Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Predications for 2009 Finals

Champion
    vCash

Predications for 2009 Finals

Just a quick thread to find out what we are all thinking of who is going to finish in the top 4 for 2009.

My predications: -

1) Chiefs - still got the final two games at home, two more games on the road in South Africa against the Bulls & Stormers

2) Sharks - You would still think games against Highlanders, Bulls and Tahs all at home. the bye might shake them up a bit but.

3) Canes - With games against the Reds,Brumbies and Blues all at the Cake Tin and to finish with the saders. it will come down to the last game on who makes it.

or

Saders - Away games against the lesser like SAFFAs in lions and Cheetahs, plus home games against the Canes and Reds. The finishing game against the Canes will tell the story but with Richie and the back line coming good. Money is on them to sneak home.

4) Force - I'd love to say it.. so i'm throwing it in there, with games against Stormers, Bulls away (records show that we haven't lost a game against the bulls in SAF yet) Lions and Highlanders we might have a chance with 3 of the 4 games getting a winning bonus point.

Who wont make it:

1) Tahs - Three games plus a bye in South Africa, pack your bags boys for the holiday.

2) Bulls - Home games against Cheetahs, Force and Chiefs and finish with the Sharks. too hard, but maybe

3) Blues - Too erratic this year and games against the top 6 teams I think they didn't do them self justice at Eden Park in 09.

4) Brumbies - ARRR HHHHAAAAA... next

5) Highlanders - Haven't traveled yet. final 4 games on the road. good effort in 09 but

6) Do I need to mention the likes of the LIONS - CHEETAHS - REDS - or STORMERS ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Chiefs
    Sharks
    Bulls +/- Very good
    Crusaders or Hurricanes if they beat them....

Big outsiders Brumbies who have to win at Wellington this coming week...
    Their chances really depend on their injuries...

Blues, Tahs, unlikely...

vCash
    If Force win all their games, and Blues, Tahs and Saders lose at least one of the four, we should be a chance.

Bonus points may be a difficulty, but we're in with a shot!

Sharks and Chiefs will likely do it, the remaining two spots are open for teams down to about 8 or 9......Force has just beaten the biggest challenge in the last 5 weeks, we just need to be sure to keep winning. (a bonus point win against the Lions will have us level with the 'Tahs, so this season is well and truly open!)

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Brumbies may struggle for the next 2 games without shepardson as I dont rate Mafi.Not sure what their current injury toll is,but that could also play a part.

Force are in a good position with 4 games to go and no obvious injuries from last nights game,and shep back on deck.Shame about cummo and jnr.

The tahs will continue to self destruct.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If Force win all their games, and Blues, Tahs and Saders lose at least one of the four, we should be a chance.

Bonus points may be a difficulty, but we're in with a shot!

Sharks and Chiefs will likely do it, the remaining two spots are open for teams down to about 8 or 9......Force has just beaten the biggest challenge in the last 5 weeks, we just need to be sure to keep winning. (a bonus point win against the Lions will have us level with the 'Tahs, so this season is well and truly open!)
    If the Force can also get bonus points yes they’re a slim chance which would be excellent, but if they make it the brumbies certainly wont... The NZ sides have to play many games against each other so some could stall in the last few matches...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Everyone needs to win at least two of the last four (or three for the Sharks and Tahs).

Going back 8 points from the top of the Ladder you have:

Chiefs
    Sharks
    Bulls
    Hurricanes
    Blues
    Tahs
    Brumbies
    Crusaders
    Force

The Bulls v Chiefs and the Hurricanes v Brumbies will be the big decider next round with both losers in trouble. Likewise the Force v Bulls game and the Hurricanes v Blues games will finish finals hopes for two teams in the next round. In the second last round the three biggies will be the Sharks v Tahs where the loser is out and the Brumbies v Blues where the loser is out and the Chiefs v Canes. In the final round the Blues v Crusaders, Sharks v Bulls and Chiefs v Brumbies will decide who is and isn't in the finals.

So with 3 whopper games I'd say the Brumbies, Blues and the Bulls are out. The Force are probably out but if they did beat the Bulls they could just sneak it. The Tahs are in the same boat but are probably out. The Crusaders look to be in with only one big match to come and against a team they are good against.

So I'd say:

Chiefs
    Sharks
    Crusaders
    And one of: Force, Brumbies, Tahs, Hurricanes.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

If only it was a 6 team finals.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Good summation James...

Another way to look at it is if any team in top 8 can win all their matches last 4 season matches they’re a big chance for the Championship... Its getting down to team player depth and who has licked as a squad…

I'm interested to see if the Chiefs get the 1st home final because if they do teams 3 and 4 are a big chance...

The Hurricanes give away points so their vulnerable against good defence. The Chiefs are hot and cold injuries could be their undoing… The Crusaders are looking focussed and will be in the mix….

Who will be the spoilers this season, Stormers, Reds, Highlanders, Force....?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Force will be cheering on the Chiefs. If the Chiefs take 3 from 3 of the other contenders to shoves the numbers much more comfortably in the Force's direction. Having said that, if the Chiefs beat the Bulls in Pretoria it makes our job very hard- the Bulls won't happily or easily lose two in a round at Loftus.

I'll also be cheering for the Brumbies. Partly because any Australian team making the finals is a good thing, especially if it isn't the Tahs, but also because if you guys can knock off the Canes and Blues it also shifts the numbers our way.

vCash
    You know what. I reckon this week is a BIG hurdle for us. I know every week is but this one is no gimmee. The Lions have not been going too bad in the past 4 or 5 matches, although without winning, since beating the Brumbies. They have some great players and will give it a great shot. They got one on us here 2 years ago.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    SEMI'S

chiefs
    Bulls
    Brumbies

and either force, canes or crusaders decided on for and against

tried to work this out today and then saw this thread lol

chiefs just because they look good atm
    bulls also cause
    Brumbies as they are running on emotion, look really good and i want a aussie team in the finals and hate the tahs and dont think they will make it

Force because they can win their remainin games with some Bpoints and i love them
    Canes because they also look really good
    Crusaders cause they are not far behind, have mccaw back, and have some easy teams coming into the finals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You know what. I reckon this week is a BIG hurdle for us. I know every week is but this one is no gimmee. The Lions have not been going too bad in the past 4 or 5 matches, although without winning, since beating the Brumbies. They have some great players and will give it a great shot. They got one on us here 2 years ago.
    Shasta I'm worried as well. I think we can beat the Lions, but I am afraid our players will run out thinking that they've got this one in the bag and their minds on the SA tour and the Lions will run at us with a bang. Reeeally hope they don't do it. The Lions will come out fighting and I hope they are ready for it!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    The Lions will be on a false high after beating the Reds, so long as we rock up with our heads screwed on we will have no problems with the Lions

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The Lions will be on a false high after beating the Reds, so long as we rock up with our heads screwed on we will have no problems with the Lions
    Agree. The Reds did us a favour there. Plus the Lions are on the last week of a monster tour.

vCash
    We desperately need to pick up a bonus point this week. It's our best chance to get one.

Bulls are done, the only thing they've got left is their home ground......that doesn't mean a lot to the they'll need to win everything else to be a chance.

Saders will make the finals, Playing the Reds, Lions and Cheetahs in the last 4 rounds will make them scream home.....

Essentially we want Sharks, Chiefs and Canes to winn all their games for the rest of the season, then the Brumbies need to beat the Blues (it might happen, stop laughing) and we're in without scoring a bonus point!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    We desperately need to pick up a bonus point this week. It's our best chance to get one.

Bulls are done, the only thing they've got left is their home ground......that doesn't mean a lot to the they'll need to win everything else to be a chance.

Saders will make the finals, Playing the Reds, Lions and Cheetahs in the last 4 rounds will make them scream home.....

Essentially we want Sharks, Chiefs and Canes to winn all their games for the rest of the season, then the Brumbies need to beat the Blues (it might happen, stop laughing) and we're in without scoring a bonus point!
    While not ideal it is still possible for the Force to lose one more and still make the finals. It would require good fortune elsewhere but distinctlt possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast