Thread: Australia easier than Islanders: Johnson

vCash

Australia easier than Islanders: Johnson

HERE WE GO!
    Baxter, look what you started!

Australia easier than Islanders: Johnson
    November 09, 2008 - 3:24pm
    Story by: AFP

Martin Johnson has stoked old rivalries by suggesting England might find Australia an "easier" proposition than the Pacific Islanders.

In their first game under England's 2003 World Cup-winning captain, last year's losing finalists saw off the Islanders, the cream of Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, 39-13 at Twickenham.

Now the seemingly sterner challenge of the Wallabies, 30-20 winners away to Italy, awaits at Twickenham this coming weekend.

But Johnson, who led England to World Cup glory against Australia in Sydney five years ago, said familiarity with the Wallabies - beaten 12-10 by the Red Rose in the quarter-finals last year - would be a help to his team.

"The Pacific Islanders were a dangerous team to play. I was asked if I'd considered losing to them, because they are dangerous.

"It may be easier to play Australia than the Pacific Islanders, because we can have a good look at them and know what they're about," the England manager added.

"But the tempo and intensity next week will be higher."

Johnson fielded a starting XV against the Islanders featuring four debutants with New Zealand-born hooker Dylan Hartley coming off the bench to also earn a first cap.

All the new boys made a positive impression with fullback Delon Armitage, the man-of-the-match, starring in a back three which also featured the rapid Ugo Monye.

Riki Flutey, once of New Zealand's Under-19s, was assured at inside centre while Nick Kennedy, paired alongside England captain Steve Borthwick in the second-row, produced the kind of lineout display with which the London Irish lock has made his name in the Premiership.

Kennedy also grabbed one of England's five tries with wing Paul Sackey, who touched down twice, outside-half Danny Cipriani and hooker Lee Mears also crossing the Islanders' line.

"I'm reasonably happy with that," said Johnson. "It was stop-start. That's understandable because this was our first match together and we were trying to put some things together."

"We're in a pretty good place and we're looking forward to next week."

When Johnson was England captain, then coach Clive Woodward's pre-match verbal jousts with Wallaby counterpart Eddie Jones, were a regular feature of Anglo-Australian clashes.

There wasn't as much spice at the 2007 World Cup where England were coached by Brian Ashton and John Connolly, since succeeded as Australia coach by the New Zealander Robbie Deans.

And the old sparring partners haven't stopped their outspoken remarks - even if these days it is not aimed at each other.

Woodward, now the British Olympic Association's performance director, last week delivered some thinly veiled criticisms of Rob Andrew, Johnson's boss at England's Rugby Football Union.

And Jones, currently coach of English Premiership club Saracens after a controversial stint as a consultant to reigning world champions South Africa, has been equally ready in recent times to attack his country's rugby hierarchy.

rugby.com.au | Australia easier than Islanders: Johnson

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think I'll wait for our team announcement before commenting either way

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think the key part of this game will be scrum time and line-out time. Our backline is just as fantasmagorical as their's (If not more) but their forwards have dominated against us too often. Therefore, I think:

Props- NO TRESTLE. NO DONUT. Don't make me repeat myself Deans. Start Alexander and Robinson (Ben and Bennnnnnnn). No idea who can cover the bench. Not Kepu, he wouldn't be ready just yet for the poms, but not trestle or donut. Blah.

Hooker- Moore. Blergh. He has been average. I peer ahead skeptically...

Locks- Sharpie and Chis with MMM on the bench. Neither of our starters are allowed to be injured or substituted off. I'm really hoping Nathan starts, and that he has a blinder. The boy has been off his game and its no good. He needs to lift his game, mainly because MMM just doesn't cut it for games like this. Chilsom had a relatively good game last night, but MMM was jumping on people and being rather cheeky at lineout time, I thought. We need Nathan and his... seniorority?

No screwing around with Waugh. The bloke is not playing top class rugby. Mumm- 6, Smith- 7 Brown- 8 with Palu on the bench. If any of those blokes are out, shuffle it round and bring Bam to the bench

And the rest just... well it's a tad predictable. Burgess 9, Giteau 10, Mitchell 11 and then I get stuck. I WANT BERRICK to get uninjured and start. With Crossy outside him Seeing as that is super unlikely, Mortlock 12, Cross 13, Hynes 14, AAC 15.

Our forwards REALLY need to show some guts. LETS SHOW THOSE POMS!

(I just want to win so I can wander round the Queens palace in January waving my wallabies jumper at her )

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry