the mystery, McAlister was not among a group of All Blacks players who were involved in club games on Saturday.

While the All Blacks, due to the magnitude of the match, are most likely to gamble with McAlister, the Wallabies, who return to camp in Sydney this morning before heading to Auckland on Wednesday, are bracing themselves for any one of three pivots.

In contrast, the Wallabies are settled in that area, with Matt Giteau at five-eighth and Berrick Barnes at inside centre acting as the two main playmakers.

Barnes said it didn't really matter who they confronted at Eden Park, the power of the All Black jersey will ensure that they are up against a quality playmaker.

Barnes has confronted McAlister on numerous occasions and explained: "He's an incredibly dangerous player and he brings a lot to a side in terms of physicality.
    "He also steps well off both feet, while his kicking game is good," he said.

While Brett does not have the presence of the other five-eighths, being regarded by many New Zealand observers as vulnerable under pressure, Barnes said his great asset was that through his Crusaders connections he understood how the Wallabies coach Robbie Deans approached a game.

"He [Brett] knows Robbie's structures and is a guy who brings a lot of flair. He can create a lot of things out of nothing. He almost led them to a Super 14 final, so he's got the pedigree," Barnes said.

The Queensland Red utility also emphasised that the Wallabies squad knew exactly what they will confront when they attempt to be the first Australian team to win at Eden Park in 23 years. He added that the horrid memories of last year's 39-10 loss in Auckland still lingered.

"We have a year's experience behind us, but we are under no illusions about what's coming up,' Barnes said. "And we don't want to be caught with our pants down, as we were last year in Auckland. That's what our preparation has been all about. We won't be going over there underprepared. We're going to use last year as a positive. We know what we're in for. Last year we went in a bit blind."

The challenge has also become harder with All Blacks captain and openside flanker Richie McCaw proving his fitness on Saturday when he played 42 minutes for his club side, Christchurch, in front of All Blacks assistant coach Steve Hansen.
    McCaw has been sidelined since the Super 14 semi-finals, but after the club appearance said that his damaged knee ligaments felt "really, really good. I really enjoyed the run. The knee was OK but the lungs were feeling it. It was good to have a hit-out before next weekend. I was a bit rusty.

"The first time I got the ball I think I lost it, which was a wake-up call," he said.
    "A bit of contact, I got the ball in hand a wee bit, made a few tackles. That was what I was after. I … lacked a little bit of zip, but it wasn't too bad."
    When asked to comment on the Lote Tuqiri affair, McCaw said it would not affect the Wallabies' performance or preparation.

"I wouldn't think so. They are a pretty professional outfit, so come Saturday they won't be worried about that."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...337026274.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    On current form, they may be best served by Weepu I think.
    Hopefully they go for McAlister and he has another shocker.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.