Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force fullback Mitchell to announce plans for future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy91 View Post
    They have to use this money to support themselves and family for another what? Hopefully 50+ years. In that perspective it's not that much money.
    A valid point, I suppose. It's cliched I know, but 99.9% of the population - the rest of us mere mortals - manage to do just that without 10-odd years of high income from pro sport.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    hmmm how mis-informed can we be ? Anyone else here talked to the individulas and got the same impression ?
    In that case I'll have to let Drew know to stop mis-informing me about his friendships....my mistake...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I can understand where you are coming from but from a person who knows a few players I can tell you it's not easy for players to make these kind of decisions. They have alot of things to consider; their families, their future, making their selves happy, making the national team, playing were they can play their best, playing were they can gain the most experience and yes obviously money plays into it as well.

People think players make a heap of money and they shouldn't need to worry about it, but truthfully a good player may play till his 35 (if his lucky-forwards are generally older than backs, but backs start younger) so he'll maybe get 10yrs of good (well payed) professional footy. That's only up to 35, that's not even half a players life. They have to use this money to support themselves and family for another what? Hopefully 50+ years. In that perspective it's not that much money.

I'm sure Mitchell does quite like perth but he has to weigh other things in his decision and he needs to know the facts before rushing into a contract.

Trust me I know what it's like to loose players, god I was angry for months when Latham left the Reds (more angry at the ARU though) but you have to look at it from the players perspective.
    I think Shasta covered it pretty well. But I'll re-state it. What a load of bollocks.

I don't object to any unrated/badly paid forward from looking at the best choice for their future financially but someone like Drew Mitchell?!?!? He gets around 10k in match payments for the Wallabies alone. If he plays 8 Wallabies games he has probably already earnt more than most of the people on this website do in a year. That is ignoring the 100k a year the Force pay him and whatever else he gets from the ARU and 3rd party sponsorship. He doesn't have a family, he should know if he is happy or not, he and noone else is responsible for him becoming a Wallaby. It's not talent he lacks its attitude. He will get contracts from now (25) for the next 10 years and afterwards there is a world of opportunities in coaching and other areas. He'll probably have earnt $5 million by the time he retires at the rate he is going (not the rate he is worth). No that doesn't seem like a lot of money . Drew has had plenty of time to make his decision. He needs no sympathy or pity. It's not that hard.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    People think players make a heap of money and they shouldn't need to worry about it, but truthfully a good player may play till his 35 (if his lucky-forwards are generally older than backs, but backs start younger) so he'll maybe get 10yrs of good (well payed) professional footy. That's only up to 35, that's not even half a players life. They have to use this money to support themselves and family for another what? Hopefully 50+ years. In that perspective it's not that much money.
    Furthermore from what James points out, the programs for players when they reach their post-sport playing days at most clubs (all of sport not just Rugby) these days is quite extensive

To suggest that a player only has a career measured in playing terms only is a joke. Coaching, Commentary, Book Deals, Professional Speaking etc etc

vCash
    Is he still here then - thought he had left a couple of games ago!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    Is he still here then - thought he had left a couple of games ago!
    GOLD!

Pretty certain that I heard during the Brumbies match that they re officially no longer interested in him. Waratahs may also be reconsidering as Beale seems to be shaping as their replacement at 15 (assuming we don't get Halangahu)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Maybe his contract should be performance based:-

Miss a tackle - 2000
    Make a tackle +1000
    Break a tackle +100
    Miss a tackle that leads to a try -4000
    Score a try +5000
    Miss 3 tackles that costs a game -10000
    Aimless kick -500
    Good kick +250

He could prove to be quite a bargain.

Players should be paid what they are worth and not what they think they are worth.

If he signs for the force the pressure will be on to perform to the best of his abilities.
    so what, his score would be around -10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Furthermore from what James points out, the programs for players when they reach their post-sport playing days at most clubs (all of sport not just Rugby) these days is quite extensive

To suggest that a player only has a career measured in playing terms only is a joke. Coaching, Commentary, Book Deals, Professional Speaking etc etc
    Drew Mitchell isn't exactly a good enough player to coach, write a book or get a commentary deal. (No offence to him- but George Gregans books didn't even sell that well)

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    If he stays, well good, but if he goes then so be it. What really frustrates me about this is having to deal with it during the season. This should be stpped! It is detrimental to playing performance, it is distracting to the team and it is destructive to the supporting base.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think Shasta covered it pretty well. But I'll re-state it. What a load of bollocks.

I don't object to any unrated/badly paid forward from looking at the best choice for their future financially but someone like Drew Mitchell?!?!? He gets around 10k in match payments for the Wallabies alone. If he plays 8 Wallabies games he has probably already earnt more than most of the people on this website do in a year. That is ignoring the 100k a year the Force pay him and whatever else he gets from the ARU and 3rd party sponsorship. He doesn't have a family, he should know if he is happy or not, he and noone else is responsible for him becoming a Wallaby. It's not talent he lacks its attitude. He will get contracts from now (25) for the next 10 years and afterwards there is a world of opportunities in coaching and other areas. He'll probably have earnt $5 million by the time he retires at the rate he is going (not the rate he is worth). No that doesn't seem like a lot of money . Drew has had plenty of time to make his decision. He needs no sympathy or pity. It's not that hard.
    I'm not giving him sympathy or pity, i'm just saying don't get annoyed at the guy because he wants to consider his options.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Ive been considering my options for years

in my case,the status quo shall remain

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Drew Mitchell isn't exactly a good enough player to coach, write a book or get a commentary deal. (No offence to him- but George Gregans books didn't even sell that well)
    The quality of a player doesn't define the quality of the coach. Just look at Martin Johnson. Besides which Rugby Union has always been a bit of a rich boys sport and as such the old boys always look after each other. Drew will be offered a job by someone (so long as he doesn't burn all his bridges) at the end of his career that would see him very comfortably through to retirement.

I'm not giving him sympathy or pity, i'm just saying don't get annoyed at the guy because he wants to consider his options.
    We aren't annoyed. We are indifferent. We don't care. Stay, leave, whatever. Whereever he goes though, I hope he stays committed there. He has the potential to be a big star for both the Wallabies and whoever he represents. Seems like its his reluctance to dig in, put in the hard yards and rely on himself is the only thing holding him back.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    So he isn't good enough to sit on his arse and talk for 80 minutes? Are Greg Clarke or Rod Kafer any better? Most players have an author help them with their books.

So he is not a good enough player to do any of those, has he no insight into the game? So why do we want to sign him then? So we can keep up with the current trends in hair styles?

vCash
    I doubt they sit on their arses all day long post-rugby, John Welborn sure doesn't! They get normal jobs and live like normal people.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I doubt they sit on their arses all day long post-rugby, John Welborn sure doesn't! They get normal jobs and live like normal people.
    im sure they dont... but they dont have the experience of other workers and havnt spent time in businesses or at uni soo they cant just go out and get a job which will support their family, players get paid soo they can continue to support themselves and their family after their time in the game

R.I.P shawn Mackay - Rugby community will miss you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast