Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Firepower Explained on ABC's Four Corners Tonight?

vCash
    hmm.
    then that just gives me more questions...
    i was thinking that there was no mention of the rugby issues because there was legal procedings in the mix...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Geoff Stooke was interviewed on Stateline when they had a story about it and he said that they wouldn't be taking legal action because it wouldn't be worth it (or words to that effect).

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Four Corners is advertising an expose on Firepower tonight. Some interesting questions might be asked, if not answered. For example:

What did Stooke tell the Bishop about Johnson's proposed donations to the Liberal Party and did he set up the meeting?

How much money owing to Giteau and other players by Firepower is underwritten by RugbyWA?

Where is Johnson?

How are the Russian Mafia involved?

Do the SMH deserve an apology from all at TWF?
    3rd party payments were to be at arms length from rugby WA,have you information to the contary Fulvio?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Unbelievable. Not that sharks like Johnstone exist, but that an organization like RugbyWA should be taken in by a low life scam merchant so easily.

Not that they are orphans in that regard. Apart from the run of the mill would be Gordon Geckos that one expects to be fleeced as quickly as they breed, Johnstone and his pit of vipers also conned the Federal Government and the Liberal party with the same outrageous flimflammery.

What disgusts me about RugbyWA is that, among other things, they allowed this rogue to interfere and intervene in their relationships with key players. And now, undoubtedly, in my view, RugbyWA will have to make up the full extent of player financial losses, one way or the other.

It is all very well to take Firepowers's money in exchange for a few words on a jumper or Tshirt (along with any other Sponsor's money), where for little or no actual outlay there is at least the possibility of financial gain. but to enter into contractual relations with players which are dependant on that money coming through, without any concrete guarantees or due dilligence, is inexcusable.

I was one of probably many bemused stakeholders in RugbyWA (through my then involvement in local club administration) at the time the whole Western Force concept, and the administrative controls behind it, were being set up.

The whole thing, while ostensibly being done on behalf of WARU ((as it then was) was in fact organized and run by a gaggle of rugby outsiders and the clubs were told what was good for them, to give up their executive control to these outsiders and effectively shut up if they wanted to share in the glory and the bounty to come. Sadly the clubs fell for it.

These self styled corporate wunderkinds and their hangers on have brought things to where they are now, and unless some rationalization is done immediately, the deadwood culled, and the unnecessary spending reined in, the future will be grim.

I sympathise to a degree with what's left of the old guard on the RugbyWA Board. their intentions have always been honourable and dedicated to the advancement of WA rugby. But we cannot exist on hype and the likes of Johnstone.Those that professed to have professional expertise and qualifications yet advised and encouraged the Board to get into bed with him need to be brought to account.

vCash
    Did the show say if Firepower had problems paying for players with the Rabbitohs and that Sydney Basketball team? Or was it just about RugbyWA/Western Force?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The Basketball guys didn't get paid at all. That's why they were shut down.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The whole thing was quite interesting for all the reasons above, but the line I found most curious and would have liked to see pursued was when they were talking to the bloke in NZ that was left holding the bag. He certainly had no reason to harbouring any warm feeling, but basically said that their main complaint was that the pill that Johnson was bringing in from the States actually worked, but the supply ran out when he stopped paying his bills and their big problem was that they were left without supplies.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah. I picked that up.
    I've heard a story that there is a pill that did do something.
    Just not the pill he was pushing towards the end.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Prospect
    vCash
    Fulvio and members

I've been following the firepower disaster and mess they've created around australia like a lot of others and thought I'd add my two bobs worth. And well done, Fulvio for adding a few questions and sensible comments.

Fulvio, from what I've heard the Force former CEO ( O'meara) was best mates with Tim Johnston (should we now call him liar,liar?) and that O'meara spoke wonders of this bloke and supported him. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me? Any due diligence done? I wonder if they even have a contract with firepower - probably not. I did hear a story once that O'meara went to Russia with Johnston last year...... what on earth for? Can the board explain this?

As for the force board, I'm not sure we should feel sorry for them. Did you notice an article last week that identified at least one force board member had firepower shares? Interesting conflict of interest I would suggest. As for being old gentleman, age should never be a barrier to performance, so if these old gentleman arent experienced or smart enough to assess what is good for rugbywa or they let their own financial agenda get in the way of whats good for rugbywa, I would ask if they deserve to be on the board?
    Fulvio, I reckon its time rugbywa own up and tell force members how much the loss of firepower is going to cost. Stooke hasnt done this and its time it was done.

As for the force and some of their supporters, I reckon they owe the smh and certain people one hell of an apology. I recall reading lots of abuse being hurled at the smh last year as everyone supported firepower and the crooks involved with this group. Dont see those people around now? Perhaps if they and the force had listened before early action could have happened. South Sydney were smart enough to get rid of Firepower years ago.

Good luck

vCash
    South Syndey only dumped Firepower last year, not years ago and I'm struggling to see how the Force and its supporters owe SMH an apology. Please explain why you think the Force owe SMH anything.

I'd like to point out that
    Australia's securities watchdog was warned that fuel technology company Firepower "may in fact be a scam" more than six months before it became a public issue, but allegedly chose not to investigate.
    So if that was before it was a public issue, why was nothing said and how were the Force meant to have known...been psychic?

Last edited by laura; 22-07-08 at 22:37. Reason: grammar

vCash
    The SMH don't make much of a distinction between the Force and its former sponsor. This is the RugbyHeaven "Force" page, which reads more like the financial section:
    Force Super 14 news & team photos | Rugby Heaven

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FP>Microsoft View Post
    As for the force and some of their supporters, I reckon they owe the smh and certain people one hell of an apology. I recall reading lots of abuse being hurled at the smh last year as everyone supported firepower and the crooks involved with this group. Dont see those people around now? Perhaps if they and the force had listened before early action could have happened. South Sydney were smart enough to get rid of Firepower years ago.

Good luck
    Most Force supporters, on this site at least, abused the SMH for the manner in which they went about exposing the Firepower saga rather than blindly supporting Firepower as you suggest. Things like using information from David Round when they should well have known he was breaking a confidentiality agreement in divulging. Drudging up the stories again and again with nothing new to add just to keep it in the media and damage the Force's image. Is it not also a conflict of interest for them rabidly pursuing the story when they sponsor the Waratahs and the Force and Tahs are in competition with each other? If we truly listened to the kinds of stuff the SMH publish we'd all be Waratahs supporters by now and the TWF player of the year award would be in the shape of Matt Dunning (if we could find enough materials to build it) and would be awarded to Lote Tuqiri.

I don't think we owe them anything.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Prospect
    vCash
    Smh exposed firepower as a fraud 2 years ago and the force knew they just chose to ignore it. Lots of people at the force were on the payroll - and I guess they didnt want that to change. Big conflict of interest I would have thought.

Think about it, they had to. Firepower had them by the balls. They'd just signed giteau, mitchell and others and they would have been loathe to upset firepower at that stage. But I guess they made a mistake - a big mistake.

vCash
    Yeah, you're great FP>Microsoft.

Why is it every few months we get someone asking us to forgive and apoligise to SMH?

Do they care about us that much that they must seek our support.....hell, people from NSW know SMH are a bunch of hacks, the grudge is not about them 'exposing' the Force, it has to do with the lack of journalistic integrity, the lack of substantial proof in all claims, some of which are false, yet they still don't APOLOGISE do they?

Apprentice
    vCash
    FP>Microsoft, you have raised some very strong points that I feel have been brushed under the carpet. This infomation needs to come out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast