Thread: Georgia v Russia, European Nations Cup Final

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Georgia v Russia, European Nations Cup Final

Tell me these lads wouldn't prefer a truly international season, say March-November worldwide...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHlMIhuUt-I[/YOUTUBE]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I hope Georgia won, because

"There's only one Georgia, there's only one Georgia, wakling along, singing a song, walking in a Georgian wonderland"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    like you can remember singing that song at Subi TIF ... you went awol !!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Thanks TIF, got that one stuck in my head now... except in my head it's "There's only one Dizzy Gillespie.." grrrr

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Sorry TIF, should have included it...

Georgia will be the champions
    Sat, 12 Apr 2008

Georgia beat Russia in a European Nations Cup, Division 1, match in cold Krasnoyarsk on Saturday to make virtually sure of winning the championship.

Siberia was as cold as it notoriously is. The match was delayed for 40 minutes while the snow was cleared. The lines on the field were marked in red.

Victory means that Georgia will win the Six Nations B which was played home and away over two years. Georgia have Spain to play, Russia the Czech Republic.

The present standings with matches played, points and points' difference is as follows:

1 Georgia 9; 25; 176
    2 Russia 9; 23; 119
    3 Romania 10; 22; 133
    4 Portugal 9; 15; -18
    5 Spain 8; 14; -9
    6 Czech Republic 9; 9; -401

There were just two tries in the match, both by Georgia, one in each half. At half-time the Lelos led 10-6.

Georgia scored first when Rati Urushadze reached out in a tackle and scored under the posts. Otar Barkalaia converted. 7-0 after 8 minutes. Barkalaia then added a penalty from a tackle infringement. 10-0 after 20 minutes.

Yuri Kushnariov, who had missed an earlier kick at goal, goaled a penalty on 23 minutes and then again on 37 minutes after a big brawl that ended with flanks George Chkhaidze and Andrei Ostrikov in the sin bin.

Barkalaia and Kushnariov traded penalties. 13-9 after 58 minutes. Kushnariov added a fourth to make the score 13-12 with 12 minutes to play.

There were just seven minutes left when David Katcharava scored the final try of the match.

Scorers:

For Georgia:
    Tries: Urushadze, Katcharava
    Con: Barkalaia
    Pens: Barkalaia 2

For Russia:
    Pens: Kushnariov 4

Teams:

Georgia: 15 Otar Barkalaia, 14 Sandro Todua, 13 David Katcharava, 12 Rezo Guigauri, 11 Irakli Chkhikvadze, 10 Lasha Malaghuradze, 9 Irakli Abusseridze (captain), 8 Dimitri Bassilaia, 7 Rati Urushadze, 6 George Chkhaidze, 5 Mamuka Gorgodze, 4 Kakhaber Uchav, 3 David Kubriashvili, 2 Irakli Natriashvili, 1 Goderdzi Shvelidze
    Replacements: 16 Simon Maissuradze, 17 David Dadunashvili, 18 George Nemsadze, 19 Shalva Sutiashvili, 20 Bidzina Samkharadze, 21 Merab Kvirikashvili, 22 George Shkinini

Russia: 15 Igor Kliuchnikov, 14 Andrei Kuzin (captain), 11 Alex Gvozdovski, 13 Igor Galinovski, 12 Victor Gresev, 10 Iuri Kushnariov, 9 Alex Shakirov, 8 Alex Panasenko, 7 Andrei Garbuzov, 6 Andrei Ostrikov, 5 Cyril Kuliomin, 4 Valeri Fedchenko, 3 Alex Chernishov, 2 Vladislav Korshunov, 1 Alex Khrokin
    Replacements: 16 Vladimir Marchenko, 17 Vladimir Botvinnikov, 18 Eugene Matveev, 19 Viacheslav Grachov, 20 Victor Motorin, 21 Mikhail Babaev, 22 Serguei Trishin

Referee: Franck Maciello (France)

http://www.rugby365.com/all_news/nbc...ews/665912.htm

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Awsome result for Georgia, it seems they have really advanced in the home competitions since RWC 2003. Well done Lelos

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I still reckon they should have pulled Argentina in to the 6N and then played promotion/relegation with the ENC. As a minimum, it would be nice to see how the top NH teams would cope in those conditions and it might make for a more rational discussion regarding what is best for the growth of the sport as a whole.

vCash
    This European Nations seems to be a good competition, judging on Georgia and Romania's perfomances at the last World Cup. A crowd of 10 000 at a Spain v Portugal game is pretty good too.