Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sneak Peek: England vs France

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Sneak Peek: England vs France

This game could be anything. The English could finally put in the kind of dazzling display they are capable of and smash the French into oblivion. The French, with their backs firmly against the wall, could come out with a snarl and show some of that Gallic fire that they are so famous for, which has been absent in the tournament thus far. Or the most likely event: A dull and uninspiring kick-a-thon between two teams trying to play as little rugby as possible and won by less than 6 points either way ( with the losing team’s loss probably blamed on the referee). A vBookie conundrum! Who is going to win? By how much? And will it even be worth watching? Let’s see...

The Form Guide
    England and France have played almost 100 test matches together and England enjoys a slender lead with a 54% win record. The last 10 years of Six Nations have been fairly even in the spoils with 5 games apiece. England have, however, won 4 out of the last 5 and will take a lot of heart from their record in RWC games against France. France have won just one of their previous World Cup face-offs and that was all the way back in 1995 in the third place play off. England on the other hand have enjoyed wins over the French in the 2007 and 2003 semi-finals as well as the 1991 quarter final. In fact, England have gone on to make the final every time they have faced France in the knock-out stages. This game could either book England a ticket home or a ticket to the final.

Both teams will be pretty pleased with how the draw has worked out for them as they have probably been the most out of form teams in the competition thus far. England have been just plain awful and have struggled to make it out of their group (albeit at the top) with narrow wins over Argentina (13-9) and Scotland (16-12) added to their unimpressive wins over Georgia and Romania. To the credit, at least they have been able to squeeze the close ones and show their steel in the final 10 minutes. The team seems to be a bit of a confused mixture of the England of old and the new vibrant attacking England. Factor in the off field dramas of wenching, dwarf throwing and abusing women and it is starting to bring shame on some of the dyed in the wool English fans.

France are having their fair share of problems but at least these problems have been rugby-centric. Marc Lievremont has coached his side to losses against New Zealand and Tonga and the team failed to impress against lowly Japan. There are rumours of big rifts between the coach and his players and this has seen a fair bit of venting in his media interviews. France should count themselves lucky they are still in the tournament and buy the Canadian team, who beat Tonga earlier in the competition, a few rounds the next time they meet up. So to summarise: Poor form, under fire from the media, coach-player feuding, an embarrassing loss to Tonga and a lame duck head coach. A perfect environment for a famous French boilover.

The Stars So Far
    Ha. Hahahahahhahaha. Not too much to say here. No that’s not fair. There have been a couple of stand outs. For England Manu Tuialagi has been brilliant with bone crunching tackles and powerful running. He is one of the few English backs who looks any good. Most of the forwards have failed to really show their potential. Tom Croft has been excellent, but then again he could be a lot better. The player who has impressed me most for England, however, has been Toby Flood. Flood has been playing second fiddle to Jonny Wilkinson all tournament. God knows why as Wilkinson’s place kicking has been abominable. It is no surprise that England has taken control of matches in the final 15 minutes, which is usually when Flood takes the field. Get the hint Johnno.

As hard as that is for England, France are probably even harder. I can’t say I’ve watched enough of the French to really comment. But which French players can actually say they are pleased with their performances thus far? Lievremont has been mixing his team selections up so much it has hardly given anyone a chance to shine. Vincent Clerc at least has shown his finishing skills once again with 5 tries so far. He is bettered in the try-scoring stages only by England’s Chris Ashton (may God smite him).

What It Will Come Down To
    In a word: Passion. Sure that is a given for most matches but it is particularly pertinent given the lack of passion displayed by the two teams thus far. Now maybe it’s not just the passion. Maybe it’s the coaching. Either way, these teams aren’t playing half as well as they can and should. But passion should be enough at least to get one over on Tonga!

So who is going to show up? Two passionate teams fired up for a rugby slugfest? One passionate team and one floundering team? Or, as it was in the 2007 semi final, two teams trying their hardest not to play rugby? In the case of the former and the latter there won’t be too much separating these two teams. France arguably have more to prove and have the bonus of a far better goal kicking record thus far. Each point will count.

