Thread: Testing times as Wallabies candidates clash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Testing times as Wallabies candidates clash

Greg Growden | April 16, 2009

THE Phil Waugh-David Pocock duel will grab the headlines in the lead-up to the Waratahs-Force match, but three other head-to-head battles hold greater interest to the Wallabies selectors.

Waugh wants to put up-and-comer Pocock in his place, but the match will probably not affect their Test pecking order.

While Waugh is highly rated by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, George Smith is the No.1 openside Wallabies breakaway, and Pocock the heir apparent. So high is Deans's estimation of Pocock, regarded by him as a potential Richie McCaw, that only a trouncing by Waugh at the Sydney Football Stadium will change his thinking.

There is greater uncertainty in several other crucial areas. And the Test selectors - Deans, David Nucifora and Jim Williams - will be closely watching the battles between second-rowers Dean Mumm (NSW) and Nathan Sharpe, No.8s Wycliff Palu and Richard Brown and league converts Timana Tahu, left, and Ryan Cross, right, at outside-centre.

Palu began the Super 14 well but has tapered off in recent weeks, while Brown has been the standout No.8 since returning from a three-week break after a shoulder injury.

While Palu has the advantage of being 17 kilos heavier, Brown used the Wallabies' end-of-season tour of Hong Kong and Europe to his advantage, making the No.8 jersey his. Brown also has a touch of the mad dog in him, which many coaches - Deans in particular - love.

With Palu injured early in the end-of-season tour, Brown played against New Zealand, Italy, England and Wales, impressing Deans and co with his mobility, aggression and athletic skills. As with Pocock, Deans is a Brown fan, and it will be up to Palu to regain ground.

Sharpe's form picked up after Deans left him out of the Wallabies squad which was originally to go to South Africa last year, and injuries brought him back into contention. The Force captain enjoyed close to his best performance in the green and gold against England at Twickenham late last year, and this season he has been Australia's most consistent second-rower.

But Mumm is gradually applying pressure, showing that since the departure of Dan Vickerman from the Waratahs, he can handle greater responsibility.

Cross is the more established No.13 and played well all season, but Tahu at last gets his opportunity to show what he can do at outside-centre. Deans has tried Tahu in various positions but is interested in what he can do in both centre positions.

Still, the most tantalising tussle promises to be the battle between Waugh and Pocock for domination at the breakdown. Pocock, soon to be 21, is Waugh's junior by eight years, but the Waratahs skipper is relishing the challenge of this fresh-faced foe from the west who has joined Smith as a formidable obstacle to returning to the Test team.

Waugh has stated recently he wants to prove he is No.1 in the No.7 jersey.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...474935765.html

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Waugh is dreaming......he's never been #1 in that Jersey.

I guess it's unfortunate, If George Smith wasn't around, Waugh would probably have made a capable #7, but he's up against more class in Smith........Pocock beat Smith in the Brumbies match this year, regardless of what the SMH are paid to write......the same thing will happen Saturday night, unless they double team him to make sure the old fella gets a look at the ball......If that happens, Browny will be daylight ahead of the pack.

It'll either be a very absorbing arm wrestle at the breakdown with a points decision to Pocock and Brown, or an attempt to shut down one, with the other running rampant.

If I was Hickey, I'd be looking to narrowly lose the arm wrestle and try to pick up the points in the front row....but don't tell him I said that.....he should double team Pocock and make sure he has a bad game!

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    i dont think pocock out performed smith in the brumbies clash, dont get me wrong im all for pocock. but he still hasa little bit to go before beating smith.

The brown v pocock clash will be good. I think we have the best back 3 in the comp at the moment.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion Palitu.

Do you mean Waugh v Pocock? I think that battle is already over. Like I said, if Dave doesn't have a good game this week, it'll be because they're overcommitting resources to containing him........or the ref is on his case again!

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the