Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: England apologise to Wallabies

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    As they should be.

The only booing Almac does towards his wife is to tell her she's bootiful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    I've always wondered: why is it that for instance, 75,000 people can scream, kick, and yell at American Football games as the kicker nods to take the kick between the uprights; 50,000 at a baseball game make as much noise as is humanly possible(in a smaller yard) as the hitter prepares for a 95 MPH pitch (which allows about .010 second to decide- c' mon cricket fans back me up) or my personal favorite, in a cozy gym, kick, scream, holler AND show pictures of partially nude persons to a basketball player shooting free throws.. Yet not one person is allowed a sound during - 1) a golf swing, 2) a volleyball, or 3) a tennis serve... WHY?In one sport, noise is accepted and appreciated, yet in another an uncouth display of spite.. Interestingly enough, in the states, everyone is quiet during a place kick in rugby..
    due to heaps of factors
    people identify with their teams and as a result opposition are seen as the enemy. in games involving direct competition and high degrees of physicallity fans are even further inclined to cheer their team and jeer the other. whether you like booing or not really depends on your justification for doing it.
    as for other sports generally the narrower an athletes attention is the less noise the crowd will make so as to not distract them, or alternately the more noise the crowd will make in an attempt to distract them. then you have to factor in the nature of the sport and tradition. Traditionally tennis is a gentlemans sport (unlike rugby) and was watched by the really rich fancy types (royalty and such) who arent really gunna show to much excitement over anything and as a result the culture of tennis incorporates a silent crowd. Golf is the same. Golfers also do not directly compete against their opponents. they play against themselves and their environment with the hope of in the end having done better than their opposition. by removing the direct competion the crowd and fans are a not really as involved etc and are less likely to try and distract a golfer. the length and pace of the game also tends to affect how noisy crowds are, with longer and slower sports usually getting less noise. rugby whilst initially played by 'gentleman' is hardly 'gentlemanly' and is a direct and physical game. the nature of the sport inclines supporters to see the opposition as the bad guys. you might boo the blues and the crusaders when they play the force (which doesnt mean you dont respect them) but you wont boo them both when they play eachother. you wont boo no force players in the wallabies when you booed them a month earlier when they played the force, because now they are on 'your team'. booing is the same as playing dirty (general cheating, not dangerous tackles and the like) its not for everyone, when the other team (or in this case, their fans) do it its a terrible thing but its done in an attempt to gain your team an advantage by detracting from the other teams performance. mccaw knows he shouldnt be doing what he does but nz fans still love him because of the advantage it gains. opposition players dont dread coming to a homeground because you cheer your team so much (doesnt help but) they dread it because of the cold reception they will recieve.

think about if gits had missed a few penalties because of the english booing

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    If you boo foul play, I couldnt give a rats ass.
    But when a team is taking a kick, and the crowd jeers, that's what I think should not be done.
    I'm sure the players are used to it, but its not about putting the players off or anything. It's about showing respect for the other team and the player because they have opted to go for a kick after your own team has been penalised for making a mistake.
    I have boo-ed before, but not at a kick. Last time I remember boo-ing was against the Blues at home, when the touch judge and referee made the dreadful decision of awarding a try even though it was obvious to the players and every single spectator that it was not a try.
    Perfect booworthy moment.

I tend to think booing as a karma related thing in general play/kicking. The more you boo the better they do! Sounds a bit like a catch phrase. Fits though huh- Giteau booed and makes 6 from 7 while Cipriani who isn't booed has a bad day with the boo-t.

Yeah sorry about that- you can boo lame puns.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Geez what did your wife do
    I'm more worried about his poor dog!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3