The Prediction
    France have been playing too badly not to win this one. You don’t lose to Tonga without bouncing back with an epic performance. England have had let off after let off and probably haven’t learnt from any of it. France will come out all guns blazing, and by the time England recover, it will be too late. France by 12.

Teams
    TBA

Who would you choose if you could take one French player and one English player and have them play for the ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    sadly..........England by 10

france have been evil smelling shite

Controversy corner

Senior Player
    vCash
    agree with Rex. Hopefully Wales (or Ireland) will knock them out next round.

vCash
    Agree with James that it'll be impossible to tell which two teams will turn up. Given that France have been awful and lost while England have been awful and won, I'll go with England, but in an uninspiring match and probably with ~3 points in it until Harinordoquy does something stupid like hurt Wilkinson enough for him to get substituted. Then England could run riot.

Who would I have from the French side in the Force? None of them, really. Mas and Szarzewski are good, but not massively better than anything we've already got, and Bonnaire, Dusautoir and Harinordoquy aren't a better combination than Hodgson, Pocock and McCalman/Brownie. Their decent backs are a bit old, maybe Medard, but I don't think he's an improvement over Cummins and the new Fijian Flyer.

From the England side, they've not played that well, but I put a lot of that down to Johnson's poor tactics and Wilkinson's poor game management. They have a number of young players who could become great: Dan Cole, Courtney Lawes, Ben Youngs, Toby Flood, Chris Ashton. Given our needs, I'd say Lawes as an understudy to Sharpie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

From the England side, they've not played that well, but I put a lot of that down to Johnson's poor tactics and Wilkinson's poor game management. They have a number of young players who could become great: Dan Cole, Courtney Lawes, Ben Youngs, Toby Flood, Chris Ashton. Given our needs, I'd say Lawes as an understudy to Sharpie.
    Yeah I think they have a makings of a decent side, it all depends on MJs tactics. Tuilagi is shaping up as a world class centre. He's been great for England. Would love to have him in the Wallabies!

vCash
    Biggest England issue is Johnny. Why is he taking crash balls up and starving Tindle and Tuilangi from doing the work that they were breed for. With a back three with pace the ball has been getting bottled up in very one dimensional play. I feel that they will come good this game and roll us by 9.. we are far to messed up in the head department to get it together. It smells like the French team at the recent soccer world cup.. too much in figting and not enough playing.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I would say Lawes but he is a wanker and I'd prefer the Force to stay wanker free. I like Tom Croft but we don't exactly need backrowers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I would say Lawes but he is a wanker and I'd prefer the Force to stay wanker free. I like Tom Croft but we don't exactly need backrowers.
    I'm thinking that Sharpe grind the wanker out of him and gets down to the decent rugby player that he's shown flashes of becoming.

vCash
    France have been playing too badly not to win this one.
    A team is playing really shit which therefore means that for some unknown reason they are going to suddenly play brilliantly. Despite missing key players through suspension/injury, having an inexperienced coach who's out of his depth, having a team that is obviously not united and having lost twice in their pool games including Tonga they are going to win for no other reason than they are playing shit... What bizarre logic. I hope you never become a sports pundit!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Hahahaha. We'll just have to see I guess.

Why not put all 100,000 of your vcash on England then?

vCash
    There's a sort of logic - they're playing England and nothing gets the French united more than the chance to beat the English (except possibly the All Blacks!)

vCash
    Hahahaha. We'll just have to see I guess.

Why not put all 100,000 of your vcash on England then?
    If I knew how I would!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    A team is playing really shit which therefore means that for some unknown reason they are going to suddenly play brilliantly. Despite missing key players through suspension/injury, having an inexperienced coach who's out of his depth, having a team that is obviously not united and having lost twice in their pool games including Tonga they are going to win for no other reason than they are playing shit... What bizarre logic. I hope you never become a sports pundit!
    Actually any team OTHER than France you have a point........they're pretty much a mirror image of New Zealand, who, in World Cups, only play shit when they're playing brilliantly!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Eating words tastes better with a bit of salt.

vCash
    Eating words tastes better with a bit of salt.
    You got the score wrong, though - France only won by 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast