Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

vCash
    near the fence? I was in the middle of that 'family block' with my brother to the right of 3 big Maori blokes who during the pre-game match kept yelling at number 11 to go for it. I also had my Force scarf on!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    There's nothing better than listening to grown men clash! What a different feeling when your sitting so close to the action, just like the Spirit games. I just cant wait for the day when my FORCE gold seat is in prime position and the big men are going for it! Oh bring it on. It makes you jealous knowing League are playing on a real field,I love both codes and I will support both.

The backs are just there to look pretty

vCash
    It was an entertaining match. Sio, no 18 for the reds, played for Margaret River last year.
    When he hits it hurts.

Player
    vCash
    if you want any info on the reds head too this forum

about 2000-2200 people at the game, i agree score board was pretty lame, was great to be able to see the game *cough subi cough*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post
    about 2000-2200 people at the game, i agree score board was pretty lame, was great to be able to see the game *cough subi cough*
    That's a pretty good number for the JB Cup, we'd had a report of only 200. If they can maintain anywhere near that they will likely be a success. Like I said before here, I had my doubts about the financial side of this venture, looks like they may have been groundless. They also just announced a 2 year $100,000 a year jersey sponsorship with Bartercard. More good news on top of their great on-field performances so far.

Perhaps all the TWF Mungo supporters should organise a pre game watering hole for the next Reds home game. Any suggestions?

vCash
    Theres the brisbane hotel about 3 minute walk away

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Theres the brisbane hotel about 3 minute walk away
    Should do. Pretty crowded for the Glory but should be easier for The Reds. Their new website has just been launched. Pretty good it is, too.

WA Reds Rugby League - Home

vCash
    There is a nearby pub, that was announced as the bar that the players go to after the games. I think it was Carnegie's but I can't be too sure.

As for the crowd, it looked like about 200 but I'm crap at estimating so I would go with bort's estimate of 2000-2200.

vCash
    Carnegie's is a fair hike from MES, it's on Murray St about half way to the freeway

vCash
    Yep- the Brisbane sounds like a winner though- next game I'm there

vCash
    Maybe not then but there was definately a pub that they said the players from both teams go to after the games. The pub is a sponsor of them, but I can't find it on the sponsors list.

vCash
    Brissie Hotel it is before the next home game

shame it's not for another 2 weeks, espeacially with the Force bye this week

Apprentice
    vCash

Smile The inside word

Hi all Force Members,

Great to see you discussing the great game of Rugby League.

I have been involved at a reasonable level, in the game of Rugby League in WA since 1995 in Perth and it is rare to hear a RL person say a negative thing about Union. In fact we (the WARL) were the first to congratulate Rugby WA after the bid by the Force was successful.

I am in a position to quell some of the misconception that is obvious in some of the messages on the Force Forum so will do so:

1. It has never been put forward by the WA Rugby League that we would do dual memberships with the Force and I doubt the Force hierarchy would be interested. In fact we wouldn't be interested as we need to stand on our own feet or perish. From a fan perspective though, it is worth considering that the Force home games finish very soon and the Reds games are here till September. Come along and see what is on offer - much better than the Dockers or Eagles options)

Serioulsy, this is not (and never has been) a Rugby League versus Rugby Union thing. That would be pretty dumb in an AFL town especially since there is a big crossover in our Rugby U and Rugby L fan base.

2. There were average 2,200 people or thereabouts at each Reds game so far. This is well above what we budgeted for.

3. Although we have cooperated since day 1 with the Rugby Union in their bid for a larger rectangular stadium, we would be very happy with Members Equity (as it is) for the next 5 years. Having said that, we understand that Union and League must support one another at the top level in WA so we will continue to do so.

4. The Reds airfares have been paid for by the Reds (in advance) from our sponsorship funds. In fact the Reds pay for all travel for all teams both ways.

5. Our budget for a season is around $1.2 million and we are well on target. Having said that, just as many of our members are also Force members, we would love for more Force members to also join the Reds or at least come along and enjoy our games. At $15 to be right on the edge of the action, the value is there.

6. As for being financially viable, it is always a battle for new teams in an AFL state but we have a great committee and we have no doubt that we will prosper this year and years to come.

7. Bill Nosworthy only stated the obvious. If Perth people don’t get behind the Reds we cannot survive. Our break even budget for 2008 is only 900 paying fans through the gate so it looks like that won’t be an issue with 2000 plus and with our membership continuing to grow.

8. There has been zero discussion about Souths relocating to Perth. The Souths initiative is simply that, a way for Souths to spread their brand and to look after their substantial base in WA. The Reds management have met on several occasions with Holmes a Court and the Souths people and we will be working with them in this initiative for mutual reward. If it goes ahead we will endevour to offer the Souths games as part of 2009 Reds membership. The Reds will paly curtain raisers for Souths.

9. Fans gather at the Brisbane before and we have our after match at the Paddo in Mt Hawthorn who have generously come on as a sponsor.

10. Aloisio Mailangi (Sio) is from Tonga not NZ. For the record, he played a blinder in the first home game and his impact probably was responsible for the fight back win. In our second home game, he made some critical errors that did a lot of damage and cost us points against in a close loss. Guess he’s one of those players??

Having been fighting the battle at the top level since the nineties, I understand what is required for us to succeed in getting back to the NRL. Second tier, third tier makes no difference. The Jim Beam Cup is a building block on the road back to the top level and we are prepared to do what it takes to get there.

Despite all the banter about League v Union, we are all “rugby” fans and we should all stick together in this AFL state.

Thanks for allowing me to express my views. Come along and enjoy some great Rugby League and we will continue to support the great work of the Western Force.

vCash
    Thanks for the further info on the financials. I was the one who was sceptical about that side of things. I suppose funding the other teams fares was the only way they would/could participate? My comments about telling fans to "support the Reds or else" remain, though. The comment is more directed at the ARL/NRL than Bill Nosworthy but I suppose that's how it came out. They should support this venture financially as well morally, whatever. I suppose I'm still filthy on them for the way they walked away from WA in the aftermath of the Super League war. In comparison to the AFL's proactive drive into Rugby/League heartlands their attitude was pathetic.

Sunday was the first time we could get there but won't be the last. Great to be so close to the big hits. Great that the second crowd matched the first. A little more experience, patience and structure on the part of a lot of players in then last 10 minutes should have seen them home. It wasn't just the sloppy PTB by Sio. That part will come.

Congratulations to all concerned.

Apprentice
    vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Thanks for the further info on the financials. I was the one who was sceptical about that side of things. I suppose funding the other teams fares was the only way they would/could participate? My comments about telling fans to "support the Reds or else" remain, though. The comment is more directed at the ARL/NRL than Bill Nosworthy but I suppose that's how it came out. They should support this venture financially as well morally, whatever. I suppose I'm still filthy on them for the way they walked away from WA in the aftermath of the Super League war. In comparison to the AFL's proactive drive into Rugby/League heartlands their attitude was pathetic.

Sunday was the first time we could get there but won't be the last. Great to be so close to the big hits. Great that the second crowd matched the first. A little more experience, patience and structure on the part of a lot of players in then last 10 minutes should have seen them home. It wasn't just the sloppy PTB by Sio. That part will come.

Congratulations to all concerned.
    Good to hear from you Shasta,

I take no offence from any comments made on this forum as I am a humble guest who is just happy to be able to make a comment here myself.

As I have said to our people many times over the past decade, we have got to totally forget about the ARL/Super League fiasco of 10 years ago and look to the future. The past is for learning from but there is nothing posiitve in living back there for any of us. And laying blame will never achieve any good outcome.

People talk about the orignal Reds failing but that is far from the truth. Despite the financial challenges their last year was their strongest and they were set to become a force (excuse the license) before the reformed partnership pulled the rug. Interestingly, the Melbourne Storm took most of our players and were premiers within two years.

You know, the original Reds averaged crowds of 15,000 with a top of 28,000 which is pretty good. That latent support base is historically demonstrated and it is our intention to re-nurture it for the future of our game. Far form being enemies we firmly believe Union and League can compliment one another in WA. In fact, we need to align ourselves to defeat the common foe - AFL.

As for the odd negative knocker who are always looking for negative things to say, all codes have them but only their own kind really take any notice of them so we reamin unfazed. Open minded, posiitve people tend to be the ones who get in and do the work while these guys are bogged down in there own mire but I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

Anyway, our team behind the Reds are a passionate bunch who love Rugby League but we also watch the Force and are 100% behind them. Hope you and other Force Members can keep an open mind and remember we will be still going till September offering "Rugby" fans some pretty good entertainment during and after the Union is finished.

(PS: we have ensured that none of our games clash)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast