Thread: A Force to be reckoned with as giant moves west

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

A Force to be reckoned with as giant moves west

Josh Rakic
    February 3, 2012

Rising star Napolioni Nalaga has been compared to international rugby player Jonah Lomu. Photo: Getty Images
    NAPOLIONI NALAGA - it's Fijian for fear. And, after destroying his opposition in France and leaving players lying in his wake at the World Cup, the Fijian flyer likened to All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu is to be unleashed on Super Rugby.

Standing at 191 centimetres and tipping the scales at 109 kilograms - and with less body fat than a catwalk model - the new Western Force winger first grabbed the attention of Force coach Richard Graham in 2008 when he debuted for French side Clermont and went on to finish the season as French Top 14's leading try-scorer with 20 tries from 19 matches. The carnage he produced on the field was enough to have him awarded Player of the Year.

But the giant winger and son of former Fijian international Kavekini Nalaga was almost lost to rugby when, following a car accident involving his wife, he fell into a deep depression and was cut from Clermont's roster when he couldn't guarantee he would return to France in early 2011. He stayed by his partner and was found playing Digicel Cup in Fiji mid last year before being signed by Graham and turning out for Fiji at the World Cup.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    ''I made a lot of phone calls to people who coached at Clermont [and] to people who coached the Fijian side to find out a lot about him,'' Graham said.

''And at the end of the day he was too good not to recruit.

''I coached in France until 2009 and he came to Europe in 2008 and went to Clermont, and the thing that attracted me first and foremost was his ability to score tries. He's an amazing try-scorer.

''Secondly, he has an incredible work ethic. And thirdly, Fijian boys at the best of times are quite shy and it takes them some time to adapt to different surroundings. But for the guy to go straight from Fiji to France and set the try-scoring record that year, and back it up the next year, be named in the French Dream Team and the next year wins the premiership and scores the only try in the match - it just showed me he can adapt quickly. And he can be a really consistent supporter.''

The 25-year-old earned a reputation as a punisher in France. And Graham said he had developed a similar stature in Perth.

''There's only one Jonah Lomu,'' Graham said. ''But Napo is no slouch. He's a huge man … Clearly one of his best attributes is his size and his power but he's got some speed - definitely.''

And Super Rugby fans will get their first taste of the Fijian flyer this weekend when he turns out for the Force in their first trial against the Brumbies in Darwin. Graham said he was a certain round-one starter barring injury.

''He'll play in our trial this weekend … and expectations are in very good form come round one,'' Graham said.

''I'm looking forward to it as much as anyone.''

Meanwhile, Force recruit Jordan Rapana has been ruled out for the season after the former NRL speedster was forced to undergo a full shoulder reconstruction after injuring the joint during tackling drills last week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1lEWNru45

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Cannot wait to see him in action, saw him at training a few weeks back, he is huge. Even some of the Force players appeared to be in awe of him. Roll on 2012 Super Rugby!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the major upside of not having a "star" Flyhalf is that (hopefully) our outside Backs will be seeing more pill. With this big bugger lurking out there that can only be a good thing.
    It will be up to the Backrow to assist the inside three of probably Sheehan-Stannard-Stanley to retain the ball for 3-4 phases getting field position and tying up the opposition, then unleash the back four. Gain as much as possible, rumble it up a couple of more times with the Tight Forwards, then start again.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And let's hope we finally see an up-and-under that can a) be chased, and b) gets chased. Imagine there would be a few fullbacks quaking at the idea of receiving him and/or Cummins at the fall of the ball.

vCash
    Is it me or has cummings bulk up over the off season??

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed, McCalman is looking pretty big too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Is it me or has cummings bulk up over the off season??
    Cummings has been bulking up steadily year by year. He must be on the same programme bam is on
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    It is not often that I feel small compared to other people but when Nalaga walked passed me at the Force player for a day and I felt small.

Someone else that impressed me was Alfi Mafi. He has bulked up and looks much more mature than a season ago. Rumour has it that he is even faster than before.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Cummings has been bulking up steadily year by year. He must be on the same programme bam is on
    Posted via Mobile Device
    i think that bam has bulked down from 2 years ago, or is that just me.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Hmmmm! I hope he plays as good as he looks........ ....

Player
    vCash
    game plan - give him the ball...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jt12 View Post
    game plan - give him the ball...
    Plan B. Kick in behind for him.

Plan C. Get him to come in and run up the guts.

Plan D. Give him the ball.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David