Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scotland B team for RWC Clash

vCash

Scotland B team for RWC Clash

Former All Blacks coach Laurie Mains says he fears the rugby World Cup favourites may come unstuck through a lack of real competition in the group stages of the tournament.

Speculation by Scotland coach Frank Hadden about playing a second string side at Murrayfield "is a worry for our coach, Graham Henry," said Mains, who led New Zealand to the World Cup final in 1995 in South Africa.

"A full-strength Scotland would be a great build-up game for the All Blacks but, if every match in the pool turns out to be easy, it would be a real concern," Mains told Edinburgh's Scotsman newspaper.

Hadden sparked concern in New Zealand after hinting he could field a second-string side against the All Blacks when they met in the tournament.

He indicated one of his options was to rest some of his key players for their pool C match against New Zealand in Edinburgh on September 23 so they would be fresh for the likely make-or-break clash with Italy in Saint-Etienne six days later.

"Playing a `B' team (against the All Blacks) would be one of the options," the Scotland coach said.

But Mains said one potential problem for the All Blacks would be coming out of a string of easy games into a tough one.

"You need good, hard warm-up matches in preparation for the challenges that await in the knockout stages, and clearly they are not going to get that," he said.

"It is a difficult situation for Graham to deal with. All you can do is strive for perfection in everything you do in every game.

"But, if you are knocking up 50 or 60 points in the group matches -- which they should do -- it is very hard to find things to correct. A lot of it will be about the players keeping their focus.

"If all goes to plan, New Zealand will face France or Ireland in the quarterfinals. The opposition will throw everything at the All Blacks, and knowing they'll be playing an under-done side will ensure they believe they can win."

Hadden said it was important his players were in peak condition for the match against Italy.

"It is essential we qualify for the quarterfinals," he said.

"While the All Blacks are playing pretty much every seven days, we play Romania, then, five days later, we play New Zealand and, six days later, we play Italy," he said.

"Meanwhile, Italy, who are waiting to play us, have a 10-day break.

It depends on how we go against Portugal and Romania. We won't be making any definitive decisions at the moment, but playing a `B' team (against the All Blacks) would be one of the options.

"Maybe we'll get on a roll and fancy our chances ... but there is absolutely no doubt we have to qualify for the quarterfinals."

You would think that finnally in the World Cup you would see the very best teams the Rugby World has to offer playing each other!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe the heroic All Blacks should take their JABs to France as well and have a mid week hit out.
    Can't blame the Scots, put up their top team and get done by 30 odd, put up their second string and get rolled by 50 odd, they still lose heavily and risk key players for playing Italy.
    To think that (block your ears/eyes TEF, Jedi, Em etal) a current "full-strength Scotland would be a great (implying tough and close) build-up game for the All Blacks" is pure spin or ignorance.
    They will never lay down, no matter what 22 Scotsmen you put out there, but Scottish Rugby is currently in a terrible state and they will be glad when France is over so they can do some rebuilding.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Scottish Rugby is currently in a terrible state and they will be glad when France is over so they can do some rebuilding.
    'S all right Burgs, no offence taken. I like to think we're in a 'development phase'...?! (there's spin for you!)

I see the point Main's making, but feel it's just part of the nature of a tournament of so many sides, only a few of whom have a realistic chance of going all the way - the best teams are always going to have some easy matches, second strength teams or not.

But I also think it's poetic justice - those Australian and S African S14 teams who played NZ teams in the early half of this year's S14 competition got an easier ride while the All Blacks were out for 'conditioning'. I think it's fairer of Scotland to look after their key players a few days before a crunch match, than it was of NZ to do so almost a year out...

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    It's just a shame is all,

How is scotland going to get better if they dont play the top tier teams with their best team on the bench. You learn a lot from playing better opposition, it's crucial experience.

It just seemed strange to me that you'd be sending your week team in against the AB's and saving your strong team for Italy... I think theres a bit of differnce in what the NZRFU did and what the Scotts are planning - the NZ teams were arguably still very competitive with 2 of there teams making the finals and the chiefs really looking dangerous.

Scotland will not be competitive at all if they send there B team...

vCash
    You got to remember its a RWC game, and everyone aims to perform as best as possible but also to aim up and take your chances on the games you can win, hence resting players v ABs and going all out v Italy. RWC is every 4 years and Scotland will get a chance to play v the ABs in the years between cups.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Ya just gotta feel sorry for those poor Blacks. I mean the hide of the Scots! Wanting to rest their best players for more crucial RWC matches!

Those considerate, selfless Kiwi selectors reconditioned their squad just so's they'd be at their prime to play RWC. Now, when they're ready to fire all their ammo they are maybe only gonna get second string oppo. Just not on.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Scotland will not be competitive at all if they send there B team...
    I understand what you are saying but with the current state of Scottish rugby it is more important to make a bid for the quarter finals even if that means forfitting any sort of chance against the All Blacks. Scotland need to demonstrate to it's supporters that we are still in with a shout and to do this we need a QF berth. If the trend in Scottish rugby continues then we will not have any Scottish rugby to speak of in the near future. A spot in the last eight is a sure fire way to regain some of the lost supporters and potentially get Scottish rugby back on it's feet.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So by their own standards then we should expect the AB's to be at full strength against Romania and Portugal rather than using the full squad and resting players for their crucial fixtures?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    'Resting' key players during a world cup is nothing new, after all the Aussie cricket team have turned it into an art.

I would be inclined to agree with the Scots, they need to be realistic about their goals and do what they can with what they have got. No point in screwing up your chances by having key players steam-rolled by the All Blacks.

Perhaps it is the inherent dilemma in the current structure of the world cup, where you have all teams playing with such a disparity of skill level and competitiveness.

Perhaps a two tied compeition would be more productive?

vCash
    Sure look definately the NZRFU rested players - but the teams were still competitive - I think the big difference is depth. I can understand that the Scotts have written the game off as a loss no matter who they send out and that the Itlay game is a do or die.

I guess I didn't realise that Scottish Rugby was in such a dire state that thye didn't have the depth to face Italy - I didn't see any of the six nations so it's a little hard.

I was just kind of keen to see some decent rugby, with so many second string International teams touring it's just ordinary. Im against the world cup be divided into two different levels to be honest I really think the smaller countries get a huge sense of achievement in facing the top teams and learn a lot.

Half the Romanian team got arrested celerbrating the fact that they were going to face the allblacks - they are not going to win the cup! But its an opportunity to play against and learn from better teams on the world stage.

When else are these smaller teams going to get a chance?

vCash
    When else are these smaller teams going to get a chance?
    Its a small thing called the Rugby World Cup.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Its a small thing called the Rugby World Cup.
    Thats why I dont like the idea of a two tiered World Cup format that has been suggested, its pretty much the only opportunity. Especially with the two differnt seasons affecting teams like Samoa, Fiji, and Argentina.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

I guess I didn't realise that Scottish Rugby was in such a dire state that thye didn't have the depth to face Italy - I didn't see any of the six nations so it's a little hard.
    It's not so much the lack of depth that is the issue, although that is a problem, it's lack of supporters because we have been in doldrums for so long. In the past we have given the ABs a good run for their money on occasions and I believe we get a lot of respect from the ABs and I hope that this decision does not spoil that. We need cash and the way to get that is by increasing the support hence the need to get into the finals at all costs.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    It's not so much the lack of depth that is the issue, although that is a problem, it's lack of supporters because...
    .....there all here in bloody WA

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    .....there all here in bloody WA
    Kiwi's or Scotts?

Yeah fair enough I just thougth the Scotts wouldn't have had a huge amount of trouble with Italy but im sure behind the sensationalised media statements and spin Doc's there will be a lot of sympathy for the Scott's plight in NZ (especially in the South Island).

Every nation goes through a troubled patch. Wales was struggling for a long time but will be very dangerous come the RWC.

I just dont know if copping an absolute hiding on the world stage on your home ground against the AB's to save players for Italy is going to be Scotlands way out of a hole.

Surely it's got to start at domestic grass roots level - win or lose I always enjoed watching Scotalnd play the southern hemisphere teams - best of luck to them in September

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast