Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies can go all the way: Deans

vCash

Lightbulb Brumbies can go all the way: Deans

Brumbies can go all the way: Deans

BY PETER FITZGERALD
    RUGBY UNION
    11/02/2009 1:00:00 AM

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans believes the ACT Brumbies have the ability to not only reach the Super14 finals, but reclaim southern hemisphere rugby supremacy.
    Deans, the most successful coach in Super rugby history, said yesterday the Brumbies had the two key aspects required to win the championship depth and mental toughness.

Deans spent Monday in Canberra and was impressed with what he saw at two training sessions and from spending time with coach Andy Friend and his assistants.

The former Canterbury Crusaders coach described the Brumbies as a ''particularly strong'' team that was more than capable of dethroning his former club, which has won three of the past four titles.

''The Brumbies absolutely have some serious talent in their squad,'' Deans told The Canberra Times. ''They no doubt should be striving to have a good season and by that I mean making the finals and becoming the best team in the southern hemisphere.

''They potentially have half a Wallabies backline and a forward pack with so much depth in all positions. All the four Australian teams are looking good ... but the Brumbies certainly have the key ingredients to go all the way this year.''

Deans, who led the Crusaders to five championships in nine years before taking over the Australian coaching job, believed the Brumbies' successful past would prove vital to further success.

He said the Brumbies had an ideal mix of youth and experience to make a strong play for the title in 2009, while predicting their reputation as a competition powerhouse would help.

''When I was at the Crusaders the Brumbies were always one team who you gave the utmost respect to and you knew they were going to respect you and I think that's why the two teams forged such a great rivalry over the years which led to couple of finals against each other,'' Deans said.

''They've got an inner belief, if you like, that they can go the distance and if they get to the business end, they'll present a real threat. Having players within the group who have been there and done it, guys like George Smith and Stirling [Mortlock] working off Hoilesy, from a leadership perspective, that's powerful.''

Deans will return to Canberra for the Brumbies' first home game against the Crusaders in 10 days.

FRIDAY

Super14 round one: Otago Highlanders v ACT Brumbies at Carisbrook Park, Dunedin, 5.35pm. TV time: Live on Fox Sports2.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...s/1430491.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    (cough, cough)Bull5hit(cough)

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Propaganda

I'm sure the Aussie Rob has nice things to say about all 4 Aussie Super 14 sides

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Indeed, what else is he going to say as Aussie coach?
    "Gee, don't the (pick a team) look completely shite this year, wouldn't want to be playing for them!"

Which is not to say he is wrong. It is one of the great things about the S14 that any team can win on a given day if it gets its collective heads in the right place. Get the whole team in the right space and they can win it too, although it is a harder ask to do that over thirteen rounds, a bye and two finals.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    They have got depth and some outstanding players, 10 Wallabies are in their team as well as good prospects in Fainifo, Kimlin and Tyrone Smith. What is funny about their Wallabies players is that the majority are forwards when the Brumbies were renowned in the past for class backs. Their front rowers (Alexander, Moore and Shepherdson) will be something to contend with and should be the best performing in Australia.

The better the other Aussie teams do the better the Wallabies will become when tri-nations come around.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    They have got depth and some outstanding players, 10 Wallabies are in their team as well as good prospects in Fainifo, Kimlin and Tyrone Smith. What is funny about their Wallabies players is that the majority are forwards when the Brumbies were renowned in the past for class backs. .
    other than young , paul, darwin, noriega, mckenzie, caputo, giffin, vickerman , harrison, robinson, jaques, williams, finegan, freier who all played for australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    other than young , paul, darwin, noriega, mckenzie, caputo, giffin, vickerman , harrison, robinson, jaques, williams, finegan, freier who all played for australia.
    May I add a few more brumbies/Wallaby forwards.... Bill Young, Jim Williams (Wallabies assistant coach) Radike Samo, Chisholm, Vickerman...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Propaganda

I'm sure the Aussie Rob has nice things to say about all 4 Aussie Super 14 sides
    Actually he did cover the point in his statement....

''The Brumbies absolutely have some serious talent in their squad,'' Deans told The Canberra Times. ''They no doubt should be striving to have a good season and by that I mean making the finals and becoming the best team in the southern hemisphere.

''They potentially have half a Wallabies backline and a forward pack with so much depth in all positions. All the four Australian teams are looking good ... but the Brumbies certainly have the key ingredients to go all the way this year.''

Deans isn't interested to talking up teams... He 's a straight talker or he doesn't say anything...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I'll give you that last statement Mudguts.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah fair enough I guess I just remember the flashy backs and not the game winning forwards!

Roff, Giteau, Larkham, Gregan, Mortlock, Kafer, Ashley-Cooper, Campese, Cordingley, Gerrard, Henjak, Huxley

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    May I add a few more brumbies/Wallaby forwards.... Bill Young, Jim Williams (Wallabies assistant coach) Radike Samo, Chisholm, Vickerman...
    Talk about padding Mudskipper- you've mentioned Jim Williams, Dan Vickerman and Bill Young twice!

I have started taking many things Deans says with a grain of salt after he claimed that South Africa are the world's best rugby side at the moment. I still respect Deansy but had I been eating cornflakes I would certainly have choked on them after reading that one.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Talk about padding Mudskipper- you've mentioned Jim Williams, Dan Vickerman and Bill Young twice!

I have started taking many things Deans says with a grain of salt after he claimed that South Africa are the world's best rugby side at the moment. I still respect Deansy but had I been eating cornflakes I would certainly have choked on them after reading that one.
    Now 3 times....with your help....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Yeah fair enough I guess I just remember the flashy backs and not the game winning forwards!

Roff, Giteau, Larkham, Gregan, Mortlock, Kafer, Ashley-Cooper, Campese, Cordingley, Gerrard, Henjak, Huxley

...Campese wasn't ever a brumby but came from the local district...Privately I'm quite happy he wasn't...They didn't need him to flourish....

http://www.brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/51165

vCash
    THIS IS AS GOOD A PLACE AS ANY....
    MUDSKIPPER NOW OVER 1,0000 TWF POSTS.... Thanks guys....

vCash
    The Brumbies are never to be underestimated. They have a very good development system and have a few players coming through that will become household names. They are always competitive and also have a core group of wallabies and a handy pack. I believe they will be capable of winning any game.....consistency will be the key

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast