Thread: League star to confirm French rugby switch

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

League star to confirm French rugby switch

League star to confirm French rugby switch
    By GLENN JACKSON and GREG PRICHARD - SMH | Tuesday, 15 July 2008

St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier will today announce he will quit the Dragons to play rugby union in France despite an 11th-hour bid by club boss Peter Doust to keep him in the NRL - a proposal that received a general pasting from fellow officials yesterday.

The 26-year-old will end months of speculation by confirming at 1pm (NZ time) at St George Leagues Club that he has signed a two-year deal with Stade Francais. It will only fuel debate about how to stop the game's newest threat, European rugby union. The most controversial idea so far - to allow players to play two codes in two continents, which came from Doust on Sunday - was largely met with disdain by a cross-section of the game's officials.

Two NRL coaches who have played around the calendar, Manly's Des Hasler and Parramatta's Michael Hagan, dismissed Doust's call.

"What happens if he gets injured?" said Hasler, who played with Manly and Hull FC in 1993. "How do you account for insurance? I know it's only rugby union...............

Full story:League star to confirm French rugby switch - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    St George Illawarra winger Wendell Sailor last night was said to be the latest league player who might join a French rugby club. He was understood to be negotiating with Craig Gower's club, Bayonne.

vCash
    St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier will today announce he will quit the Dragons to play rugby union in France

Hey chook, how do the Waratahs feel about being frog jumped on this one?

<>

vCash
    Gasnier's NRL contract 'not honoured'
    15th July 2008, 10:46 WST

Test centre Mark Gasnier says he has been forced out of rugby league because his NRL contract has not been fully honoured.

The St George Illawarra captain on Tuesday confirmed he would leave the Dragons at the end of the season to join French rugby union club Stade Francais on a two-year deal, ending months of speculation on his future.

While stressing his move was not motivated by money, Gasnier revealed an exit clause in his contract was only activated because he was owed third-party sponsorship money promised to him when he signed a five-year deal in 2006.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust would not identify the third parties responsible but said: "It's fair to say those commitments have not been fulfilled." Firepower???

Gasnier said he would not have looked at an offer from rugby union had his contract been honoured, but he had no choice but to leave because he felt like he was only earning "two-thirds" of his wages.

"The hardest things was to walk away from the club, I love the club," said Gasnier, who will earn an expected $1 million a year in rugby union.

"I grew up here, there's a lot of family history.

"But it's the circumstances that led me here.

"It's unfortunate how things come about but I've had to react to it and I think this is the best reaction for me."

Gasnier, who will link up with former Waratahs coach Ewan McKenzie in France, will stay on as Dragons captain for the rest of the season.

He will join Penrith premiership-winners Craig Gower and Luke Rooney in playing French rugby next season.

AAP

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    It's never about the money.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    seeya Gaz, don't let the door hit you in the arse as you leave
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Gasnier's NRL contract 'not honoured'
    15th July 2008, 10:46 WST

While stressing his move was not motivated by money, Gasnier revealed an exit clause in his contract was only activated because he was owed third-party sponsorship money promised to him when he signed a five-year deal in 2006.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust would not identify the third parties responsible but said: "It's fair to say those commitments have not been fulfilled." Firepower???

AAP

It is believed a collapsed deal with Channel Nine is the reason Gasnier's contract has not been honoured.

vCash
    Monsieur Gasnier
    Like, I'm happy to say you know them (sic) Tazo cards for instance, I would love to know their sales, but we get $1000. Is that fair?

“...I'm just saying little things and this isn't out of greed, and it's important you guys don't take it out of context because all I'm saying is little things like that could help.
    Jeez I dunno Gaz. Maybe they give a grand from all them Tazo cards to the NRL players on minimum contracts too.

FFS, just STFU and piss off to France if you want more money and good luck too. But don't bitch on about not getting your fair share of money from a game that hasn't got enough to keep you. There's plenty of kids around who'll be happy to get a crack at some what it has got to offer.

Adieu. Allez vite!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Blame game follows Mark Gasnier's exit
    Brent Read | July 16, 2008

MARK GASNIER will leave for France at the end of the season but the search for someone to blame began in earnest yesterday as the NRL and St George Illawarra engaged in a round of finger-pointing over his decision to defect to rugby union club Stade Francais.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust, who was central to the deal which allowed Gasnier to leave the club only two years into a five-year commitment, implied the NRL should shoulder responsibility for the situation.

NRL chief executive David Gallop responded to that claim yesterday by stressing his organisation had done everything in its power to keep Gasnier.

For his part, Gasnier refused to blame anyone, defending both the NRL and St George Illawarra. But his diplomacy failed to mask the fact yesterday morning's announcement was the culmination of a convoluted contract negotiation which was destined to reach an ugly end.

more...Blame game follows Mark Gasnier's exit | The Australian