Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallaby Team to Play the Boks

vCash

Unhappy Wallaby Team to Play the Boks

Qantas Wallabies Coach John Connolly has today announced his team to take on South Africa in the opening Tri Nations and Nelson Mandela Challenge Plate clash in Cape Town this Saturday (June 16, 11.00pm AEST kick off).

Connolly has opted for his most experienced backline combination and has selected a near full strength lineup as the Wallabies look to end a six-year drought in South Africa.

Veteran halves pairing George Gregan and Stephen Larkham will play their final Tests on South African soil, while Matt Giteau returns to his customary role of inside centre alongside captain Stirling Mortlock in the midfield.

The Wallabies have played seven Tests since the star four last appeared in typical formation, with their most recent outing as a midfield unit occurring in Johannesburg for the final Tri Nations Test against the Springboks last year.

Lote Tuqiri and Drew Mitchell retain their places on the wing, following Tuqiri’s triumphant return to the Test arena in a two-try performance against Fiji in Perth last weekend.

In the forward pack, Connolly will look to veteran lock pairing Nathan Sharpe and Dan Vickerman to counter the powerful Springboks lineout.

Sharpe and Vickerman started all six Tri Nations matches for the Wallabies in 2006, but have played together in just one of the Wallabies three Tests this season, against Wales in Brisbane just over a fortnight ago.

In the front row Guy Shepherdson will start at tighthead prop, while Matt Dunning retains his place at loosehead prop with Stephen Moore getting the nod at hooker.

George Smith has once again been rotated into the starting team and will wear the Number 7 jersey and vice captain the side on Saturday while Phil Waugh joins the reserves bench.

Waratahs teammates Rocky Elsom and Wycliff Palu return to their starting positions at blindside flanker and Number 8 respectively, after resting from last week’s clash with Fiji to get an early start on their preparation for the opening Tri Nations clash.

Connolly said the Wallabies face their toughest match of the year against the Springboks on Saturday.

“South African Rugby is in a pretty good space at the moment, probably in the best shape it’s been for some time,” said Connolly.

“The Springboks are brimming with confidence after the success of their Super 14 teams and their Test wins over England and will be an enormous challenge for us,” he said.

Connolly said his team was not focused on its poor recent record in the republic.

“We’re definitely not looking at the past or the reasons why we haven’t been successful here. We’re very much focused on this Test and continuing to build on our performances in Australia,” said Connolly.

“I think we’re in for an extremely competitive Tri Nations between three strong teams.”

QANTAS WALLABIES v SOUTH AFRICA

Saturday 16 June 2007

Newlands Stadium, Cape Town, South Africa

Kick off: 3.00pm local, 11.00pm AEST
    Qantas Wallabies

1. Matt Dunning
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Guy Shepherdson
    4. Nathan Sharpe
    5. Dan Vickerman
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith (vc)
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. George Gregan
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
    14. Drew Mitchell
    15. Julian Huxley

16. Adam Freier
    17. Al Baxter
    18. Mark Chisholm
    19. Stephen Hoiles
    20. Phil Waugh (vc)
    21. Adam Ashley-Cooper
    22. Mark Gerrard

Members of the 25-man touring squad not selected in the match 22: Sam Cordingley, Benn Robinson, Scott Staniforth.

Match notes
    * Australia is the current holder of the Nelson Mandela Challenge Plate after winning two of the three Tests between the two Nations in 2006.
    * Last meeting: South Africa 24 Australia 16, Ellis Park, Johannesburg (9/9/2006).
    * Overall: Played 63, South Africa 39, Australia 23, Drawn 1.
    * Last meeting at Newlands Stadium: South Africa 26 Australia 22 (2003).
    * Australia has not defeated South Africa in South Africa since 2000 (19-18, Kings Park, Durban).
    * Australia has not defeated South Africa in Cape Town since 1992 (26-3, Newlands Stadium).

Tri Nations notes

* Australia last won the Tri Nations in 2001.
    * New Zealand has owned the Tri Nations title for the last two years (2005, 2006).
    * The trophy has been won seven times by New Zealand and twice each by Australia and South Africa.
    * New Zealand won the inaugural Tri Nations title in 1996.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Why sad? Certainly not the worst squad they could field with who's available.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I still prefer Phil Waugh to start and then give George Smith 20 to 25 minutes to go berko at the end.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Not the worst squad they could field - however I still reckon the Wallabies could have a stronger starting team.

Saw an interview with Vickerman and he reckoned if they made no mistakes then they could win - reckon he's right - however there is still a lot of balls being dropped out there - Stephen Moore needs to improve in confidence to throw in straight - should be an instresting match hope I'm wrong

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    LOOKS GREAT they have a great chance.

the only thing i would change is that front row. dunning isnt as good as baxter and freier is better then moore. it might be better off though to finnish off with those guys it might be a plan. Why is staniforth out i cant believe it. he is way better then ashley cooper.

my guess is that larkham will step up and take australia to victory.

vCash
    I thought Staniforth was good in the previous test. He should have gotten the spot rather than Ashley-Cooper. Reckon Fairbanks had a killer of a game against Japan in Australia A. Should definitely be given a look at. And so should Cross. And definitely Pocock, i'm a massive fan.

But overall, it looks like a really promising team. Should be a good match this saturday!

vCash
    I've said it once, i've said it a million times, baxter and dunning are not world class props, and moore is a joke( first time i have said that)....
    Good to see shepardson back up forward, and grudgingly frier has been the better performing hooker, but by no means as good as Paul or Mcisaac imho...
    Also great to see the backline finally looking like a competitive unit...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Get with the times FR, McIssac and Paul are too old. If they played they would be in danger of having a limb drop off. The Wallatahs are the way of the future.
    That is all.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Who cares how old they are...this team should not be built for the future. Only thing they should care about now is winning the World Cup. Then drop the old baggage and look to the future.

vCash
    McIsaac has the extra string in his bow of being able to cover loosehead if needed too. But I'm OK with the team except for Spanner missing out. He's a bit more versatile than A-C as he can cover 11-14. Maybe A-C could in a pinch but he didn't look comfortable at 12 and I can't remember him playing on a wing. Kearns said on TV last night that Spanna is very underrated and I agree with him for a change.

I'll also give the new improved Dunning another chance. I don't understand the intricacies of the front three but I've been convinced by the many references from TV 'experts' to his ability to handle Carl Hayman. And that gorilla is the benchmark.

vCash
    Too old too slow. McIssac borrows Pauls zimmer frame to get through training. He should go back to water polo, less strain on the old body. Freier and TPN are the way forward.
    Case closed.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Spanner missing out. He's a bit more versatile than A-C as he can cover 11-14.
    I think he's had a knock as fullback sometime in the past also...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Geez Chook, If you look closely i gave begrudging approval to frier as the new breed of hooker, but as Gustafl says, win the cup first then cull the elder statesmen so as JP is the no.1 hooker in the country we should be using him( and as shasta points out mcisaac can play prop as well)...Moore is not up to standard as far as i am concerned...(Wallatahs, i like it, seems appropriate)...Dunning is still crap in my book( hope he proves me wrong), as is Baxter...Nothing is gonna change my opinion except a total reversal of previous form and ability...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Should I put your disclaimer up again yet Chook

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah, you are on to something there Burgs. I may need to put it in my Signature. How did it go again?

Gigsa made me do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast