Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Named for Bledisloe Cup Clash

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Named for Bledisloe Cup Clash

The addition of Lachie Turner in place of the injured Drew Mitchell is the only change to the Qantas Wallabies run on side that has been announced for Saturday night’s third Bledisloe Cup Test in Sydney.

Turner, who will feature in his 12th Test but figures for the first time in 2010, comes in after his state colleague Mitchell was ruled out due to a small hamstring tear that was sustained while scoring a try during last weekend’s thrilling 41-39 win over South Africa in Bloemfontein.

Turner played the most recent of his 11 Tests against New Zealand in Wellington last year, but was added to Australia’s touring party for the just completed two-Test trip to South Africa.

The NSW Waratahs winger, who played three Tests against the All Blacks in 2009, was recently named in the Australian Sevens squad to attend next month’s Commonwealth Games Sevens tournament in New Delhi, India.

The Wallabies playing roster named today features a further alteration on the bench, with Brumbies hooker Huia Edmonds taking over from the suspended Saia Faingaa.

The New Zealand-born Edmonds made his Test debut earlier in the year against Fiji, and then appeared from the bench during the two Tests against England in June.

Edmonds is one of three Wallabies players named today who will be appearing against the All Blacks for the first time.

The others are flyhalf Quade Cooper and No 8 Ben McCalman.

While the Bundaberg Red Tri Nations Series has already been decided in New Zealand’s favour, Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says Saturday night’s final match offers his side the opportunity to push on from last weekend’s historic success in South Africa.

“We can’t afford to continue to live in that moment,” Deans says.

“While the players are aware of the history that was associated with that performance, they are also aware of the significance of playing the All Blacks and the opportunity that they have in front of them this weekend.

“Hopefully we’ll have a big crowd down at the stadium to get in behind them.”

Australia’s class of ’10 is chasing its third win of this year’s Tri Nations Series.

Should it succeed, the current team would sit alongside its predecessors of 2000 and 2008 which are so far the only two Australian outfits to have won three times during a single Tri Nations championship.

Australia’s most recent success against New Zealand was achieved at ANZ Stadium two years ago when the Wallabies prevailed 34-19.

Last year, a late penalty goal enabled New Zealand to win the corresponding match 19-18.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play New Zealand in the Bundaberg Rum Tri Nations Series and Bledisloe Cup at ANZ Stadium, Sydney on Saturday 11 September, 8pm kick off (AEST), is:

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
    14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
    13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
    12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
    11. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)
    10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
    7. David Pocock (Western Force)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    4. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
    3. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
    2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
    1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:

16. Huia Edmonds (Brumbies)
    17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
    18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
    19. Richard Brown (Western Force)
    20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
    22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

Australia v New Zealand @ Sydney – Historical Notes

• This is the 163rd match of a trans-Tasman rivalry that dates back to 1903 when New Zealand won the inaugural meeting 22-3 in Sydney.
    • This tally includes the 24 matches played between 1920 and 1928 when NSW represented Australia.
    • Of the 162 games played between the two nations, New Zealand has won 112 and Australia 45, with five draws – the most recent of which occurred 20 years ago, 19-19 in 1988.
    • This is the 51st trans-Tasman Test to be hosted in Sydney. New Zealand has prevailed on 30 occasions, and Australia 18, while two others were drawn.
    • The inaugural Test between the two nations at ANZ Stadium was held in 1999, when Australia scored a 28-7 victory.
    • Last year’s 19-18 win by New Zealand was the All Blacks’ fourth success at the ground in Bledisloe Cup Tests. Australia has won five of these games at ANZ Stadium and also won the 2003 Rugby World Cup semi-final between the two teams which was held at the venue. The Bledisloe Cup was not at stake in that match.
    • Saturday night represents the 28th Test match to have been played by the Qantas Wallabies at the Olympic Stadium since rugby union debuted at the ground when Australia beat England 22-15 in 1999.
    • Australia’s return from Tests at Homebush Bay currently stands at 21 wins and six defeats with England (2003 Rugby World Cup final & earlier this year) and New Zealand (2000, 2003, 2005 & 2009) the only visiting sides to have prevailed at the venue.
    • The Bledisloe Cup was donated by the then Governor General of New Zealand, Lord Bledisloe, for competition between the two countries in 1931.
    • Australia won the trophy for the first time in 1934, beating New Zealand 25-11 in Sydney.
    • The 21-point winning margin the Wallabies achieved in the inaugural Bledisloe Cup Test at ANZ Stadium in 1999 was a record Australian win over New Zealand, while the 34 points scored during the most recent win in 2008 was Australia’s highest ever winning score over the All Blacks.
    • Matt Giteau was the only Australian player to score points from the Qantas Wallabies’ two Test appearances at ANZ Stadium last year, scoring 22 against France and 18 against New Zealand.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Bring it on Home...!! You can do this you lovely people...!!!

vCash
    Australia has an 14-6 lead over the All Blacks at halftime in their Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations rugby international in Sydney.

The Wallabies have scored the only try of the half through winger James O'Connor after a strong bust by No 8 Ben McCalman.

The All Blacks have created several scoring chances but fluffed them through poor handling.

Other points in the half have come from penalty goals by Matt Giteau (three) and Piri Weepu (two).

The All Blacks could have been in a far worse position but Giteau has missed several kicks at goal and a try was ruled out by the television match official.

vCash
    When I watch the Wallabies, sometimes, I'm just like, "Wow!", and then I'm like, "Whoa", and then I'm like, "Damn..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    When I watch the Wallabies, sometimes, I'm just like, "Wow!", and then I'm like, "Whoa", and then I'm like, "Damn..."
    Are you a blond?

Or should I say - were you...

vCash
    What's left of my luscious raven locks are getting more "platinum blonde" by the day

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    sometimes I just say F**K

vCash
    Our team of 20yo's took it to the All Blacks. Good effort from everyone, just slack defense in the last 20 minutes let us down. We keep getting better by the game, while NZ are improving much slower. Anyway, they were the better team for 80mins, i'm looking forward to the next game though.

vCash
    We need a decent set of tight forwards - we sure as hell don't have one. Pocock's brilliant but doesn't have the proper support. Lachie Turner was gold - my MOM. Drew's just lost his spot, no wonder he was so anxious in that little commentary box. McCalmum was a cracker. Nonu's going to miss the odd game or 2.

Quade tackles like a very old, arthritic lady.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    JOC should be concerned as well. Got caught out of position again with the mccaw try. He might struggle to hold a spot in the 22 next year if all the backs are fit.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I thought JOC did some great stuff out wide and actually got committed in the rucks and didn't just involved.

(refer Bacon and Eggs for definition of involved and committed)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't think the Wallabies deserved it. There was the obvious inability to take the points with the boot but really, how many goes before one of the three other kickers has a go? Failing that, go to the line.

But for mine the turning point was through the fifties, where suddenly it became about field position. Five players back, but still the ball went into touch. The commentators may be right and the Wallabies "won" that particular battle, but it was also when they lost the war as they struggled to get the ball back from then on. That, and those wanky out-the-back-of-the-hand passes that look so clever when they work but throw away possession cheaply the other times. It will be interesting to watch them go up against a team hat actually treasures the pill, 'cos neither of those teams did much.

Still, there were a few bright spots. Nice to finally have an 8 that can/will impose at the breakdown, whilst still securing ball off the back of the scrum. Defensive lapses aside, JOC does seem to be getting the hang of outside play (not that it should be enough to save him once Ioane is available). Beale increasingly seems to have found his feet, albeit with some peculiar lapses still to iron out. The back line in general looks a bit more settled in fact, but we really, really , really need Horwill and Alexander back.

Oh, and Rocky really needs to stop talking to the ref. Everything he says seems to boomerang back onto the Wallabies, so either he is mumbling or something or needs to STFU.

vCash
    Has anyone got any good footage of the mccaw try?
    I cant tell but he looks suspiciously like he broke away from the pack before the ball was out? thoughts? Yes im grasping at straws.

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Oh, and Rocky really needs to stop talking to the ref. Everything he says seems to boomerang back onto the Wallabies, so either he is mumbling or something or needs to STFU.
    I think when he questioned the ref about the AB's killing the ball everytime we were inside their 22 was a fair question to ask. The ref was all smiles when communicating with richie and the AB's but was very distant to the aussies. I was a bit miffed how he had pinged Pocock a couple times early for not releasing but allowed many of the AB's to tackle and cling on for dear life. Conrad smith was a regular culprit of this and has been all tri nations.

---------- Post added at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

While we're at it we might as well have Elsom fulltime on the wing and bring in higgenbotham or Browny at 6. :p

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Having been fortunate enough to watch the game live. I would like to share my thoughts of the game.

First up a big thanks to BlackSwan for allowing me and the ZoeMonster for attending. Seats were in between halfway and the 10. Above the private boxes.

I thought that Rocky as a Captain showed how out of depth he is.
    Giteau should have been replaced as kicker by Rocky prior to the half time break.
    Nathan Sharpe did some great work around the field.
    As Did Ben McCalman.
    I think there were over 70,000 spectators that thought the Referee had a shocker and at one stage was being so anally retentive that whilst running he would have squeaked.
    What was Rocky doing bludging out on the wing 25 minutes in to the first half?
    Lockie Turner had a fantastic game.
    As did David Pocock
    Wallabies are in desperate need of an on field leader.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Wallabies are in desperate need of an on field leader.
    Like Nathan Sharpe for instance?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast